Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

So the insane hypocritical bastards are going to allow companies to grow weed for export then.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tynwald-approves-licensing-system-to-grow-cannabis-on-iom/

Let me grow some for my own use you pricks.

Almost certain there will be a way around that, possibly with an a bit of creativity, they must allow a certain percentage of failed crop that wouldn’t reach the ‘gold standards’, plus a few samples for quality control. I would imagine if you were caught with it outside the premises that would be an automatic loss of grow licence.

LibVan calling for expediency in the legalisation of medicinal Cannabis on the Island, "this year" or if not, "by the next Tynwald." I think the Headmaster said, "not on my watch!" Maybe someone should ask the Head Girl if she's supportive of it...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/libvan-calls-for-medicinal-cannabis-legalisation-asap/

On 1/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, Roxanne said:

I think he said not on his watch to recreational.

This is coming in now.  The fields are all ready, and they're ready to go. That it's all for export is a blow for the people who live here who really need it.  No doubt we'll have to buy it back at top price,

About these fields. How hard would it be to slip in a few extra plants here and there? Given that apparently many of the seeds now available have been specifically cultivated to grow outdoors.

Asking for the friend of a friend.

Seeds were always, in the old days cultivated outdoors until the advent of hydroponics. Hybridisation of plants to seed is an art and you can order seeds (sexed as female, male plants are just a headache, literally), to suit any part of the world. With all the vacant warehouse space over here it would be just as easy and more manageable to grow indoors where heat and light are regulated for predictable product standards and less chance of local wildlife (including the human kind) taking its toll, bloody rabbits especially. 

There’s 3 separate things here. Medical use - Hooper and several other pushing for this (DHSC) production as an industry, DFE led and happening, and recreation - not on Howard’s watch- which is home affairs. I don’t know why people think they are linked in any way - other than it’s the same product but 3 distinct legislation requirements in 3 different departments. 

1 minute ago, Beer Boy said:

There’s 3 separate things here. Medical use - Hooper and several other pushing for this (DHSC) production as an industry, DFE led and happening, and recreation - not on Howard’s watch- which is home affairs. I don’t know why people think they are linked in any way - other than it’s the same product but 3 distinct legislation requirements in 3 different departments. 

I can understand that legislation would be required in order for a thing to be licensed for medical use.

But how completely daft that the plant was ever made illegal in the first place. As if it's anyone's business. Government should stick to running the Navy, protecting international trade etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beer Boy said:

Not quite. DHSC are responsible for the all of the Island's drug and alcohol policy including the reclassification of drugs; DJHA are responsible for enforcement of the policy via the police; and DFE are basically the marketing Department for the new industry. The only part that has been carved out from the DHSC is the regulatory side for the farming of cannabis which Tynwald transferred to the Gambling Commission the other month.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I can understand that legislation would be required in order for a thing to be licensed for medical use.

But how completely daft that the plant was ever made illegal in the first place. As if it's anyone's business. Government should stick to running the Navy, protecting international trade etc.

I did not know the IOM had a Navy.