Manx Care

Apple

Can anyone explain to me what a Nurse Practitioner is?

Snaefell Surgery has recruited 2 and these are the replacements for the GPs who have retired. 

It’s headline news on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today. Sounds like healthcare on the cheap. I want to be seen and diagnosed by a qualified GP not a half arsed part trained bit nurse. I’m not criticising nurses in Surgeries and unfortunately here unlike larger GPS in the UK, here they are not given the opportunity to practice and offer a wide range of services. 

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Snaefell Surgery has recruited 2 and these are the replacements for the GPs who have retired. 

It’s headline news on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today. Sounds like healthcare on the cheap. I want to be seen and diagnosed by a qualified GP not a half arsed part trained bit nurse. I’m not criticising nurses in Surgeries and unfortunately here unlike larger GPS in the UK, here they are not given the opportunity to practice and offer a wide range of services. 

A Nurse Practitioner is a more qualified nurse and is able to prescribe things without referring to a doctor. The idea is for them to see cases that need a face to face but aren't serious enough to see a doctor. Providing the booking clerk is good at triage its a good solution ... we have one at Ramsey and he's very well thought of.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Sounds like you've pre judged the answer

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

A Nurse Practitioner is a more qualified nurse and is able to prescribe things without referring to a doctor. The idea is for them to see cases that need a face to face but aren't serious enough to see a doctor. Providing the booking clerk is good at triage its a good solution ... we have one at Ramsey and he's very well thought of.

Black-coded drugs still require a GP's signature, I believe. All those who I've been seen by are professional and efficient. There'll be times when they will pick up something a GP may've missed or not followed-up. 

2 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

I would rather be triaged by a medically qualified practitioner than an officious Rottweiler of a receptionist.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

There's two problems here.  The first is balance - this isn't a practice with eight doctors and a single nurse-practitioner who is able to help then in certain circumstance.  This is practice which has just lost two of its three doctors and they are being replaced by two additional nurse (there is already one).  Rather than 8 + 1 it's ! +3.  Most of the time in Ramsey you will be able to see a doctor,  at the Snaefell practice there won't be much choice - you probably won't.

And that leads to the second problem here, which is about honesty.  Manx Care are calling these staff "partners" though I bet they're not Practice Partners in the sense we expect when we hear the term.  They're pretending they're the same as GPs when they're actually doing a rather different job - that this is a proper solution to the problems at the practice rather than a stopgap measure.  It's misleading and it's unfair on the staff who are being promised as something they're not.  As so often with Manx government PR is being mistaken for reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why don’t you just say Manx Radio.?

There will be some who wonder what the hell you are talking about.

It won’t diminish any argument you may have.

Not big or clever

I think most people will know what is meant, even if they don't agree with the wording.

Why don't you just ignore it rather than make a fuss about it every time?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think most people will know what is meant, even if they don't agree with the wording.

Why don't you just ignore it rather than make a fuss about it every time?

2112 drops the bait. TVoR swims up, bites, and reels himself in every time.  

It was amusing the first few hundred times.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's two problems here.  The first is balance - this isn't a practice with eight doctors and a single nurse-practitioner who is able to help then in certain circumstance.  This is practice which has just lost two of its three doctors and they are being replaced by two additional nurse (there is already one).  Rather than 8 + 1 it's ! +3.  Most of the time in Ramsey you will be able to see a doctor,  at the Snaefell practice there won't be much choice - you probably won't.

And that leads to the second problem here, which is about honesty.  Manx Care are calling these staff "partners" though I bet they're not Practice Partners in the sense we expect when we hear the term.  They're pretending they're the same as GPs when they're actually doing a rather different job - that this is a proper solution to the problems at the practice rather than a stopgap measure.  It's misleading and it's unfair on the staff who are being promised as something they're not.  As so often with Manx government PR is being mistaken for reality.

I noticed this on the manx radio reporting. The thing that made me notice it was the sheer amount of times manx radio said partners. Obviously deliberate. It reminded me of ashie using the person who he is speaking to's name 3 or 4 times more than is needed every interview. Learned, not natural.