Consultation on TT scoreboard.

Holte End

18 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

But why?

We don’t need it anymore?

Just because something has been there for a long time doesn’t mean we need to keep it.

Save the cash and invest it in online, increase the following, and so secure the future of the event beyond when all the oldies want a scoreboard are dead.

And  please tell me   how will the pit crews know at the grandstand when their rider  has gone through signpost corner so they can get ready to refuel them , when they call in at the pits  less than 30 seconds away ?   don't forget all electronic devices, phones, i pads , radios etc are banned in pit lane , and as riders pass by its impossible to hear the radio coverage from the loudspeakers at the grandstand ,  for the un initiated thats when the light comes on over their number on the scoreboard , which was an iconic piece of TT history , operated  very successfully by the Boy Scouts for over 100 years , what a pity to loose it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Eh?

If the TT relies on the same old wrinkles who come now for the next few decades it will die when they do.

Embrace technology.  Embrace new fuels and electric bikes. Embrace esports and push the event online to youngsters.

That way it might survive.  Nobody cares about a scoreboard apart from sad old people who can’t move forward.

In your opinion perhaps, but there again you may be forgiven for not understanding the TT being a mix of old and new, tradition and contemporary. You don't have to be a sad old person to appreciate this, without its traditions the TT is nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

And  please tell me   how will the pit crews know at the grandstand when their rider  has gone through signpost corner so they can get ready to refuel them , when they call in at the pits  less than 30 seconds away ?   don't forget all electronic devices, phones, i pads , radios etc are banned in pit lane , and as riders pass by its impossible to hear the radio coverage from the loudspeakers at the grandstand ,  for the un initiated thats when the light comes on over their number on the scoreboard , which was an iconic piece of TT history , operated  very successfully by the Boy Scouts for over 100 years , what a pity to loose it 

A light by the pit would surely be a much better solution than people having to look over the road.

That is one of about a hundred better solutions I came up with in ten seconds

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Max Power said:

You can only take things away from an event for so long before it is no longer meaningful. 

Is the FA cup still meaningful?

New stadium. Different balls.  Different boots. VAR.

The basic concept is the same but everything else has changed and progressed.  That applies to pretty much everything I can think of.

The boat race might be a bit of an exception but that is nowhere near as popular as it used to be.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

A light by the pit would surely be a much better solution than people having to look over the road.

That is one of about a hundred better solutions I came up with in ten seconds

the lights also come on when riders reach other  key parts of the course as well and give a very good indication of the riders progress throughout the race , it strikes me that you have never sat in the TT grandstand and watched a race from there,  otherwise you would know a little about the subject , its things like this that make the TT unique in the world of road racing ,and a lot of people believe the future of the races also lies in our historic past ,there is literally no where else like it .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the lights also come on when riders reach other  key parts of the course as well and give a very good indication of the riders progress throughout the race , it strikes me that you have never sat in the TT grandstand and watched a race from there,  otherwise you would know a little about the subject , its things like this that make the TT unique in the world of road racing ,and a lot of people believe the future of the races also lies in our historic past ,there is literally no where else like it .

I have sat in the grandstand many times.

I have worked the scoreboard many times.

I have done pit boards for various riders at loads of different location around the course for decades.

I have been part of a pit crew (granted that was only MGP)

The scoreboard served a purpose years ago.  It doesn’t now and that money would be better spent on useful as relevant tech.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

The scoreboard has been an iconic part of an iconic event for more than 100 years. Visiting fans expect to see it, as much as the horsetrams and Laxey Wheel!

I genuinely couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.  But if they want to see the 'iconic' scoreboard they can go to the new gallery at the Manx Museum when it finally opens.

Having an elaborate scoreboard for the benefit of a few hundred people sitting in the Grandstand has always struck me as ridiculous, even before the latest fantasies that the DfE come up with.  (Though the real reason is probably so they don't have to look at the Cemetery).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

But why?

We don’t need it anymore?

Just because something has been there for a long time doesn’t mean we need to keep it.

We don’t need the Laxey Wheel anymore. 

We don’t need Electric and Steam Railways anymore.

We don’t need statues of The Bee Gees anymore

We don’t need condom machines in pub toilets anymore.

We don’t need any heritage stuff anymore

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We don’t need the Laxey Wheel anymore. 

We don’t need Electric and Steam Railways anymore.

We don’t need statues of The Bee Gees anymore

We don’t need condom machines in pub toilets anymore.

We don’t need any heritage stuff anymore

We actually don't need any of those things. None of them are essential to the basic needs of our island population. 

We need an airport. 

We need a hospital 

We need schools

We need a road network

As an island we really need to learn the differences between needs and nice to haves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

The scoreboard served a purpose years ago.  It doesn’t now and that money would be better spent on useful as relevant tech.

They just need a good app for iOS and Android. Not some half arsed government shit, but a decent app that feeds in all the data. Scoreboard, individual rider stats (inc PBs etc), location mapping. All that data exists, it just needs condensing down into everyones pocket via their phone. Could have RadioTT streaming integrated so you can listen too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I genuinely couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.  But if they want to see the 'iconic' scoreboard they can go to the new gallery at the Manx Museum when it finally opens.

Having an elaborate scoreboard for the benefit of a few hundred people sitting in the Grandstand has always struck me as ridiculous, even before the latest fantasies that the DfE come up with.  (Though the real reason is probably so they don't have to look at the Cemetery).

No, not being sarcastic, it's not just for a few hundred people sitting in the stands, it's a genuine all year round part of island sightseeing. It marks the start and finish with something which harks back more than 100 years.

13 hours ago, James Blonde said:

We actually don't need any of those things. None of them are essential to the basic needs of our island population. 

We need an airport. 

We need a hospital 

We need schools

We need a road network

As an island we really need to learn the differences between needs and nice to haves.

And we don't have those things? We waste, emphasis on waste, many times more than the cost of a scoreboard on ill conceived projects in all of those areas.  

13 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

They just need a good app for iOS and Android. Not some half arsed government shit, but a decent app that feeds in all the data. Scoreboard, individual rider stats (inc PBs etc), location mapping. All that data exists, it just needs condensing down into everyones pocket via their phone. Could have RadioTT streaming integrated so you can listen too.

And that improves heritage and the sights of the grandstand area how exactly? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1