Ramsey Boundary Extension?

Non-Believer

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Neither, John. Though it was interesting to hear to contributors to the piece on MR saying that RTC can't look after their present responsibilities, let alone take on more.

Screenshot_20231003-181145_Samsung Internet.jpg

They sent their advocate. You don’t own a dog, and pay him a fortune, and bark yourself. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

They sent their advocate. You don’t own a dog, and pay him a fortune, and bark yourself.

Sounds good. So if I end up in court charged with swinging a punch at a lawyer, there is no need for me to bother turning up in court because I've got an expensive KC. I assume you were not entirely serious. Unless they were instructed by their advocate to stay away, perhaps they could have shown a bit of interest in the subject by being there.

"Ramsey Commissioners believe the town needs to grow to encourage development "

These kinds of statements are a problem for me. If these people were asked, "By how much does the town need to grow - give me a number". The response would be "First of all, let me say this..." followed by 20 minutes of nonsense and no answer.

Once the town has "grown", will it need to grow again?

A system that requires expansion to survive will fail because it is a pyramid scheme.

The island is of a size such that it can support a health service, an education service and an airport (and, at the moment, a spendthrift government). It can support a larger population but when do you want to stop?

Malta is 27 miles long, 9 miles wide, and has a population of 500,000. Do you want that?

Who is to gain from this expansion?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Sounds good. So if I end up in court charged with swinging a punch at a lawyer, there is no need for me to bother turning up in court because I've got an expensive KC. I assume you were not entirely serious. Unless they were instructed by their advocate to stay away, perhaps they could have shown a bit of interest in the subject by being there.

In civil proceedings, which these are, you can appear via your advocate, or in person. They were present, through their advocate.

Criminal proceedings you’d be on bail and have to turn up.

Its a preliminary hearing to set out procedure and look at possible legal issues, such as whether the draft plan can be used or referred to.

If i were representing them my suggestion would be - attendance isn’t necessary, you can decide, but your presence or absence will make no difference to what happens on the day. BUT remember there will always be Manx Crabs who will criticise, whatever you do. Please think carefully.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

These kinds of statements are a problem for me. If these people were asked, "By how much does the town need to grow - give me a number". The response would be "First of all, let me say this..." followed by 20 minutes of nonsense and no answer.

A system that requires expansion to survive will fail because it is a pyramid scheme.

The island is of a size such that it can support a health service, an education service and an airport (and, at the moment, a spendthrift government). It can support a larger population but when do you want to stop?

Malta is 27 miles long, 9 miles wide, and has a population of 500,000. Do you want that?

The first thing to grow will be the number of admin staff and town clerks!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

But that’s not the point in reality. 

The justification for a local authority boundary extension is that over time businesses and people, who use the facilities and services provided by the authority for its ratepayers, start to operate just outside the existing boundary, but still come into the authority and use its facilities and services, but don’t pay for them. It’s fairer to extend the boundary and spread the load.

It’s the very opposite of a ponzu scheme.

Who will gain, the ratepayers in the existing authority area, then the ratepayers in the newly expanded authority, which, hopefully, should be able to maintain and improve facilities and services.

42 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

That sounds amazing, but is probably the minority view.  Especially amongst the old school manxies who don’t like change or comeovers.

I had a very upsetting conversation with someone this morning where he viewed his views on immigrants.  I won’t go into it but can’t believe people with views like that still walk amongst us in 2023.

PS.  It transpired thorough conversation he moved here about 15 years ago ffs.

Edited by CrazyDave

13 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What time of day was this meeting?  Why would any of the commissioners need to attend?

It sounds like the press trying to make a drama out of nothing

The proposals, if successful will have a major (adverse) impact on the Rates charges for those impacted in the areas concerned. They know this full well and so do RTC.

One might have thought that RTC would be doing all they could in respect of empathy/charm offensive and that would include having elected representatives at least showing their faces at ongoing proceedings. Not to do so simply reinforces the appearance that this move is being pushed by a remote, detached and aloof body.

The areas concerned managed to supply elected representatives, as per the report. One - nil to Garff etc for a start.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

The proposals, if successful will have a major (adverse) impact on the Rates charges for those impacted in the areas concerned. They know this full well and so do RTC.

One might have thought that RTC would be doing all they could in respect of empathy/charm offensive and that would include having elected representatives at least showing their faces at ongoing proceedings. Not to do so simply reinforces the appearance that this move is being pushed by a remote, detached and aloof body.

The areas concerned managed to supply elected representatives, as per the report. One - nil to Garff etc for a start.

They had people there.

When was the meeting?

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But that’s not the point in reality. 

The justification for a local authority boundary extension is that over time businesses and people, who use the facilities and services provided by the authority for its ratepayers, start to operate just outside the existing boundary, but still come into the authority and use its facilities and services, but don’t pay for them. It’s fairer to extend the boundary and spread the load.

It’s the very opposite of a ponzu scheme.

Who will gain, the ratepayers in the existing authority area, then the ratepayers in the newly expanded authority, which, hopefully, should be able to maintain and improve facilities and services.

With the utmost respect John, as a Ramsey resident with some interest in the Town's affairs I'm well aware of the squanderfest and some of the goings on in the authority as it is. I have nothing but sympathy for those in the outlying areas who are opposing this. Ramsey already pays the second-highest Rates on the Island with little to show for it other than an efficient weekly bin collection for most people. I know Commissioners who are privately expressing concern about the authority's financial management too, to include a reported £27k+ expenditure on the "Sprintfest" Festival which was less than a resounding success. 

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

I don’t feel any RT commissioners needed to attend this.  They had people there who would report back to them.

If it was in work hours then I think people need to remember these guys and girls are in full time employment (the useful ones are anyway) and perform their duties for RTC voluntarily.  To expect them to take time off work or even give up more of their spare time when there is no need is unreasonable and shows a complete lack of understanding of their roles and the process.

Edited by CrazyDave

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

They had people there.

When was the meeting?

The meeting was yesterday, 02/10.

RTC were represented by the town clerk and an advocate. The opposing areas managed to muster elected representatives, to include MHKs, which is what the electorate will be impressed with, it's why they elect people in the first instance. Appearances can count for a lot.