Manx Care

Apple

13 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

That’s an interesting article...but it’s blown out of the water by ‘Missing ferret is found in bed...with a stranger’.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, asitis said:

I certainly hope so, my impression of Nobles has been one of lions led by a raft of donkeys !

Not too far wrong in my opinion.

Lets give the man a chance to bring in what he seems to already seems to have achieved elsewhere. I get there impression that some managers and clinicians have been there far too long now, and it needs streamlining and modernising, in both clinical skills, nursing practices and management / staff relations. Time some of the rest of the old guard went.

The last few years seem to have been a pedalling exercise for the review and for the changes to be planned.  We are going to have Manx Care, yes it will cost initially, but hopefully new, younger and more up to date staff will arrive on the back of it. What's not to like!

I certainly hope so, my impression of Nobles has been one of lions led by a raft of donkeys !

Lets give the man a chance to bring in what he seems to already seems to have achieved elsewhere. I get there impression that some managers and clinicians have been there far too long now, and it needs streamlining and modernising, in both clinical skills, nursing practices and management / staff relations. Time some of the rest of the old guard went.

The last few years seem to have been a pedalling exercise for the review and for the changes to be planned.  We are going to have Manx Care, yes it will cost initially, but hopefully new, younger and more up to date staff will arrive on the back of it. What's not to like!

Edited by Apple
replication. due to software problem
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Apple said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58208&headline=We will be accountable to you&sectionIs=News&searchyear=2020&cat=Health

Oh Dear, he's not going to be on the island and will only be working part time. 

In which case he's simply replicating the current arrangement of the DHSC CEO, the lady who similarly never joined us on-Island permanently and was also part time, retaining her UK NHS responsibilities.

Our political leadership seems completely at ease with this most key of public services being left in the hands of non-resident part-timers. As to who is the most senior locally resident NHS official, god only knows; I don't. After the unmitigated disaster of Charters - appointed of course by Quayle - a body-blow from which I remain unsure whether local health services have yet to fully recover, the whole edifice seems to be afflicted by short-termism and uncontrolled, unstructured change. Ashford has received plaudits and a gong in Covid-world but doesn't appear to have a grip on the strategic or structural issues. Having said that, the great leap forward seems to be entirely in the ownership of the black-hole-swallowing-all-matter that is the Cabinet Office, so Ashford may have been told to butt out of this issue.

The NHS seems to have been in turmoil for years and there's no sign whatever of that situation being rectified. It is, I'd say, symptomatic of Quayle's poor quality laissez-faire administration.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The situation was described to me by someone who should know as "there is a very nasty cabal of people who are totally resistant to change in positions of power, any change is therefore difficult to impossible "

If this is true I hope the situation is changed by the new guy but I won't hold my breath.

5 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The NHS is a huge beast and difficult to run and perfect.  It's a monster really.

Ashford actually does seem to have an understanding.  

What strategic and structural issues specifically doesn't he have a grip of?

Well for a start he doesn’t seem to be pushing for a Manx resident, full time CEO in his own department. A little light on strategic nous wouldn’t you say?

• Like 1

The brought over ones are easier to control, they are beholden to their master sort of thing. That's the theory, always has been. Not sure about the chap Charters though. He may have been not too briliant but he wasn't going to be Howie's bitch. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Barlow said:

The brought over ones are easier to control, they are beholden to their master sort of thing. That's the theory, always has been. Not sure about the chap Charters though. He may have been not too briliant but he wasn't going to be Howie's bitch. 

Charters seems to have been utterly out of control from the moment the Harley’s wheels kissed the link-span.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 4:49 AM, Apple said:

Now that reads impressive, a no nonsense person who will probably not be shy when it comes to airing his views. It appears that Mr Ashford has made the right choice.  

He's not met the Manx civil service yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

He's not met the Manx civil service yet.

There isn't a Manx civil service. It's an Isle of Man civil service.

Edited by Uhtred

23 hours ago, Barlow said:

Who are you kidding ?

• Confused 1