Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

The Isle of Wight TT was a potential catalogue of disasters waiting to happen. The benefits couldn't outweigh the risks.

I don’t agree. It was going to be run on a relatively small portion of the road network and not an arterial route. The Isle of Wight has a very established tourism sector (much more than the IOM) and had a good team of organisers. The task of persuading the Council and population that the risks outweighed the benefits was a big one and I am not surprised it proved to be too difficult.

Edited by joebean
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So is this back on? (was it ever off?)

It's on: https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/isle-of-wight-race-organisers-grateful-for-manx-input/

It was off: https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-wight-diamond-races-reportedly-scrapped/

I can't help feeling that somehow, somewhere, in some murky long gone email or conversation, the Isle of Wight has been inadvertently mixed up with the Isle of Man and somehow this idea has grown legs, past the point of no return.

Edited by Barlow

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

"There are still a few issues they have to overcome before it goes ahead"

Given that it's supposed to be only six months away, I wouldn't put money on it happening, next year at least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

I think there's many Wighties who aren't convinced it's a good idea. So it's a bit like the Isle of Man. 

Yeah but, anyone complains here they can be told "it was here well before you, If you don't like it there's a boat... etc". And that's whether they are 'Manx' or not Manx.

To be fair, many people take that offer up for two weeks end of May.

7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Is the 2022 TT going to happen here?

it shouldn't while there are any travel restrictions/requirements for anyone who actually lives here and contributes to the economy.

and i cannot see them checking landing forms and ID for every bike that comes off the boat.

• Like 1

There was a picture of a couple of men who were giving advice to the Isle of Wight lot with their experience of the Isle of Man TT.   The races are not like for like so how helpful any advice would be is doubtful unless it was on the safety front we have lots of lessons have been learned incidents thats for sure.   The advantage we have is all are interstructure and furniture is there or to hand, apart from the score board …..which is another matter.   We have done it for years, know the drill, locals are race ready whether they like it or not.   No amount of advice is going to prepare them for an influx of thousands of bikes and bikers I bet they only do it once if they do it at all .

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Is the 2022 TT going to happen here?

Not if the COVID figures increases. We aren’t far off from Christmas. They are anticipating a surge in cases within the UK, with the blame being placed on the unvaccinated, and an emphasis being put on the older folk to get their booster third vaccination, 

22 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

No amount of advice is going to prepare them for an influx of thousands of bikes and bikers I bet they only do it once if they do it at all .

Or the influx of residents in a hundred or so years time who move there voluntarily and then spend their lives whinging about the races because they inconvenience them aren't safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1