Consultation on TT scoreboard.

Holte End

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

Could anybody share a link to results of the consultation of the TT scoreboard, where it can be found.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-sport/scouts-to-say-farewell-to-tt-scoreboard/

Not seen any published results but here's where it was https://consult.gov.im/economic-development/tt-course-scoreboard-replacement/

A relatively few people pay to sit in the grandstand. For that privilege, they get an obscured view of scouts running around and painters painting times that they cannot properly see and clocks turning to say that a rider has reached a certain point on the course, when he/she is probably already at the next one. To get up to date information, they will probably have to look at their phones to access live timing, without which a guy who didn't pay to sit in the grandstand or even bother to come here would have a better idea of what was happening in the race. However, getting rid of the current scoreboard and replacing it with better technology would, it is said, be sacrilege and ruin the whole thing.

I look at the scoreboard, when I occasionally pass it and think two things. First, how much of it is original and isn't it just a bit like Trigger's broom? Secondly, when the scoreboard system was first devised it was the best technology available at the time and wouldn't those that put it together laugh if they knew it was still being used now?

If heritage is important to the success of the TT, shouldn't the winner be riding a Rudge?

Edited by joebean
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, joebean said:

I occasionally pass it and think two things. First, how much of it is original and isn't it just a bit like Trigger's broom?

You are Rob Callister I claim my £5! 

66965ACA-B506-4F42-8A0F-793509D84245.jpeg

Yeah just the heritage and the appearance so .. everything that’s authentic really. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, joebean said:

A relatively few people pay to sit in the grandstand. For that privilege, they get an obscured view of scouts running around and painters painting times that they cannot properly see and clocks turning to say that a rider has reached a certain point on the course, when he/she is probably already at the next one. To get up to date information, they will probably have to look at their phones to access live timing, without which a guy who didn't pay to sit in the grandstand or even bother to come here would have a better idea of what was happening in the race. However, getting rid of the current scoreboard and replacing it with better technology would, it is said, be sacrilege and ruin the whole thing.

I look at the scoreboard, when I occasionally pass it and think two things. First, how much of it is original and isn't it just a bit like Trigger's broom? Secondly, when the scoreboard system was first devised it was the best technology available at the time and wouldn't those that put it together laugh if they knew it was still being used now?

If heritage is important to the success of the TT, shouldn't the winner be riding a Rudge?

The TT is a mixture of heritage and contemporary technology, some things are vital to the feel of the event. I have to say that when I saw Paul Shoesmith deviate down pit lane flat out after nearly colliding with another rider during practice, I thought that the scoreboard's days were numbered. If the deviation had been the other way, and during a race, we would be still mopping up Scouts for miles around. I hope that the replacement makes it safer whilst retaining the look and feel of the original, the view down Glencrutchery Road is as important to riders as it is to spectators! 

• Like 1

I had a good look on the Consultations Hub and there was absolutely no sign of any response to the consultation that closed in January - even though more recent consultations have had responses. Presumably "We Asked, You Said, We Did" became "We Asked, You Said, We Didn't Give a Monkey's" in this case.

Presumably nowadays no one actually looks at the scoreboard for information anyway, rather than using apps on their phones.  But then the main purpose of it has always been to prevent the paying spectators from having to look at the Cemetery.  Memento mori  and all that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

As Max says, the Paul Shoesmith event should have been enough to end it but no, it carried on because thats how it's always been.  It's huge event in the scouting calendar and they get a huge amount of enjoyment out of it but that's not reason enough for it to carry on.  It has to move past nostalgia and emotion.

To be fair, the safety fence erected after the Paul Shoesmith incident would have been substantial enough to prevent injury to the scouts but it rendered the scoreboards almost useless. I think the next thing needing protection would be the timekeepers box and pit lane itself?