Consultation on TT scoreboard.

Holte End

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No, not being sarcastic, it's not just for a few hundred people sitting in the stands, it's a genuine all year round part of island sightseeing. It marks the start and finish with something which harks back more than 100 years.

Then you lot should have left the old one in place just stop using it. Let it be a ghost sign reflecting our motorcycling past.

Have the the TT enthusiasts, the competitors or their teams or the businesses that benefit from the event started the fundraiser for its replacement yet? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Then you lot should have left the old one in place just stop using it. Let it be a ghost sign reflecting our motorcycling past.

Have the the TT enthusiasts, the competitors or their teams or the businesses that benefit from the event started the fundraiser for its replacement yet? 

There are more ways to benefit from something than just financially, and the island has benefitted immeasurably from the event for well over a century, financially, culturally, historically, socially to name but a few. It would be a shame to ignore this just because you don't like it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'm sure that there would be a lot of donations from the public and businesses, but nobody has asked as yet? Even if it paid for half of the thing, it would be a huge bonus. I believe that many years ago, Honda offered to pay for the new grandstand in return for it being branded in their name, the government of the day turned them down. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Barely anyone glances at the scoreboard for information. It was just a bit of peripheral decorative activity in recent times. 

That's simply not true. The scoreboard gives an overview of the whole race lap by lap. There's no phone, iPad or PC that can display that.

Most folk are only interested in the leaders and that is all broadcast on Manx Radio, all other riders and their teams and supporters rely on the scoreboard. 
The new scoreboard can embrace new technology to display the mass of information available. I just hope the people involved with the design of it are capable.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

That's simply not true. The scoreboard gives an overview of the whole race lap by lap. There's no phone, iPad or PC that can display that.

Most folk are only interested in the leaders and that is all broadcast on Manx Radio, all other riders and their teams and supporters rely on the scoreboard. 
The new scoreboard can embrace new technology to display the mass of information available. I just hope the people involved with the design of it are capable.

Anyone who is old enough to give a toss is too blind to see the tiny little writing, lights and clocks anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Eh? Don't be daft... 

You've got an instant view of every rider, every lap. Try flicking instantly from page to page on the 'app'. The technology is fantastic I have to say, but you can't instantly flick from page to page to page, to previous lap time to previous lap time etc. You can't see the big picture.
Maybe the new scoreboard will make the most of technology and also what was so good about the old scoreboard - a mega big screen before big screens were heard of.

There are people (eg @Stu Peters MHK) who don't particularly like the TT because "it isn't really a race", it's a  time trial. The TT is as exciting - and some would say more so  - as much as a mass start race. It just takes a different mindset. And an ability to see the big picture.

Anyway, ok, maybe I just give up then, let's just all use mobile phones and the TT app.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barlow said:

There are people (eg @Stu Peters MHK) who don't particularly like the TT because "it isn't really a race", it's a  time trial. The TT is as exciting - and some would say more so  - as much as a mass start race. It just takes a different mindset. And an ability to see the big picture.

I think that's true, the TT is more exciting because it isn't a mass start. Because of the length of the course it's a time trial that happens all at the same time though, it makes for extremely exciting racing at times.

It does take a while to get into this fairly unique race style though, and I can see why people who are new to the races might not like it at first. If you were watching somewhere without commentary or an app or anything you wouldn't have a clue what's going on and it would seem less exciting than a conventional race. However once you know the format and have sorted the need for information during the race  and watched a few, it becomes infinitely more exciting than a conventional race and they seem dull by comparison.

• Thanks 2

Its not so much the time trial part that puts me off, its the danger. I can understand the thrill, but frankly I'm just too scared for the riders. And like F1, I think you can only really follow it on TV (and I say that having been at Silverstone the year Mansell won and was mobbed).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Its not so much the time trial part that puts me off, its the danger. I can understand the thrill, but frankly I'm just too scared for the riders. And like F1, I think you can only really follow it on TV (and I say that having been at Silverstone the year Mansell won and was mobbed).

