Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

7 hours ago, woolley said:

You wouldn't have the luxury of making a decision as to which side of the business would give you the best income. The reality is that you would have to continue to run both to just about make enough to keep your head above water with the revenue from both sides of the business diminishing in real terms over time. Or you could give up the struggle. That's where some of these businesses are now.

I think this is what scrutiny committee are looking at, they want sub post offices to continue but know they need a subsidy to do so. How can the Post Office generate more income to give more subsidies or should Treasury pick up bill like for meat plant, farmers subsidies , horse trams etc

3 hours ago, Banker said:

I think this is what scrutiny committee are looking at, they want sub post offices to continue but know they need a subsidy to do so. How can the Post Office generate more income to give more subsidies or should Treasury pick up bill like for meat plant, farmers subsidies , horse trams etc

I can see your point but postal services are an important service to the community. There is a case for subsidy in several areas, particularly on a small island such as ours. 

13 hours ago, woolley said:

I know. I didn't say otherwise. The only involvement of the post office is to pay the sub-postmaster, usually the shop proprietor, a salary. This salary can be surprisingly small. It is only because the shops sell other things that they have managed to hang on for as long as they have, hence my point that the private side of the business is subsidising the continued existence of the post office. As the post office withdraws different aspects of its service from these locations over time - as recently highlighted by the case of Ballasalla - it becomes increasingly difficult for the private operators to justify continuing in business.

Does IOMPO pay the sub-postmaster a living wage, or not?

4 hours ago, Banker said:

There's some international research here: http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloader/researchOnPostalMarketsTrendsAndDriversForInternationalLetterMailParcelsAndExpressMailServicesEn.pdf.pdf

There's been talk of folks working from home in the pandemic crisis missing the office environment & actually hiring desk space from local office providers

Each major town on the island should perhaps have a 'Hub' - is the Ramsey Court House one?

Maybe IOMG could assist in funding by putting PO services in the HUB?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Each major town on the island should perhaps have a 'Hub' - is the Ramsey Court House one?

Maybe IOMG could assist in funding by putting PO services in the HUB?

Are you seriously suggesting they put Ramsey post office back into Ramsey  courthouse? How would that save money?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Does IOMPO pay the sub-postmaster a living wage, or not?

No. It isn't that kind of relationship. Salary is really a misnomer. Simply a payment to provide a service. I note that in the UK in 2018 the salaries of sub postmasters ranged between 10k and 50k. 

1 minute ago, woolley said:

No. It isn't that kind of relationship. Salary is really a misnomer. Simply a payment to provide a service. I note that in the UK in 2018 the salaries of sub postmasters ranged between 10k and 50k. 

What's the range on the Isle of Man?

This is a comment from Iom today but mirrors my experience also

Personally, if I never see another Amazon email saying "Hermes have got your parcel" I'll be over the moon. My experience of them is that they are unreliable, leave packages in the open, don't bother to ring the doorbell, don't get signatures (though I accept that might be a CV-19 policy), and chuck parcels around carelessly. (A recent parcel delivered by them had a massive dent in the packaging where something heavy had clearly been dropped on my parcel. Inside, the good were seriously damaged despite a triple layer of thick bubble wrap and cardboard packing) If you want to send something to the IoM by post, it costs no more to send it to the next town across, than it does to send it here. I have no idea what Hermes' USP is, because it sure as hell isn't quality of service.

• Like 1