Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

Why not increase the amount of constructive activities available to prisoners, and make them compulsory if necessary? Skilled trades, education, etc? If they're becoming frustrated with nothing to do, then they clearly need to have their hands and minds more fruitfully occupied.

As opposed to training them to get stoned (if they're not already au fait with the art). I thought prison was touted as being corrective these days rather than punitive?

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Why not increase the amount of constructive activities available to prisoners, and make them compulsory if necessary? Skilled trades, education, etc? If they're becoming frustrated with nothing to do, then they clearly need to have their hands and minds more fruitfully occupied.

As opposed to training them to get stoned (if they're not already au fait with the art). I thought prison was touted as being corrective these days rather than punitive?

It’s a vicious circle, there aren’t many employers willing to take on people with a criminal record, certainly not straight from release, this means you have to go down the self employed route which requires money to start up, unlikely to get a grant, what’s the fastest way to get cash together? 

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There’s lots of jobs prisoners could be doing but that would mean government making it happen. I remember years ago that prisoners used to be utilised around the Island. They should reinstate this asap

18 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

There’s lots of jobs prisoners could be doing but that would mean government making it happen. I remember years ago that prisoners used to be utilised around the Island. They should reinstate this asap

Human rights innit!

25 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

My dad was standing by the Falcon Cliff Hotel one morning in the 70's when the old ex fire services personnel carrier vehicle used by Victoria Road prison came trundling slowly towards him. As it came alongside, he saw it was being pushed by about a dozen prisoners with the guards in the cab. They pushed it off down Palace Road and it kicked into life, the driver blew the horn and all the prisoners ran and jumped into the back and off they went to their work detail!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, Neil Down said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58333&headline=Drugs are the biggest threat to our island&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Crime

Maybe now is the time to re-think the whole cannabis situation. Let me clarify that I don't smoke. Have never used cannabis but think now is the time for the IOM to follow some of the other countries who have legalised cannabis. Nearly every week, the local paper carries stories of people being arrested for offences relating to cannabis.

I think it should stay illegal but personal use should be an in the spot fine or community service. I have an issue making it legal as it would attract a bad element to the island. Look at Portugal and Amsterdam and the massive issues with class A drug addiction and crime. It could very much be argued that this has happened due to the cannabis legalisation and what that leads to. 

Nonsense. You couldn't be more wrong about Portugal, for instance. Cannabis is not legal in the Netherlands, it's decriminalised and the authorities take a very liberal approach to sales and consumption. Licensed outlets ensure that quality is maintained and reduces the involvement of criminal gangs considerably. Actually, little point in arguing the toss with the ill-informed and those who have little depth to their 'knowledge' of drugs and society. It's an issue that's been done to death. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, quilp said:

Nonsense. You couldn't be more wrong about Portugal, for instance. Cannabis is not legal in the Netherlands, it's decriminalised and the authorities take a very liberal approach to sales and consumption. Licensed outlets ensure that quality is maintained and reduces the involvement of criminal gangs considerably. Actually, little point in arguing the toss with the ill-informed and those who have little depth to their 'knowledge' of drugs and society. It's an issue that's been done to death. 

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/20/133086356/Mixed-Results-For-Portugals-Great-Drug-Experiment
When Portugal decriminalized all illegal drugs in 2000, officials hoped to reduce addiction rates and drug-related violence. Today, more users are in rehab, but drug use is on the rise, and reporter Keith O'Brien says the policy has made the problem worse.

I reckon you didn't read that article (from 2011, no less) in its entirety. You selected the link, read the first 100 words and decided to include it to bolster your 'argument' when actually, it doesn't. Happens a lot on MF...

Regardless, we're talking about cannabis here, not the legalisation of class A's and designer drugs, which I'm against.