Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

And the irony is not wasted upon me that the GMP are busted for growing a few plants for personal when the Govt are actively backing this is and the fact it is all for export.

It's not the GMP who are growing these plants though, is it. It's stoners.

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/1250-fine-for-man-who-grew-cannabis-to-ease-anxiety/

One mans wind turbine is another mans fan?

In outbuidings they found a grow tent and lighting system, six plants and what officers described as a wind turbine which later turned out to be a fan.

I remember this lad from about 20 years ago. He didn't have a good thing to say about 'wacky baccy'. I wonder what changed.

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Hopefully none I would have thought. 

Peel Group have also got history in the renewable energy market too.  Power for this would be key as they will be grown under lights and it seems they are proposing solar, plus right next to the incinerator. 

The Govt plans to earn money from this, hence the £65K license fee.  That's before any of the tax they'd likely get. 

Frankly Govt should stand aside and let Peel Group get on with it an keep any meddling to a minimum.  Although I think we all know what will happen. 

I'm still very skeptical of the general IOM Cannabis plan however. 

How/who will they export to? 

The UK will probably replicate any tax breaks offered here if they deem it to be commercially viable. 

And the irony is not wasted upon me that the GMP are busted for growing a few plants for personal when the Govt are actively backing this is and the fact it is all for export.

Peel are infrastructure developers. I don't see see anything in their blurb about them operating the research facility or growing stuff.

100% there'll be GMT money involved. Doesn't the land belong to GMT?

17 hours ago, Barlow said:

I remember this lad from about 20 years ago. He didn't have a good thing to say about 'wacky baccy'. I wonder what changed.

17 hours ago, quilp said:

He probably smoked some. 

It was an off-hand remark but it wouldn't be the first time that someone with a longtime aversion to cannabis eventually indulged on a whim and ended up wondering what all the fuss was about.

Our ambition is to bring forward a gold-standard centre of science and innovation for cannabis cultivation and research, which will lead in this emerging sector on the Isle of Man.

Being Peel, our ambition is to make shed loads of money.

It will "deliver investment to the Isle of Man that will unlock partnerships across the public and private sectors." So the public and private sectors will be falling over themselves to pay for it.

Win, win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Our ambition is to bring forward a gold-standard centre of science and innovation for cannabis cultivation and research, which will lead in this emerging sector on the Isle of Man.

Being Peel, our ambition is to make shed loads of money.

It will "deliver investment to the Isle of Man that will unlock partnerships across the public and private sectors." So the public and private sectors will be falling over themselves to pay for it.

Win, win.

Remember when the Liverpool dock was a win win?

Remember when Ancala partners, the owner of manxgas, bought a stake in peel holdings?

Do we really want these parasites involved in any more isle of man developments?

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Do we really want these parasites involved in any more isle of man developments?

Do you really think that I was saying that this was a win, win for the Great Manx Taxpayer?

You only have to look around their empire elsewhere.....

3 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Do you really think that I was saying that this was a win, win for the Great Manx Taxpayer?

You only have to look around their empire elsewhere.....

😂 My apologies.  It would appear my rage at peel and Ancala overrode my sarcasm detector

• 2 weeks later...

An automatic minimum 2-year driving ban, and a fine of however much for driving under the 'influence' of cannabis. 12 months longer than the UK for the same offence. Probably includes re-taking your driving test once the ban is up also.

Going to affect a lot of people if medicinal cannabis is legislated-for across the country.