Manx Care

Apple

43 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

It shows a lack of attention to detail and lack of planning.

Can you imagine a business having the same problem?

Yes.

I’m sure, sorry I know, some businesses have had much more serious problems due to lack of attention to detail and planning. Say, for example, a business did not get regulatory approval before the intended roll out date of a new product. That’s more serious. There will be plenty of other examples.

Its not always private sector good, public sector bad 

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes.

I’m sure, sorry I know, some businesses have had much more serious problems due to lack of attention to detail and planning. Say, for example, a business did not get regulatory approval before the intended roll out date of a new product. That’s more serious. There will be plenty of other examples.

That's quite a specific example.

I was asking can you imagine a business doing a rebrand and forgetting the letterheads.

Edited by Boris Johnson

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes.

That would be the fault of the regulatory body= piss poor governance.

48 minutes ago, finlo said:

Not really.   Any Regulator can only do so much.  

Also, in any industry if a Regulator unearths an issue then that's a good thing surely? It's job is to regulate, inspect, review.   Educate the people and companies it deals with.

55 minutes ago, finlo said:

Increasingly that seems to be the assumption. If ever there is wrongdoing, it isn't the fault of the wrongdoer, but a failure of someone else for not stopping them. Although we live in a rule based society, it is as though the default position is that people shouldn't have to follow the rules unless someone forces them to.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, Boris Johnson said:

I never know with the overspends, whats to say that the budget is just too low? Who decides what money is required at the start of the year?

I know you have to have a budget but is it a sensible figure in the first place?

Is it just a case of moving 3 million staff costs to DHSC and lowering the budget already for Manx care.  

This from Callister's Facebook apparently (on another thread);

However, the Manx Care (Duty of Candour Procedure) Regulations 2021 will address some of those concerns, but work will be needed in order to ensure that any complaints are dealt with correctly, and in a timely manner.

There is no correlation between the Duty of Candour and the complaints process. In fact the DOC does't even mention the word 'complaint'. 

But surely that was just a small oversight. 

22 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

ts not always private sector good, public sector bad 

That is not the issue.

Manx Care should have been delayed during a pandemic crisis. There was time to do it, but political ambitions came into play in my view. That's all it is. 

What it created though was very much linked to what has been referred to by Dr Glovers evidence. Anyone in and around the DHSC for the past 5 years or so knows it, and those responsible. 

3 hours ago, Apple said:

That is not the issue.

Manx Care should have been delayed during a pandemic crisis. There was time to do it, but political ambitions came into play in my view. That's all it is. 

What it created though was very much linked to what has been referred to by Dr Glovers evidence. Anyone in and around the DHSC for the past 5 years or so knows it, and those responsible. 

Apple, is there really no hope that Manx Care will succeed?

12 minutes ago, gymbabe said:

Apple, is there really no hope that Manx Care will succeed?

As DA pointed out this is only the beginning. The milestones though have not been set in terms of quality of services.

For example:

There is a budget set for this year (it's in the mandate document I think but will check). If that is not met then a 1% penalty clause comes into effect. What is not clear is where that money comes from. Is it knocked off next years budget? Do we cut clinical  services or Executives pay to make up for it?

What budget figure are we saying will be acceptable and when?

What waiting lists do we regard as acceptable?

There are so many other issues surrounding governance of the services and not much space to cover here. But to answer your question @gymbabe then we have to know what constitutes that success and what tools and targets we will use to measure and accept in terms of numbers and standards to identify it. Hope this helps. 

At the very worst it might be the opportunity to create different ways of working in the clinical areas where it is needed but in my view it opens up opportunities to repair the damage done by  some of the personalities we have had over the last 5 years (see the Dr Glover thread) and their various impacts. Some people I have spoken to have been through really bad moments when dealing with the DHSC and that damage in some cases can not be repaired though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1