Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

Dr Allinson MHK is on Manx Radio Mannin Line just now and has replied to a caller regarding this. In a nutshell he is into legalising recreational cannabis, but as a Minister has to "toe the Party line".

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

With the current UK Government thinking, I reckon it will be a while before any relaxation on illegal drugs is going to happen:

Middle-class drug users could lose UK passports under Boris Johnson’s plans

End of ‘slaps on the wrist’ for middle-class drug users

I suspect absolutely nothing will come of this - or if it does it won't be aimed at white middle-class people.  It's just the usual rhetoric aimed at the Conservatives core audience of spiteful pensioners who don't want anyone except themselves to have a good time.

Either that or it's Johnson letting Gove know he's got the photos (or possibly vice versa).

• Like 1

As ever though, it's just as instructive to see what doesn't appear in the British papers as what does.  When the new German government was agreed between three Parties, a couple of weeks ago, part of that agreement was the legalisation of cannabis.  As you might expect this got considerable worldwide coverage and there have been both follow-up piece and articles in the business press about the economic opportunities and so on.

And yet I can find absolutely nothing in mainstream British Press or other media that covers it (even though there was some when Luxembourg did so the previous month).  

Govt continues fannying about with project that can only possibly have been dreamed up by someone that was actually stoned at the time... 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-cannabis-licences-granted-yet-admits-minister/

Yet another tiresome shambles. 

I see Malta have legaiized the use of cannabis for personal use in the home  but will come down hard on people found driving or causing trouble while under the influence of the drug , 

I have friends there who said  the police are keen to break up the drugs cartel , particularly as a lot of Hash and hard drugs come in from North Africa  and are sent on the  European market ,

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I like that. We’re giving you something but if you fuck up there will be consequences.

In Portugal You’re allowed 28 grams for personal use. Any more than that on you and you get done as ‘a supplier’. That also seems to keep things nice and steady. 

Italy you can cultivate four plants for personal use I think.  Sell it and the penalties have ben increased.

We really are getting left behind again when we could easily be leading the way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I like that. We’re giving you something but if you fuck up there will be consequences.

In Portugal You’re allowed 28 grams for personal use. Any more than that on you and you get done as ‘a supplier’. That also seems to keep things nice and steady. 

Fairs, but it's not like that with alcohol. My booze cupboard is bursting with different types of strong alcohol. Be nice to have a cupboard bursting with different types of sativa, indica, rudelaris and hybrids!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Odd how Imperial measures (ie an ounce) are continued over into metric-using countries.  Malta (who have a more Imperial past) allow you to have 7 g on you and will fine you if you have between 7 g and 28 g (though it's not a criminal offence).  Over that it becomes dealing.  I think you're allowed up to 50 g at home.