Little birds?

doc.fixit

On 10/16/2020 at 8:42 PM, Neil Down said:

we've tried all kinds of bird food. Problem is that the feckin crows keep going for it and frightening off any little bird. BB gun should dissuade them...😈

Fat balls or suet balls for the win 

Edited by Scotty

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

Here's the (almost) resident woodpecker (male) taken by my next-door neighbour. The holes he pecks are like .22 rounds. Quite audible while he's at it...

received_3696313643746517.jpeg

received_349940796118068.jpeg

That’s a great shot. I’ve only ever seen a woodpecker twice on the Island, and on both occasions in the south. Once when walking on a footpath from Grenaby to Ballabeg and more recently in Silverdale Glen. You hear them before you see them!

On 10/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, doc.fixit said:

That's very sad to hear. Yes we have a small pond and a cultivated wilderness area which includes a bee hotel.

Over the last few days I have been getting a lot more chaffinches/goldfinches coming to the feeders so I hope you are getting them back too.

I wonder with the good weather in the spring and the roadside hedges not being butchered so much by the DOI and LA's this year due to the lockdown whether there has been a bumper crop of seeds in the countryside this year or the migrating flocks had gone further north for the summer

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

Not exactly a little bird but one taking its toll on the local populations. A Prize-winning shot of a Kestrel, captured today by my neighbour. You gotta put the time in to get a smudge like this...

received_825393911566054.jpeg

Very nice! Brian does put the time in though, seen some amazing shots from him.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 12:47 PM, ellanvannin2010 said:

Over the last few days I have been getting a lot more chaffinches/goldfinches coming to the feeders so I hope you are getting them back too.

I wonder with the good weather in the spring and the roadside hedges not being butchered so much by the DOI and LA's this year due to the lockdown whether there has been a bumper crop of seeds in the countryside this year or the migrating flocks had gone further north for the summer

Cheers EV. Noticed a couple of birds in the hedge but only identified the robin. The others were either wrens or sparrows, I didn't get a view of them just the rustling and a few tweets. The doves pay us regular visits but no thrush, starling  nor blackbird now. So sad, but still enjoy the rooks and seagulls on the church tower.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, doc.fixit said:

wow! two sparrows today. lol

A lot more birds this week, Sparrows are back in good numbers, 20+ Chaffinch and Goldfinch, even Brambling and Siskin

Am I right you live down the North?., been reports of good numbers of Fieldfare and Redwing down there.

Hope they return to you soon if they have not already.

• Like 1