Little birds?

doc.fixit

1 hour ago, quilp said:

It may depend what goes in your feeders, or the trees and shrubs around the place. Next year in this garden, planting will be dedicated to the pollenators. 

Oh yes, My small orchard and wild garden is specifically created for just that, bees, butterflies, and lots of seed heads for the birds.

The concern I have is that most of the small bird breeds have frequented the gardens over the years in some numbers which is why it is so noticeable this year that there aren't any except for the robin. So sad.

Quilp lives in the Wildlife Park and I claim my £5.

We only get starlings in their hundreds, sparrows, occasionally blackbirds and the odd thrush. Even rarer our Robin and grey wagtail. That is as exotic as it gets here.🤕

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, doc.fixit said:

Cheers folks, as I said, thrush and blackbird, robin and starling fine but the usual throng of sparrows, dunnocks, tits, chaffinch, goldfinch, greenfinch etc , missing completely. The sparrow hawk hasn't shown up either but the buzzards are right up in the sky mewling away. Neighbours report the same.

The collared doves put in an appearance every so often but that's it, sadly.

Chaffinches, goldfinches and collared doves (and wood pigeons) all present and correct at Uhtred Towers Doc.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, doc.fixit said:

Has anyone noticed that for most of this year there seems to have been a lack of smaller birds?

Plenty of crows, rooks pigeons, thrushes and blackbirds but no sparrows, wrens, finches or other smaller birds just the cheeky robin.

The bird feeder has just stayed full most of the year even though I replace it's contents each week.

Birds are just as entitled to us to have a virus. They don't have anyone telling not to go out and wear a face mask.

Certainly at the start of lockdown things seemed to be earily quiet, like when there is an eclipse of the sun, the birds stfu for a few minmutes.

Maybe the sudden change and quietness has effected some birds breeding habits.

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Birds are just as entitled to us to have a virus. They don't have anyone telling not to go out and wear a face mask.

Certainly at the start of lockdown things seemed to be earily quiet, like when there is an eclipse of the sun, the birds stfu for a few minmutes.

Maybe the sudden change and quietness has effected some birds breeding habits.

It doesn't appear to have affected your ability to post nonsense... :flowers:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Oh yes, My small orchard and wild garden is specifically created for just that, bees, butterflies, and lots of seed heads for the birds.

The concern I have is that most of the small bird breeds have frequented the gardens over the years in some numbers which is why it is so noticeable this year that there aren't any except for the robin. So sad.

Have you got a pond? one of the best things you can do for wildlife is a wildlife pond. I am having to chase a Heron from mine every day at the moment.

Letting grass grow, even if it is just around the margin as it provide cover and breeding area for lots of creatures, a bramble thicket is great too.

There is a disease, Trichomonosis that has severely affected finch numbers over recent years, Greenfinch numbers have been particularly badly hit, I get a handful a year now. Perhaps that disease has been more prevalent in your area and reduced the numbers.

The BTO reports a drop in Chaffinch numbers of 30% since 2007 https://www.bto.org/how-you-can-help/help-fund-our-work/appeals/chaffinch-appeal?reset=1&id=65&appeal=166&channel=8&medium=156

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Sad 1