Manx Care

Apple

24 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

To make the health expenditure comparable, try with the GDP as the denominator: Here

So, we appear to be spending 5% of our GDP on health (data from IOM Gov website) compared to the 10% UK spends. Let that sink in (unless I got the decimal points wrong)

Edited by Dr. Grumpy
Corrected decimal point

4 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

To make the health expenditure comparable, try with the GDP as the denominator: Here

IoM Data not available there. The problem with using percentage of GDP as a guide to whether funding is adequate is that when the economy shrinks, suddenly your health spend appears adequate even though the actual amount spent may not change.

The question really is whether the health service is able to deliver what it needs to deliver, as measured by performance. If it isn't, is that because the funding is insufficient, or is it because it isn't being spent wisely (or a combination). Percentage of GDP really doesn't help you with that. It may help you get an idea of whether it is affordable, and if it isn't you then have to look at what is affordable, but that is a different discussion.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What about using outputs as a measurement? 

Far more sensible than using percentage GDP as a measure. There are all sorts of measurements that can be used to see how the NHS is performing, waiting lists being an obvious one, survival rates etc etc. The problem is that it is much easier to divide one figure by another and say aren't we doing well, or look how badly we are doing

16 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

So, we appear to be spending 0.05% of our GDP on health (data from IOM Gov website). Let that sink in (unless I got the decimal points wrong)

That would make our GDP around £440 billion! I think GDP is around 5.5 billion but I may be wrong. If correct, our spend as a percentage of GDP is about 4% which is a lot lower than the UK, but our GDP per capita is over twice theirs. It really only illustrates the weakness of percentage GDP as a measure of effective healthcare.

4 minutes ago, Newbie said:

That would make our GDP around £440 billion! I think GDP is around 5.5 billion but I may be wrong. If correct, our spend as a percentage of GDP is about 4% which is a lot lower than the UK, but our GDP per capita is over twice theirs. It really only illustrates the weakness of percentage GDP as a measure of effective healthcare.

I did get the decimals wrong and have amended my post. Thank you

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

What's with the cans of pop too? You couldn't make it up.

The cans of pop? It’s hardly unusual for refreshments to be provided during management ( or any other) meetings.

Is this something you aspire to?

Perhaps with a digestive biscuit to show you really have made it?

Work hard and it may happen for you one day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaymann said:

Just saw this on Twitter... interesting.

I wonder where Josem scraped the photo from? He isn't the hand behind the camera, surely?

Noble's boardroom methinks.

Dramatis personae, L-R

?

?

Oliver Radford

Richard Wild

?

Barbara Scott

Cath Quilliam

Teresa Cope

Not sure where the medical representation is (interim medical director post advertised in January, Dr Ros Ranson MIA) or anyone from social care - adult or child.

As per previous posts, at least four of the old guard there.

4 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I wonder where Josem scraped the photo from? He isn't the hand behind the camera, surely?

Noble's boardroom methinks.

Dramatis personae, L-R

?

?

Oliver Radford

Richard Wild

?

Barbara Scott

Cath Quilliam

Teresa Cope

Not sure where the medical representation is (interim medical director post advertised in January, Dr Ros Ranson MIA) or anyone from social care - adult or child.

As per previous posts, at least four of the old guard there.

They (Manx Care) put it on Twitter apparently, since shredded, sorry, deleted.

Edited by manxchester
  • Haha 2