Ramsey Boundary Extension?

Non-Believer

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

.......but RTC will regard that as looking after 'their' ratepayers interests? If you're a Ramsey rate payer, you will likely say 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'?

it doesn't matter how far ramsey spreads, the rates will never go down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Property value will be irrelevant in a couple of years time when the rates changes from a tax-by-value to a tax-by-floor-area system.

Maybe there will be some surprises there, with people in old-fashioned 3-storey terraced Victorian houses getting a big increase. The gov. document even lists "outbuildings" as a property classification so maybe they intend to tax garden sheds too.

One thing we can all be pretty sure of is they'll be going up. One would doubt that there'll be reductions.

20 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No it won’t. It will mean everyone paying fairer rates. 

It might depend on what the definition of fairer is though, Sultan? If they all go up to Corpy or Ramsey levels, is that fairer on everybody? Personally, I think they'll certainly all go up but I'd like to see what will be offered in services across the board in return particularly for those in rural areas, and not just those in the much-maligned under-paying country piles incidentally.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It might depend on what the definition of fairer is though, Sultan? If they all go up to Corpy or Ramsey levels, is that fairer on everybody? Personally, I think they'll certainly all go up but I'd like to see what will be offered in services across the board in return particularly for those in rural areas, and not just those in the much-maligned under-paying country piles incidentally.

Give or take we all use the same services. Most people work in Douglas during the day too. I suppose it’s like tax avoidance. Some people are happy to move to a right shithole like Foxdale to avoid paying a few grand a year in charges but really nobody in their right mind would live in Foxdale if the rates were the same as Douglas, Ramsey, or the South for receiving the same services (bins and grass cutting). 

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Give or take we all use the same services. Most people work in Douglas during the day too.

Douglas businesses pay rates. Douglas already benefits from people travelling to Douglas every day to work.

And Douglas repeatedly seems to stand in the way of moving business (retail especially) out of Douglas.

People working in Douglas aren't even especially using the services paid for from the rates.

Edited by pongo

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Douglas businesses pay rates. Douglas already benefits from people travelling to Douglas every day to work.

And Douglas repeatedly seems to stand in the way of moving business (retail especially) out of Douglas.

People working in Douglas aren't even especially using the services paid for from the rates.

I’m the last person to defend the useless Douglas Corporation, but even so an all Island rate is a fair way of balancing the load. We all pretty much use the same services. It all boils down to how much do you think is reasonable for someone to empty your bin and cut some grass. 

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m the last person to defend the useless Douglas Corporation, but even so an all Island rate is a fair way of balancing the load. We all pretty much use the same services. It all boils down to how much do you think is reasonable for someone to empty your bin and cut some grass. 

Travelling to work at our rate paying businesses in Douglas we are already contributing to Douglas rates.

Plus a huge amount for parking.

Edited by pongo

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Travelling to work at our rate paying businesses in Douglas we are already contributing to Douglas rates.

Plus a huge amount for parking.

I bet you pay nothing for parking on your HEO+ grade Pingu.

Parking goes direct to the DOI now too. Not DTC. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1

If you're a sticks dweller (modest property for instance) and get your bin emptied once a fortnight since forever and very little else really for your £1 in the pound and you're happy with that; and your LA hasn't a history of driving itself into bankruptcy with staffing and housing and then your rates suddenly double on the new assessment - are you going to be happy with that though?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you're a sticks dweller (modest property for instance) and get your bin emptied once a fortnight since forever and very little else really for your £1 in the pound and you're happy with that; and your LA hasn't a history of driving itself into bankruptcy with staffing and housing and then your rates suddenly double on the new assessment - are you going to be happy with that though?

No I agree it’s the payroll that’s the problem in order to get minimal services in the first place. But that load should be shared. 

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I bet you pay nothing for parking on your HEO+ grade Pingu.

Parking goes direct to the DOI now too. Not DTC. 

Not much change out of £2k per year on parking and not even guaranteed a space somewhere which won't flood.

You can keep your govt abbreviations. I can't be bothered to look them up.