Yeah there are some places I don't like watching from for that reason. I think you can follow it pretty well with the radio commentary though, it will be interesting to see how the live TT coverage compares.

I used to love the races , up every morning for the practices and the autographs I had, unfortunately lost my book when moving, fantastic.   What puts me off are the incidents that happen through no fault of the riders.   I remember the horse incident like yesterday Geoff Cannell was reporting at the time and the shock in his voice when he said I will pass you back to the grandstand told the tale.   Then there was the woman Marshall who ran over the road and wiped out a rider, and the latest when the riders got mixed directions and that poor rider suffered terrible injuries.   These are the frightening events for me.   And of course as you get older you see more danger in everything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've watched at least 25 years' worth of TT races from my parents' garden and I've never watched a race (as opposed to practice sessions) from any other location, let alone the grandstand. 

I find it very hard to believe that having the old scoreboard in front of me to look at would have particularly enhanced my enjoyment of the racing or the general TT spectacle.  I've certainly never considered it an indispensable part of the TT experience and a "must see".  I think the only other real advantages the grandstand must have over any other viewing spot is the chance to observe pit-stops and the opportunity to "mingle" a bit both pre- and post-race.

All anybody needs - or needed* - to follow a race, is an updated* start list, access to the Manx Radio commentary, a pen, and a watch (or the ability to count).  For the last ten years or so up to 2019 I followed the TT via Manx Radio online and whatever live timing was available via laptop.  I don't think that looking at the scoreboard would have increased my enjoyment in following those races one iota.

The first time my wife came to the TT it was her first experience of a time trial and she found it a bit confusing at first, but after a couple of races she could follow what was happening in the race as well as anyone.  She loved the whole TT experience and I don't think her enjoyment was marred at all by never seeing the scoreboard in operation.

*Although I understand that since they started moving the starting order about based on practice times, but without changing start numbers, it's now much more difficult to follow without access to live timing.

==============================================================================

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I used to love the races , up every morning for the practices and the autographs I had, unfortunately lost my book when moving, fantastic.   What puts me off are the incidents that happen through no fault of the riders.   I remember the horse incident like yesterday ...

That was the last year we visited for the TT and we too decided that the bad things about it far outweighed our enjoyment.  I think we might have been happy to return again over the last couple of years or so, but we've been put off again by the head on collision incident.  How does it happen?

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I agree. Must be an age thing. I watch from St Nins and when they come past on the flying lap the momentum scares me to death. I just think "if he came of now what carnage would there be?". I wouldn't have thought that way when I was 20

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. Must be an age thing. I watch from St Nins and when they come past on the flying lap the momentum scares me to death. I just think "if he came of now what carnage would there be?". I wouldn't have thought that way when I was 20

Ask Derek, I am sure he has seen it.

I have a couple of times and its not a pretty sight, bits of body all over the place, humans don't do well with a  high speed impact with solid walls/ telegraph poles, and if you are lucky the head has stayed on.

"Fatal head injuries" on the coroners report after the TT means their head left their body because of the impact in the majority of TT/ MGP accidents.

But anyway, its tradition so everyone should enjoy it.

Live streaming should be interesting 🙂

Edited by Boris Johnson

22 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Ask Derek, I am sure he has seen it.

I have a couple of times and its not a pretty sight, bits of body all over the place, humans don't do well with a  high speed impact with solid walls/ telegraph poles, and if you are lucky the head has stayed on.

"Fatal head injuries" on the coroners report after the TT means their head left their body because of the impact in the majority of TT/ MGP accidents.

But anyway, its tradition so everyone should enjoy it.

Live streaming should be interesting 🙂

Yes , this is the one area live streaming scares the hell out of me. Presumably they will be a small delay to footage but still a absolute  nightmare when anything happens. Doesn't take much to work out when something serious has happened anyway but with streaming its out there even quicker .