Manncoin

Major Rushen

I have a Revolut account with Sterling, Euros and Dollars in it. I had a little dabble in Bitcoin a few days ago, based on this thread. I simply spent Sterling in Revolut to buy Bitcoin in Revolut. Not a big amount, nothing that would upset me if it tanked. I’m up around 20% in a few days and can swap that back to spendable Sterling at the touch of a button. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Or something you can trade against in GBP without ever actually handling or spending an actually euro.

You can just run a euro account and buy and sell as you see fit.  Same as bitcoin  

I will just concede that you are streets ahead of me. I am of an age when it is hard to change what is engrained in us from birth. Thanks for trying to help though. Cheers

2 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I have a Revolut account with Sterling, Euros and Dollars in it. I had a little dabble in Bitcoin a few days ago, based on this thread. I simply spent Sterling in Revolut to buy Bitcoin in Revolut. Not a big amount, nothing that would upset me if it tanked. I’m up around 20% in a few days and can swap that back to spendable Sterling at the touch of a button. 

Caveat: you're not actually dealing in bitcoins you own there, you're just buying tokens pegged to the value of BTC, but at whatever rate Revolut deems fair.

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Caveat: you're not actually dealing in bitcoins you own there, you're just buying tokens pegged to the value of BTC, but at whatever rate Revolut deems fair.

I'm not so sure. He may be, but Revolut has actual BTC balance options.

Edited by jaymann

1 minute ago, jaymann said:

I'm not so sure. He may be, but Revolut has actual BTC balance options.

You can hold a BTC balance, but it's not a BTC wallet, you don't own the physical coins. You can only exchange them with Revolut back to fiat currency.

That was the big bug bear when they first introduced it. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong however.

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You can hold a BTC balance, but it's not a BTC wallet, you don't own the physical coins. You can only exchange them with Revolut back to fiat currency.

That was the big bug bear when they first introduced it. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong however.

Ah, I'm more aware so I can't say I've ever used this feature within Revolut. Nor exactly sure why I pay for Metal to be honest. But it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't actually providing ownership of the crypto. I recall Revoluts liquidity looking very concerning overall when BTC tanked 18months ago, to the point they had to put a hold on crypto all together.

I recommend any beginner look at Uphold. None of the complex charts and complications of an exchange, but ability to hold multiple balances in FIAT along with actual ownership and wallet for the crypto.

Edited by jaymann

5 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I realise that. I don’t actually trust a lot of money to Revolut and prefer Starling as I seem to have my own bank accounts with them, rather than a share of a pooled fund. 

TBH I couldn’t be bothered with setting up my own wallet for a little dabble. Heard too many stories of people losing access to them when they’ve forgotten passwords etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I realise that. I don’t actually trust a lot of money to Revolut and prefer Starling as I seem to have my own bank accounts with them, rather than a share of a pooled fund. 

TBH I couldn’t be bothered with setting up my own wallet for a little dabble. Heard too many stories of people losing access to them when they’ve forgotten passwords etc. 

Assume that you used a UK address for starling..They do not allow iom residents to set up accounts ..

On 1/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, dilligaf said:

A physical coin or note that you can buy a pint with.

Majority of the Euro ( or pounds or dollars for that matter ) do not exist as paper notes or coins. They are all created on computers  and transferred electronically.

They make bitcoin and other crypto look tame when you think about it .:wacko:

18 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Not really a password. It's a passphrase . A collection of 12( usually )  random words that you can securely store somewhere and acces your wallet / funds with 

Basically these words generate  the private key when entered into a wallet ..so the collection of words have to be kept securely.  If someone gets your passphrase/ private keys they can steal your crypto.

Its great being  able to  control of your funds just with that . No banks/ financial institutions can touch it and there is no limit to the amount of funds you can hold on one wallet .