Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

36 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Where do get the figure of 50,000 spectators from ? IOMTT doesn’t attract that many, despite many attempts to manipulate the figures.Our numbers ar3 well below that, and they are spread over at least 14 days.

I think Oliver's Mount gets around 40-50k per event and that's a very small course.

7 minutes ago, joebean said:

Isle of Wight has plenty of tourist accommodation; it’s geared up for tourism. Gary Thompson is probably the best person they could appoint. It has every chance of success provided the organisers can secure the funding. I don’t think you know what you are talking about, to be honest. 

Too many 'only the Manx can organise etc.'. Looking forward to this, once they have a year or two's experience maybe more types of racing can take place on the IOW.

The IOW's cracking place, lived there for a while.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Irongate said:

I wonder what the feeling is from the TT organizers the Gov and DoE as if this does take off it could have a serious impact on the TT find it hard to believe that Gary Thompson is involved in this as the island pay ACU events a fortune 

This is not the only UK-based road race being proposed, with relaxation of restrictions others will be made public 'in the future'.

IMO (welcome to be corrected) the very big feature of the IOM is the magnificent mountain section, I know of UK groups looking at similar road sections.

Due to the high cost of insurance and the unwillingness of local residents proposed road races in the Scottish Borders Peak District and Wales which had both Plater and Thompson involved have all come to nothing Time will tell but the cost of just the safety equipment for a 14 mile course will run into hundreds of thousands alone 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irongate said:

I wonder what the feeling is from the TT organizers the Gov and DoE as if this does take off it could have a serious impact on the TT find it hard to believe that Gary Thompson is involved in this as the island pay ACU events a fortune 

Gary Thompson is employed by the ACU isn't he? The ACU's role is to promote and organise motorcycle sport. If he has knowledge and experience that he can bring to bear in their pursuit of their aims, then they'll use it. The IoM doesn't have a monopoly on road racing (although some would like to think it does).

It does have a unique circuit but possesses a lot of inherent disadvantages in the scale of its now required management and organisation and also its location as regards to its travel/accessibility costs.

If this stacks up and goes ahead it might well provide unwelcome competition for the TT. A more accessible, affordable option for the fans. No 3 hr seacrossing at £300+. A smaller scale of organisation for the ACU.

The road racing season already easily runs through October. Would October weather in the IoW really be any worse than some of the atrocious TT "summer" weather recently experienced? Who was it that refused to open up the NSC changing rooms a couple of years back so that half-drowned fans could change and dry out?

DfE need to be keeping an eye on this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Gary Thompson is employed by the ACU isn't he? The ACU's role is to promote and organise motorcycle sport. If he has knowledge and experience that he can bring to bear in their pursuit of their aims, then they'll use it. The IoM doesn't have a monopoly on road racing (although some would like to think it does).

It does have a unique circuit but possesses a lot of inherent disadvantages in the scale of its now required management and organisation and also its location as regards to its travel/accessibility costs.

If this stacks up and goes ahead it might well provide unwelcome competition for the TT. A more accessible, affordable option for the fans. No 3 hr seacrossing at £300+. A smaller scale of organisation for the ACU.

The road racing season already easily runs through October. Would October weather in the IoW really be any worse than some of the atrocious TT "summer" weather recently experienced? Who was it that refused to open up the NSC changing rooms a couple of years back so that half-drowned fans could change and dry out?

DfE need to be keeping an eye on this.

Re: weather, here's Shanklin for Oct. 2019.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/shanklin/po37-7/october-weather/328830?year=2019

As i wrote previously, October on the south coast is generally very pleasant, wearing shorts until mid-November.

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Where do get the figure of 50,000 spectators from ? IOMTT doesn’t attract that many, despite many attempts to manipulate the figures.Our numbers ar3 well below that, and they are spread over at least 14 days.

IOW population around 220k, so say 10% attend plus 25k from mainland is around 50k. Would say that is very conservative.

16 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

What is the exact relationship between Duke and the Diamond Races? You can't help notice that they immediately publicised the event through their social media channels, email lists, and website to existing TT fans, and are already advertising travel packages. It seems that there has been a significant amount of collaboration between the parties involved.

Duke were previously partners to the TT in providing the 'official' website and social media channels for the event, which were not relinquished at the end of the tenure. Duke then trademarked 'IOMTT' for their own use, potentially stifling the government's attempt to build its TT brand presence. It is staggering that the government didn't publicly object to this potential infringement of the TT brand, seeing that they have often taken issue with small island retailers and individuals for minor violations.

Duke's extremely valuable social media audience was previously built on the back of government support and now is being used to promote an event that could be a potential competitor to the TT. What notice was given to the government about these plans and how can they continue to be a partner of the TT on this basis?

How far did the £188,428 TT World Series feasibility study influence the development of the Diamond Races? It does not take a huge imagination to see the direction this could take in further deals with multiple smaller road racing events to create a 'world series'.

Edited by ShohSlaynt
  • Like 1

Never said i lived there, only visited a few times. My memory not what it was!!

Just checked, and they had 60,000 people for the music festival last year , so no problems getting large numbers over. The famous 1970 IOW festival with Jimmy Hendrix's last appearance had a reputed attendance of over 600,000 !!

Duke registered the IOMTT web address years ago, probably before the TT trademark was registered by Government. I doubt whether anything could have been done to object to it. Duke are free to pursue any marketing activity they wish to. I suppose a lot depends on whether you view the Diamond Races as competition or not. Realistically, if an event that is said to be unique and that has a history extending back to 1907, is threatened by a new event that is does not have any of the TT “unique” features, it does not say much for the strength of the TT or its marketing. The real issues for the TT are cost of attending; accessibility; the demographics of the audience; festival length in a changing holiday market; lack of focused marketing activity; lack of paid-for accommodation; dependence on public funding; political interference and resistance to change. No doubt the organising team have many of these issues in their sights but alongside these, the Diamond Races would lack pretty low in my assessment of threats.