Manx Care

Apple

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Maybe we've run out of local Harley riders and had to look further afield?

I’m not sure that an obese man in a leather waistcoat represents a good image of ‘health’. It didn’t last time.

Oh dear - I hear that Mrs Ashford is not a happy man regarding the quality / amount (completeness) off the infomation sent to him for Tynwald questions and has let his Executive Leadership team know of his concerns in no uncertain terms.

Everyone apparently now on notice they must take Tynwald answers seriously and more thought and consideration has to be given and this must not happen again.

People resigning and long terms sick leave a problem? Surely not. Hopefully nothing to do with the long March the other night. 

28 minutes ago, Apple said:

Oh dear - I hear that Mrs Ashford is not a happy man regarding the quality / amount (completeness) off the infomation sent to him for Tynwald questions and has let his Executive Leadership team know of his concerns in no uncertain terms.

Everyone apparently now on notice they must take Tynwald answers seriously and more thought and consideration has to be given and this must not happen again.

People resigning and long terms sick leave a problem? Surely not. Hopefully nothing to do with the long March the other night. 

I hope you calling him “Mrs”, was just a typo .

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

From memory @Apple has a very creative autocorrect.  And no I don't know what "the long March the other night" means either (or was before it was typed in).

Of course the real question here is that if Ashford is unhappy about the quality of the info he's given to spout in Tynwald, why isn't he also complaining about the quality of the stuff they're giving him every other day of the month?

46 minutes ago, Apple said:

He's actually right.  It's an ongoing issue i believe and HQ has exactly the same problem.  Dealing with civil servants who want to do the minimum 🙄 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

It was indeed a typo. Apologies.

5 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Dealing with civil servants who want to do the minimum 🙄 

I'm not sure. Or is it now about the volume of work these questions generate, or the race to try get everything in order before the new CEO comes over? Sounds to me like the tree is being shaken, hard.

Edited by Apple
typo.

• 2 weeks later...

The third reading of the Manx Care Bill set for next week. 

Only last Tuesday, at the second reading, the clauses for amendment included one from Claire Barber MHK to the effect that ...Any apology from the Department or offer of treatment or redress ......shall not in itself amount to an admission of negligence or breach of statutory duty..... Most of the clauses were in her name.

Latest on the grape vine is that steps are now being put in place that so no future administration can, even if they wanted, unpick Manx Care to revert back to an organisation capable of delivering what we currently enjoy. Some may say, "thank goodness" - I say we needed developments, well funded and with excellently trained staff. Will Manx Care deliver that? 

Sadly, I don't think so. Down to Howard Quayle who on paper seems to have lead this and may get him his knighthood. And, as DA keeps reminding everyone, they all voted it in last year so they must all be certain it fulfils their election promises to support our Health services. Given the lustre of challenge and debate for this dramatic change I don't think so.

37 minutes ago, Apple said:

The third reading of the Manx Care Bill set for next week. 

Only last Tuesday, at the second reading, the clauses for amendment included one from Claire Barber MHK to the effect that ...Any apology from the Department or offer of treatment or redress ......shall not in itself amount to an admission of negligence or breach of statutory duty..... Most of the clauses were in her name.

Latest on the grape vine is that steps are now being put in place that so no future administration can, even if they wanted, unpick Manx Care to revert back to an organisation capable of delivering what we currently enjoy. Some may say, "thank goodness" - I say we needed developments, well funded and with excellently trained staff. Will Manx Care deliver that? 

Sadly, I don't think so. Down to Howard Quayle who on paper seems to have lead this and may get him his knighthood. And, as DA keeps reminding everyone, they all voted it in last year so they must all be certain it fulfils their election promises to support our Health services. Given the lustre of challenge and debate for this dramatic change I don't think so.

Well, that's scary!

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. 

NEWS RELEASE    #

12 November 2020 

Non-executive directors appointed to Manx Care Board 

Five further appointments have been made to the board of Manx Care – the new body which will be responsible for the delivery of health and social care services in the Isle of Man from April 2021.

Individuals with a wide range of experience across public life, the private sector, healthcare and academia have been appointed to serve as non-executive directors.

Their appointments follow those of Andrew Foster CBE as Board Chair and Teresa Cope as Chief Executive Officer earlier in the autumn.

The opportunity to serve on Manx Care’s first Board of Directors attracted a field of almost 100 applicants from on and off Island, and two Manx residents are among the successful candidates.
Andy Guy is a consultant and project manager in the insurance industry and has lectured undergraduates in business management. Island-based, he is a member of the Heath Services Consultative Committee which offers the DHSC external feedback on its services. Andy serves on the Integrated Care Partnership Board, focused on embedding joined-up care in the community.

Vanessa Walker is a nurse by background, and has worked at senior level in the Isle of Man civil service and the Local Government Association in the UK. She has served as a non-executive director at two English NHS trusts, is currently a local councillor in east Yorkshire and has chaired her local branch of the mental health charity MIND. Vanessa has a home in the Isle of Man.

Nigel Wood is a chartered accountant and former group managing director and chief executive. His leadership experience spans company financial reviews, business analysis, strategy planning and high level negotiation. Born, educated and resident in the Isle of Man, he has chaired the Board of Governors of King William’s College and the Buchan School for eight years.

Kate Kapernaros has had an international career in IT, most recently working for IBM as Director of Global Technology Services. She holds a number of non-executive directorships in public sector organisations, including Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and the UK Pensions Regulator, contributing expertise in data analysis, metrics and IT service delivery.

Sarah Pinch is a communications professional with experience in the public, private and third sectors. She played a key role in the successful turnaround of Bristol University NHS Trust, steering an extensive staff engagement and training programme. She is non-executive director at the Health and Safety Executive, is married to a Manxman and visits the Island frequently.

Chair designate of Manx Care Andrew Foster said: ‘I am delighted to welcome such an excellent team with so many skills and talents. We saw an impressive field of applicants and it was very hard to select just five but I think we have chosen a very strong board indeed. Almost all of those appointed either live on or have very strong connections with the Isle of Man. The task now is to get the board ready for Manx Care to go live at the beginning of April 2021.’  

The Board of Directors will provide professional governance, direction and leadership for Manx Care, a new model of service delivery in the Isle of Man. Its creation was among the key recommendations of Sir Jonathan Michael’s independent review of health and care in the Island, and marks an historic split with the Department of Health and Social Care.

Manx Care is designed as an operational body focused on the delivery of high quality, evidence based and sustainable health and care services to the population. The organisation will operate at arms-length from the Department of Health and Social Care, which will continue to set policy and strategy. Both organisations will be publicly funded and accountable to Tynwald and the public.

The non-executive directors, their Chair and CEO will attend an induction and orientation event in the coming weeks, either in person or virtually. The team will be introduced to senior staff and colleagues from the department and Cabinet Office, Sir Jonathan Michael and a number of stakeholders, giving members an opportunity to start building productive working relationships and to discuss plans for the Board’s first steps.

ENDS

Notes for editors:

The non-executive directors are to appointed initially on fixed-term contracts until Manx Care is established as a Statutory Board next year. Once it is established as a Statutory Board, the non-executive Chair and members of Manx Care will be appointed subject to the approval of Tynwald.