Manx Care

Apple

54 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Does anyone know what that blather means?

"Help!  Help!!  I want my Mummy!!!".

Of course a relevant question here is that he has been in charge for all that period, why didn't he act to have the case settled?  Hiding behind 'staffing matter' isn't really acceptable, sometimes Ministers have to intervene when the organisation itself is the problem.  There's no one else to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This DHSC/Manx Care illustration - thank you Apple - is salutary. If the electorate doesn’t (finally) get its act together on 23/9 and empty the dross - replacing it with people who have a brain they actually use (let us hope at least some candidates satisfy that definition) we are truly screwed. The abject incompetence and lack of talent displayed over the last five years, starting with you Quayle, cannot continue. If it does, we’re on the skids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

This DHSC/Manx Care illustration - thank you Apple - is salutary. If the electorate doesn’t (finally) get its act together on 23/9 and empty the dross - replacing it with people who have a brain they actually use (let us hope at least some candidates satisfy that definition) we are truly screwed. The abject incompetence and lack of talent displayed over the last five years, starting with you Quayle, cannot continue. If it does, we’re on the skids.

Do you not have a positive bone in your body?

Cassandra has been in touch to say she has been beaten by a better woman.

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Do you not have a positive bone in your body?

Cassandra has been in touch to say she has been beaten by a better woman.

It is attitudes such as this that apply a school nativity play level of scrutiny which allows the incompetents to get in. 

You say you have lived here for many decades.  I suggest you broaden your horizons to be able to recognise the incompetence we are living with.  I love this place and wouldn't be anywhere else, but I can see the appalling standard of our current mob of politicians.  Just one fiasco after another.  It was less critical when there was plenty of money sloshing around, but we no longer have that luxury.

Rather than being the voice of reason, you are the voice of complacency. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if consultants are ripping the NHS off, someone I know has been back and forth to the hospital having consultations that consist of "pointless questions" - the facts are right there, can be seen and the effects of the condition don't need years of medical training to work out. This seems to happen quite often, my son was back and forth to the hearing clinic and nothing ever happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

I wonder if consultants are ripping the NHS off, someone I know has been back and forth to the hospital having consultations that consist of "pointless questions" - the facts are right there, can be seen and the effects of the condition don't need years of medical training to work out. This seems to happen quite often, my son was back and forth to the hearing clinic and nothing ever happened.

There is no doubt at all that the medical consultants have been ripping us off for years.  You can't necessarily blame individual doctors, as most of them reap the benefits of super-sweet deals fixed up by their BMA union reps over the years.  You end up with a system where the cost:productivity ratio is skewed totally in the wrong direction.

There are factors to consider like the difficulty of recruiting to a professional backwater (which often means that we get duffers), but the income received by some consultants is eye-watering in comparison to across.

Your example though highlights efficiency and effectiveness issues.  Are the 'professional' people that we employ any good at what they are supposed to be doing?  Secondly, is the system designed to give the best possible service to the 'consumer' or, even, those working in it?  Sadly, the answer to both questions is probably no.

As with the many discussions that MF members have had about our politicians, we have this long tradition of accepting mediocrity at best and shit-awful at worst as acceptable in the Isle of Man.

Complain, make your opinion about piss-poor service known.  If enough of us do that, the oil tanker will change course!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

I don't see how this would mean 'ripping the NHS off' - we don't get paid per clinic visit, and as everyone knows we're not short of people that want to be seen.  And as far as I'm aware there is no private practice going on so we're not artificially bumping up waiting lists to generate NHS to Private transfers.

I'm what's known as an 'aggressive discharger' - I only review patients where there's a good chance the review will add something to their management.  I get a few complaints from patients who want to be seen again, even though in my opinion it's not necessary.  Sometimes I feel we can't win.

• Thanks 1

OMG I totally didn't mean you! I meant ones that are brought in... oh that might mean you - oops, sorry. If it eases the pain, I'm not talking about your area :)

There is a problem though. The 'SIK' has seen 2 different people about a very obvious problem and the resolutions are totally simple & could be started without further delay, but no, sent back to see someone else (again) and told we'll see you again in 6 months blah blah blah & then maybe progress with some treatment.  

I like your aggressive discharger tag :) I was the worst ever maternity patient, I made one appointment and then had a baby.

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

OMG I totally didn't mean you! I meant ones that are brought in... oh that might mean you - oops, sorry. If it eases the pain, I'm not talking about your area :)

There is a problem though. The 'SIK' has seen 2 different people about a very obvious problem and the resolutions are totally simple & could be started without further delay, but no, sent back to see someone else (again) and told we'll see you again in 6 months blah blah blah & then maybe progress with some treatment.  

I like your aggressive discharger tag :) I was the worst ever maternity patient, I made one appointment and then had a baby.

It's much cheaper to fob you off until you snuff it or go private (across) than actually treat you!

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

I have identified issues with patients that go across for treatment, but I don't think it's due generally to consultants ripping off our NHS.  It's more like that in the middle of a busy clinic in Liverpool they don't necessarily check a patient's postcode before determining onwards referral or need for follow up.  For example, say I send someone across for a complex op that we can't handle.  It gets done, patient goes back for follow up, and then mentions another, more simple problem that we could easily sort out here.  Instead of referring back, which is what should happen, the team across will often follow their usual referral pathways and send to their colleagues, resulting in more off-island travel and procedures and cost.

This is being looked at, actively, by Manx Care to try and repatriate patients who don't need to go across.

I don't know what 'SIK' is, but if it's a very obvious problem that you seem to understand and know how to sort, why has he/she had to be seen more than once?

Someone I know 😉

The “more than once” question is exactly what I’m going on about. They were seen by doctor A last year, he recommended x,y,z then come back and treatment will happen, x,y & z have been done.  Doctor A has gone so they saw doctor B who asked the most obvious questions (if you have eyes you will see the problem & as it is your field its expected that you know the effect) and then said “Go away do l,m,n then come back”. Which is why I’m questioning the processes.

There are many things that could be done to help ease congestion and multiple appointments for single issues and I’m glad they are being actively looked at :)

59 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Someone I know 😉

The “more than once” question is exactly what I’m going on about. They were seen by doctor A last year, he recommended x,y,z then come back and treatment will happen, x,y & z have been done.  Doctor A has gone so they saw doctor B who asked the most obvious questions (if you have eyes you will see the problem & as it is your field its expected that you know the effect) and then said “Go away do l,m,n then come back”. Which is why I’m questioning the processes.

There are many things that could be done to help ease congestion and multiple appointments for single issues and I’m glad they are being actively looked at :)

Feel free to PM me with details of SIK, A, xyz, B etc and I’ll see if I can help. 

• Like 1