Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, WTF said:

good idea, cregeen is looking for a job.

It’s a shame our politicos can’t come up with good ideas. After all, they are paid well for doing fuck all, and essentially sitting on their arses, pontificating, and lecturing their constituents. 

• Like 1

IOMG are currently grandstanding to end all grandstanding with their One Stop Shops, a place with services all under roof. Licences, permits, official permissions, red tape…………. like an episode of Camberwick Green or Trumpton. Couldn’t a small version or lesser choice post office service be offered at these One Stops? 

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

IOMG are currently grandstanding to end all grandstanding with their One Stop Shops, a place with services all under roof.

Local Hubs for local people...

15 hours ago, WTF said:

good idea, cregeen is looking for a job.

Has he got a cat by any chance ?

32 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The whole local hub thing needs re thinking as does parcel drop off and pick up. The Spar model works as the retailer gets a good margin cross sell and people are in Spar anyway, a PO service in a coffee shop or similar would work well too on higher margin cross sell and wider appeal to be in there in the first place. But depressing places like Windsor Road PO who might sell a packet of envelopes and a 55p biro while you’re in sending a parcel are dead in the water and not really viable.

The Amazon style locker concept needs delivering too. Who wants to queue behind a load of old biddies picking up their pension for half an hour just to send a package, or queue at the Sorting Office for most of your lunchtime just because you weren’t in when the package was delivered? Just stick lockers in popular places or venues that have good footfall so people can just conveniently pick stuff up. The operating model is just too 1950s still which is why sub post offices can’t make any money out of providing the service.

I use Amazon lockers for deliveries when I am across the water. Brilliant idea, and people do cross spend. Great for the smaller deliveries.

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes I agree I can’t understand why they hang on to this 1950s style delivery model. Presumably it keeps people employed which seems counter intuitive to delivering cost savings. But a locker service in every major town is just a matter of buying space. I’d imagine given the potential footfall any decent hospitality venue or retailer would give them the space almost free to capture the traffic. 

Morrisons have a grocery tie in with Amazon, and there are lockers in the front of larger stores.

IOM Post have boxes in Shopshite stores to send letters.

Shopshite could house an Amazon Locker, IOM Post could put a Amazon locker up at Headquarters, and they could create their own Amazon Style locker for customers to collect small parcels, thereby eliminating queues and costs reduced. 

IOM Post live in a time warp, and IOMG obsession with treating them as a cash cow/piggy bank isn’t helping either. Making everyone do things online has created problems. So that leaves Stamp collectors and Coin Collectors. Unless there is a stampede in Port St Mary for the latest stamps featuring our esteemed politicos - the first class stamp of Rob Callister and the TT Scoreboard, Mr Squeaker and El Presidente in Fancy Dress.

Edited by 2112

28 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Will, do you not think this has been contrived to get IOMPO, and Julie Edge out of the shit. It’s so spun and stage managed its unreal. Like the St Marks Elms fiasco. None of these clowns have the courage or the bottle now to stick to their convictions or believe in their managers, whether right, wrong or indifferent. Frightened of the voters, that includes Haywood and Mr Squeaker. Still another one taking over is a short term sticking plaster, till next year, then this island goes through the same charade.

Still next week it’s likely there will be a new PO Chair. If it were my choice, I would give Julie Edge, Office of Fair Trading - it saw off Quirkio and Perkins!

Edited by 2112

Will, do you not think this has been contrived to get IOMPO, and Julie Edge out of the shit. 

2112, Click on here and draw your own conclusion:

https://www.iompost.com/our-news/press-releases/update-on-postal-services-in-port-st-mary-/

I try to avoid FaceBook at all costs, but Port St Mary Residents and Ratepayers closed group is probably the best place to gauge local opinion and views. It also gives a clear indication of how thick many new residents are, and questions how our work permit system has allowed so many people of this ilk onto this isle.

What I do think is that Juan and Michelle are probably the wrong choice of MHK’s for PSM/PE/Rushen with hindsight. Julie Edge and the Post Office - the jury is out and has been for a long time.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for compliment. I am thick-skinned. Added in a few more words of explanation for people who did not listen to Mannin Line today about Port St Mary Post Office retirement and possible closure. My basic point was that Hissingsid did listen apparently but didn't mention anything about what was said in the programme.

Chris, I appreciate that this question should be on a different thread, but could you enlighten me as to why you spoilt your vote in the CM election?

An article online on the IOMToday website, the Treasury is conducting a review of the Micard payment card for benefits, which people collect from the PO. People are encouraged to complete a questionnaire. Is a prelude to scrapping this payment, and making people open bank accounts? 

People always seem to be asked for their views before services get cut. 

Alf will have a clear ides of the cuts he wants to see now, and the supporting ..views..of why they should be cut in the first place. Presumably he will want all benefits paid into individual bank accounts so the Post Office massacre can continue.

3 minutes ago, Apple said:

People always seem to be asked for their views before services get cut. 

Alf will have a clear ides of the cuts he wants to see now, and the supporting ..views..of why they should be cut in the first place. Presumably he will want all benefits paid into individual bank accounts so the Post Office massacre can continue.

It is not really a massacre, they are getting people to use another facility 1.2 miles away which is connected by a frequent bus service.

Are you saying everyone should live within a mile of a post office?.

I actually think part of the solution would be a Micard cash dispenser for benefits situated inside the commisioners office.

4 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It is not really a massacre, they are getting people to use another facility 1.2 miles away which is connected by a frequent bus service.

Are you saying everyone should live within a mile of a post office?.

It isn't really a massacre but another slow eradication of a once well used public service.

There are a lot of people in PSM and Castletown who were opposed to these closures for various reasons. It wasn't only distances that were stated as problematic at the public meetings.

And stamp costs going up just in time for Christmas. 

I wonder when mobile phones will become mandatory as it seem we will soon not be able to access any government service without one. Mind you, they are supplied free to Government staff aren't they.

Edited by Apple
typo
  • Like 2