Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I hope all involved, including some from IOM, understand the level of financial commitment required and that they really have the support of the local community. Having the local Coucil on-side is one thing, residents are another.

Quite a few of those residents may be local business owners who may welcome the potential visitor boost? If they're hungry enough for people's money, particularly after COVID, it could be a great persuader?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Quite a few of those residents may be local business owners who may welcome the potential visitor boost? If they're hungry enough for people's money, particularly after COVID, it could be a great persuader?

Stats suggest that (along with most other areas of UK) the +65 age bracket for IOW will be 28% of total population by next year: https://www.iow.gov.uk/azservices/documents/2552-Demographics-General-population-October-2011-Done.pdf

I do wonder if the Council really do speak for the people.

• Like 1

They probably have no idea how very expensive this project will be, we do not know the true cost of the TT and it has been around for long years with a lot of it’s inter structure, grandstands, pits, bridges, etc being already in place.   Our government is prepared to pour money into our racing to ensure the viability of a lot of our businesses, not just the obvious ones any money spend trickles down through a lot of our community.  A hotel for example does well so staff are employed and the food industry, drink industry, laundering, cleaning products even window cleaners all sorts of people depend on the money being spent plus the shops, cafe’s etc it practically affects every business on the a Island, taxis, carpet cleaners the list is so long.   But to do this a lot of money has to be invested by the Tax payers and the confidence and appetite has to be there.   The worst aspect of the plan is the time of year and the weather in October.  However, we shall see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

They probably have no idea how very expensive this project will be, we do not know the true cost of the TT and it has been around for long years with a lot of it’s inter structure, grandstands, pits, bridges, etc being already in place.   Our government is prepared to pour money into our racing to ensure the viability of a lot of our businesses, not just the obvious ones any money spend trickles down through a lot of our community.  A hotel for example does well so staff are employed and the food industry, drink industry, laundering, cleaning products even window cleaners all sorts of people depend on the money being spent plus the shops, cafe’s etc it practically affects every business on the a Island, taxis, carpet cleaners the list is so long.   But to do this a lot of money has to be invested by the Tax payers and the confidence and appetite has to be there.   The worst aspect of the plan is the time of year and the weather in October.  However, we shall see.

October can be lovely down on the south coast.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

They are practicing the two days before the racing, October weather permitting. They have not a clue.   I hope they have lots of reasonable accommodation camping will not be much fun at that time of year.   And with the advisors they are listening to, clerk of course especially it will be chaos.

I wish IoW all the best, however the Isle of Man TT has taken over 100 years to evolve and to adapt - and that is happening all the time. For example, the 1980s/90s saw enough hotel rooms on Douglas Promenade after the drop off in tourism, along with pubs and nightclubs etc looking for business. Then the upsurge in new flats took off and the Douglas Promenade changed, so Homestay was phased in (late 1980s) along with a proliferation of campsites/glamping.

The IoM TT racing itself and the course has evolved, including the installing of marshals, the policing and emergency services, the general infrastructure adapt accordingly.

Our local businesses, such as restaurants, pubs, petrol stations etc are geared up for the TT upsurge. All retail outlets know to what extent they need to stock up for May/June.

It's 'in the DNA'.

The general population, for or against the TT, know and more-or-less accept what is going to happen. No one has been on the Isle of Man longer than the TT. Not anymore. If you don't like it there's a boat...etc (and many do of course).

The boys organising the IoW racing is one thing and I wish them the best of luck, but the TT  is a lot more than just the racing. And no single person, not even a large committee, can organise and arrange it. The IoM TT happens because many 1000s of people make it happen, as they have done for decades.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

October can be lovely down on the south coast.

But it only needs to rain the day of the races and they're scuppered, unless they're planning to introduce additional days (I haven't read anywhere in their blurb about that yet). 

At the end of the day they're all adults and should know all the risks involved in starting something like this. Good luck to them.

• Like 2

I really hope this works out, but i have my reservations as looks like there are quite a few house's on the circuit. I bet 40 to 50% of the population have retired and moved to the IOW for a quiet life, and the last thing they need is being locked up for a week in the middle of a race track with 50,000 spectators. 

The Military Road is spectacular, and i have played golf at Freshwater a few times, which is a mile from the proposed track. The last time i played there, the Island was clear shies and 30oC, but there was really thick sea mist on the whole of the Military Road and the course was shut!! Apparently, this sea mist comes in quite regularly, which isn't ideal.

There will inevitably be serious injury's ans possibly deaths, which is accepted (not the right word) by the Manx population, but i'm not sure it will be tolerated by the IOW pensioners. I'm guessing they have any idea how ferocious and hard core road racing really is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, winnie said:

I really hope this works out, but i have my reservations as looks like there are quite a few house's on the circuit. I bet 40 to 50% of the population have retired and moved to the IOW for a quiet life, and the last thing they need is being locked up for a week in the middle of a race track with 50,000 spectators. 

The Military Road is spectacular, and i have played golf at Freshwater a few times, which is a mile from the proposed track. The last time i played there, the Island was clear shies and 30oC, but there was really thick sea mist on the whole of the Military Road and the course was shut!! Apparently, this sea mist comes in quite regularly, which isn't ideal.

There will inevitably be serious injury's ans possibly deaths, which is accepted (not the right word) by the Manx population, but i'm not sure it will be tolerated by the IOW pensioners. I'm guessing they have any idea how ferocious and hard core road racing really is.

Where do get the figure of 50,000 spectators from ? IOMTT doesn’t attract that many, despite many attempts to manipulate the figures.Our numbers ar3 well below that, and they are spread over at least 14 days.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hissingsid said:

They are practicing the two days before the racing, October weather permitting. They have not a clue.   I hope they have lots of reasonable accommodation camping will not be much fun at that time of year.   And with the advisors they are listening to, clerk of course especially it will be chaos.

Isle of Wight has plenty of tourist accommodation; it’s geared up for tourism. Gary Thompson is probably the best person they could appoint. It has every chance of success provided the organisers can secure the funding. I don’t think you know what you are talking about, to be honest.