Manx Care

Apple

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes - check earlier in this thread.

There has been many instances of this over the past few years. Was it done to 'reward' certain people or to try and keep talented people in the organisation ? Impossible to determine now of course.

The biggest problem as I can see as regards this and several other likewise issues is the HR Department. It seems to always avoid any criticism or accountability, yet the way it operates is one of the key elements that needs to be changed. 

It now needs separating out and away from all front line services. That is the crucial next step. Take it totally out of Government and privatise. That will be a key development in separating out political interference. And stop the jobs for the boys accusations. 

• Like 5

Some of the posters on here have real life experience of the jobs for the boys antics. Some for various reasons can not post what they know. 

In my view the DHSC has over the years appointed several people that are related or in relationships that in the olden days would have been frowned upon. It is inevitable that this will happen on the island. 

The problem lies when anyone in any sort of position to determine how recruitment is supposed to be open, fair and transparent sets any parameters that even by implication deters managers from making the "wrong' choices".

As for the pressures of being encouraged  to "vacate" certain roles so others can step up - well, don't get me started.

All of this, and more, is known to DHSC HR, but they do not do enough to deter it. I wonder why ?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I dont. Your point falls down at Andrew Foster.

Does it ?

There are still some appointments that have been made, and some recently, that were not open to wider competition. They like a closed shop, some people. 

End of the beginning or beginning of the end?

We've already thrown well over a million at Sir JM, 3.5 Millions at the new management structure and several millions at the Transformation team consisting of many UK based consulting firms(allegedly). Where will it end? Only time will tell if we've been had!

Edited by Dr. Grumpy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Only time will tell if we've been had!

After being very cynical at times about whether this will bring about the changes much needed I am beginning to be more hopeful that this might just deliver what it says on the tin.

I was pleasantly bouyed by some of the Tynwald reactions / comments on the Duty of Candour (shame on Ashford though for not linking to the complaints process ...Yet !! )

We have new blood. We will know sooner than later if they can do what is required. 

Next steps include scrap the old "critical friendships" like the HSCC, privatise the HR functions, reform the IRBs for both health and social services, and publish, publish, publish data and information so people can make their own minds up. 

Oh yes - make clinical staff put on line their qualifications, histories, performances, specialities etc. And publish Board meetings minutes. Share the information - share the responsibility.

That'll do for the first 12 months.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Apple said:

After being very cynical at times about whether this will bring about the changes much needed I am beginning to be more hopeful that this might just deliver what it says on the tin.

I was pleasantly bouyed by some of the Tynwald reactions / comments on the Duty of Candour (shame on Ashford though for not linking to the complaints process ...Yet !! )

We have new blood. We will know sooner than later if they can do what is required. 

Next steps include scrap the old "critical friendships" like the HSCC, privatise the HR functions, reform the IRBs for both health and social services, and publish, publish, publish data and information so people can make their own minds up. 

Oh yes - make clinical staff put on line their qualifications, histories, performances, specialities etc. And publish Board meetings minutes. Share the information - share the responsibility.

We live in hope....

13 hours ago, Apple said:

You're not asking for much are you?😁

Listening to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece this morning with the new ‘boss’ of Manx Care, saying they have failed if there is an overspend is revelatory, in comparison to .’Ashie’ bullshit, warm words and complete full house of Manx bullshit bingo. The favourite thing which he thought was impressive was the amount of money IOMG was spending on ‘Manx Care’ for the Salaries of the new Directors. Ashies mentality is think of the civil servants. I’m sure come September he think what can I entice the voters of Douglas North with? 

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You're not asking for much are you?😁

There are very few costs implications for any on that list.

What is would show though is the philosophical / cultural change that we really need to see.

Most of this would be very easy to achieve - given the will. The era of arrogance must end now.

Throw out anyone who cannot live with the new "style". Get that right and everything else will flow from it.

I'll be lobbying my MHK to push for this new approach. As we now realise, almost too late, the health and social care on the island is too important not to be right, effective and financially appropriate.