Manx Care

Apple

25 minutes ago, Apple said:

I do not think there is any chance of that. It went through unanimously in Tynwald (as DA repeatedly points out) and no -one, believe me no one,  will dare challenge it or they will be made to all look like useless saps.

Especially for approving the £20 million allocated to roll it out.

Still, it has kept many, many managers and others busy for the last 5 years in the planning, the meetings, the development of an alternative provider and not to mention the legal teams preparing for it. Also, don't forget the £8000,000 ? was it for Sir Michael, his team and his report.

Shame it will be out of date in the next couple of years, and once again our NHS will be mismatched to the UK NHS.  Still, we can spend as much again to realign ourselves in the future.

What makes me curious is why the Lib Vannin party supported it, especially Hooper. 

We are currently in the good money after bad money stage and too many people are too heavily invested in this, not unlike the Springfield Monorail project. Lyle Linley I heard has pocketed over a Million already and is still 'consulting' and sending a lot of business towards his mates and business partners across and they will be welcoming these jobs as the UK Government's wised up and is going to cut the management consultancy gravy train shortly with the proposed reforms

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Apple said:

These are the numbers for the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50290033

Compare to Isle of Man. 

Compare?

We probably compare relatively well.  Unfortunately delivering an NHS costs enormous amounts of funding.

The burden ever grows.   We expect free care. We expect it quickly.

The island probably isn't in the mess the UK is but gradually more and more people will need to move to private treatment where they can afford it.

Not sure what the answer is.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

What makes me curious is why the Lib Vannin party supported it, especially Hooper. 

Well some in it have this neoliberal tendency to believe the more privatised something is the better it becomes, despite the experience of the last 40 years telling us that this sort of thing isn't exactly automatic.  But the main reason why they all voted for it is the Politician's Syllogism:

Something must be done

This is something 

Therefore we must do it.

They actually hope to do all sort of contradictory things or at least blame other people for it if things go wrong.  In reality they're just giving up the power they're not prepared to use, but still getting stuck with the responsibility.

• Like 2

Whilst I can understand the scepticism, and I’m appalled by the additional cost, and accept the Politician’s Syllogism exists, I’m a bit more optimistic.

First, what we have isn’t working properly or adequately in some areas.

Second, Manx Care isn’t a replica of the internal market, private tendering, GP budget holding and commissioning.

Third, what, apparently, is to be the next UK step seems to be a retreat or a move towards Manx Care.

If it’s publicly funded then it’s logical that Tynwald and politicians will set policy and parameters and funding. Within those limits it seems sensible to remove them from delivery. The real question is who measures delivery and what to do if it falls short.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Whilst I can understand the scepticism, and I’m appalled by the additional cost, and accept the Politician’s Syllogism exists, I’m a bit more optimistic.

Second, Manx Care isn’t a replica of the internal market, private tendering, GP budget holding and commissioning.

Third, what, apparently, is to be the next UK step seems to be a retreat or a move towards Manx Care.

If it’s publicly funded then it’s logical that Tynwald and politicians will set policy and parameters and funding. Within those limits it seems sensible to remove them from delivery. The real question is who measures delivery and what to do if it falls short.

Your last line will be the crux , it will need a reversal of attitudes towards administrative failure for accountability to be allowed to appear ! Many of our ills here are a result of simply shrugging shoulders and moving on, without recourse for those paid to ensure the failures don't happen ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

The real question is who measures delivery and what to do if it falls short.

One of the key measurements of the quality of the services standards, one of there tools being the complaints process. Having seen several complaints over the past 6 months, and a lot more in the past, and the responses from the hospital following an investigation, even to the CEO level, it is apparent to me to say we are definitely falling short in areas.

We even have now private investigations, HACA investigations that are never referred to or, God forbid, published even in anonymous format. I think some people would be very embarrassed by some of the things that seem to have gone on. Some incidents within the hospital that have an impact on the delivery of care are do not see the light of day in terms of patients records, and that system these days just can not be right.

Duty of candour exists, no need to wait for legislation, it is the sign of a mature and accountable health service. 

Truly independent complaint investigating and reporting of incidents and complaints needs to happen, and immediately. HQ and DA gave both promised an open transparent service.

And No, the rant will never be over until we have an open and honest service that places such poor emphasis on patients and families experiences.  Hospital treatment / care should never be a gamble.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Can you give us some specific examples?  

Not without patient and / or families consent. 

However, HACA (and No I do have a grudge) have been listed on the Hospital's own website as complaint 'handlers' but I don't remember seeing any report of theirs or indeed feedback regarding the issues they try and help people to deal with.

To me Nobles has a divide and conquer approach. In my view all complainants should be part of a collective information sharing process so that repeated issues, and there are several, can be challenged as to why they are not being eradicated out of the system.

A separate cost centre for complaint handling would be interesting, but will never happen. It should. Ask MHKs how many hospital or related complaints they deal with in a year and how much time is spent pursuing answers to questions. If we are to have confidence in the system then trust and openness are part of that bedrock.

For the record - It has to be said though that there are some individuals who have worked very hard over the years to develop patient services, and charitable causes, including those on this site.

15 hours ago, John Wright said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I sort of did, until I had a glimpse into the workings of the transformation team. I wish I could say more