Isle of Wight TT

Capt_Mainwaring

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I went to the IOW ten years ago for a few days in late September and the weather was not that great I do not think they will be troubled by Sunburn in October.

Don't you believe it.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Just a thought, but Red Bull were sniffing around the TT a few years back. 

Underwriting and sponsoring something like this would be right up their street. 

Is the TT not too much of a death fest for Red Bull?

Extreme sports, yes but turning competitors into something akin to bolognese sauce against stone walls does not sell soft drinks IMO.

"Gives You Wings" is not meant to refer to the angel variety...……………………..

ETA. If the IOW version can make their course safer with proper safety barriers (not 8'x4' sheets of ply like we use here) around the bits that are going to bring a riders body to a very abrupt stop they might do well.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If the IOW version can make their course safer with proper safety barriers (not 8'x4' sheets of ply like we use here) around the bits that are going to bring a riders body to a very abrupt stop they might do well.

There seem to be an awful lot of walls on the proposed course (and quite a lot of housing once you get away from the Coast Road).  And a lot of it looks quite narrow - if you fitted proper safety stuff there probably wouldn't be enough space to get the bikes through the middle.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Deaths of visitors to the TT is not unusual. Very high speeds on open roads is commonplace.

That may be something the locals will have to accept as normal -  or a much higher policing of roads would be required.

To counter that, outside of the derestricted areas compliance with speed limits are high. The imposition of a 50 on the Douglas to Ramsey coast road was a game changer.

12 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Deaths of visitors to the TT is not unusual. Very high speeds on open roads is commonplace.

That may be something the locals will have to accept as normal -  or a much higher policing of roads would be required.

But unlike here, they don't have roads where there are  no speed limits, so wannabe racers wouldn't be able to find out the limit of their ability

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevster said:

But unlike here, they don't have roads where there are  no speed limits, so wannabe racers wouldn't be able to find out the limit of their ability

Any area that attracts a larger than normal concentration of motorcyclists is bound to see an increase in motorcycle incidents. However, it is largely the lure of unrestricted roads that encourages risk- taking, riding beyond ability and the resultant serious injuries and fatalities. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Is the TT not too much of a death fest for Red Bull?

Extreme sports, yes but turning competitors into something akin to bolognese sauce against stone walls does not sell soft drinks IMO.

"Gives You Wings" is not meant to refer to the angel variety...……………………..

ETA. If the IOW version can make their course safer with proper safety barriers (not 8'x4' sheets of ply like we use here) around the bits that are going to bring a riders body to a very abrupt stop they might do well.

To be fair the ply sheeting is not designed to prevent abrupt stops is it? It is placed in areas of the course where bikes and riders can be deflected down the road to slide to a more gradual stop. Areas where an abrupt stop is likely have Recticel barriers. Racing at the TT is dangerous and it simply can’t be made safe. The risk can only ever be mitigated. That is true for all road racing and I doubt whether the proposed races on the Isle of Wight will be any different. The local council will need to go into this in the knowledge that they are facilitating risk and the organisers need to have an honest conversation about that. I suspect that has already happened. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wanderer said:

Hi Manximus , How would you compare living on the 2 islands , i have only visited , both lovely but quite different . Very interested in your views. Thanks.

After 24 hours contemplating your question I managed to come up with the following....

1. The Manx economy in general and the taxation system in particular is far superior to the IOW.

2. Mostly free parking and those wonderful parking discs are a big advantage.

3. IOM is a much shorter transit time to the sailing waters of the West coast of Scotland.

I came up with those three within 5 mins of reading your post, but after that I struggled to add to the list. Help me out before I get lynched please.

• Like 1

Hey Maximus , thanks for taking the time to answer , I am contemplating a move hence my interest.

The IOW seems a lot busier with tourists  ,apart from TT and is smaller. Sunnier and a bit warmer. Shorwell is one of the nice bits.

IOM is more beautiful , only my opinion but I prefer rugged.

As I said , I have only visited both , about 8 times each , different than living there so value your opinion as you've lived in both.