Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

Well Dilly the TT costs ten million, allegedly, but does that include all the time spent On the mountain road by the DOI keeping it in fair shape not just before the races but other times.   The Diamond races will have to start from scratch they have not got the interstructure such as grandstands, bridges, score boards emergency access sorted out .  Perhaps the course will not require all that being a mere 12.4 miles but there are houses involved.   It does not take long to spend four million when you are promoting something for the first time and sorting out safety aspects.   The main problem as I see it is the sea mists every Island is subjected to.   A relation worked in Jersey for a couple of years and reckons the mists there are as bad if not worse than over here, they are looking at a two day event, getting racing weather for two days together is pushing it especially in October, they have no wriggle room at all.  I quoted Jersey but any Island or coastline is suspect when it comes to mist.

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I read the cost of the T.T, was nearly ten million or was that the loss incurred by the cancellation, apologies if wrong, but I still see the Diamond lot are on a hiding to nothing.

Laurence Skelly stated last week that the non-running of the TT/FOM had contributed £5.5M to DfE "savings" of £6.5M during the Budget debate.

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Laurence Skelly stated last week that the non-running of the TT/FOM had contributed £5.5M to DfE "savings" of £6.5M during the Budget debate.

No no no no no, we have lost at least 50 million going on previous year's proclamations!

Mr Skelly stated in Tynwald about the fairy houses

"The coverage surrounding the project is estimated to have reached over 6.5 million people, with an Advertising Equivalent Value (AVE) of £367,570. The return on the investment is 14 times the cost of the initiative if measured in these terms."

So just think what cancellation of TT will have Saved it must be ten, if not twenty times these pretend figures.

19 minutes ago, Holte End said:

"The coverage surrounding the project is estimated to have reached over 6.5 million people, with an Advertising Equivalent Value (AVE) of £367,570. The return on the investment is 14 times the cost of the initiative if measured in these terms."

So just think what cancellation of TT will have Saved it must be ten, if not twenty times these pretend figures.

I had forgotten what Skelly said about those stupid fairy houses.

What he should have said was that 6.5 million people now think we are an island that is inhabited by people stupid enough to scatter very expensive decorative pieces, that should be in display cabinets,  over the countryside with no protection where a scumbag can put a boot through them with no fear of being caught.

11 hours ago, Holte End said:

I'm concerned about what it cost in time and salary to dream up those figures and then incorporate them into a speech. Somebody (maybe plural) must get paid to do it.

Then again they must be busy given the volume of it that Skelly spouts.

As a former resident of the Isle of Wight (10 years) including living just outside one of the proposed circuit villages (Shorewell Pr. 'Shorrell') I thought I might offer a few observations on claims made;

Tourist infrastructure / population.

Whilst it is true that the year round permanent population is indeed only circa. 125,000, this swells to around 300,000 over the whole summer due to 2nd home owners and tourists - there is more than enough accommodation, pubs, restaurants, and nightlife to support this influx. Whereas IOM has 2 return ferry sailings in winter and 4 in summer - IOW has 78 daily returns! (Max Pax 892 per vessel). Total TT visitors and their bikes could be comfortably shipped in one morning.

Attitude to risk / objections / Event organisation.

Home to Cowes Week (much bigger organisation than TT) Cowes Torquay Powerboat Race, Round the Island yacht race (2,000 boats), Fabio Buzzi (172 MPH record holder in a boat) Schneider Trophy airplane races, Fastnet race - Just off the circuit itself is the UK's (then secret) Rocket launch site (Black arrow etc.) Home to many ex-RAF WW2 fighter pilots and Racing car drivers. Rock festivals (600,000 reported). Sir Max Aitken ( Flying Ace, Powerboat and sailing ace), Cockerill (Hovercraft inventor) etc. etc They are 'Can do' people by nature.

Mist / Mizzle.

Summer crops arrive 3 weeks earlier on the IOW than even nearby south coast (Hampshire) - Much warmer and less misty than IOM, in two years as a full-time Yachtmaster Instructor there  I did 'Blind Pilotage' training /testing only once in real fog - the rest of the time we had to blank the windows out. Sunburn is a bigger problem by far.

If they choose to do it, then they have the capability to do it (easily). I wish them luck.

• Like 1