Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

56 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Should we enforce cannabis laws? From Isle of Man Newspapers.

Well actually yes, we should. Until such time as the law is changed then it is the law.

It looks like the local pot heads have got to Gary. I'm not convinced that "most of the people accept that cannabis is OK to use".

You a god botherer by any chance...

59 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It looks like the local pot heads have got to Gary. I'm not convinced that "most of the people accept that cannabis is OK to use".

The CC is only stating the obvious and as he said, it wasn't representative of his views, on which he doesn't elaborate so it can hardly be the case that local pot-heads "have got to Gary." What a ridiculous notion.

You've an odd take on cannabis. There's definitely more to it than just plain, old-fashioned ignorance.

I miss dilligaf... 

2 hours ago, quilp said:

You've an odd take on cannabis. There's definitely more to it than just plain, old-fashioned ignorance.

Possession and use of cannabis is against the law.

It seems that our Gary is deciding what laws to enforce. I'm sure you will be perfectly ok with that, and many of your ilk.

I wonder how long would it take for pot heads to start whinging about "a police state" if the Chief Constable took it into his own hands on other matters what laws to enforce.

The situation is perfectly simple. Change the law or keep it as it is.

That is how our society is supposed to work.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Possession and use of cannabis is against the law.

It seems that our Gary is deciding what laws to enforce. I'm sure you will be perfectly ok with that, and many of your ilk.

I wonder how long would it take for pot heads to start whinging about "a police state" if the Chief Constable took it into his own hands on other matters what laws to enforce.

The situation is perfectly simple. Change the law or keep it as it is.

That is how our society is supposed to work.

The statute book is full of redundant, unenforced or unenforceable laws.

The police have limited staff, and budget.

Policing is alleged to be by consent, in the Manx model.

Combine those and Gary is right. He has a balancing act deciding what laws to prioritise and enforce and which to leave to one side.

I get the impression he’s demob happy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Wright said:

The statute book is full of redundant, unenforced or unenforceable laws.

The police have limited staff, and budget.

Policing is alleged to be by consent, in the Manx model.

Combine those and Gary is right. He has a balancing act deciding what laws to prioritise and enforce and which to leave to one side.

I get the impression he’s demob happy.

I appreciate what you say.

My point here is that we are treading on dodgy ground when our lawmakers give even further free rein to the police to decide which laws to enforce and when. And most importantly to who.

So, legalise cannabis. It's that simple. Especially if the police don't have the resources or can't be arsed.

15 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I appreciate what you say.

My point here is that we are treading on dodgy ground when our lawmakers give even further free rein to the police to decide which laws to enforce and when. And most importantly to who.

So, legalise cannabis. It's that simple. Especially if the police don't have the resources or can't be arsed.

The criminal justice systems is made up of a path obstructed by a series of gateways. From crime to conviction and sentence.

At each gateway there is a gatekeeper, sometimes more than one, and often the path branches just before the gate, and the gatekeeper(s) has/have a huge degree of discretion to stop progress, divert, or open the gate.

So, crime committed.

Gate 1. Is it noticed

Gate 2. Is it reported

Gate 3. Is it investigated

Gate 4. Is an arrest made 

Gate 5. Is the arrested person interviewed

Gate 6. Is there sufficient evidence to prosecute

Gate 7. Is it in the public interest to prosecute

Gate 8. Can it be dealt with outside of court by alternative disposal

Gate 9. Guilty plea or not, or negotiated disposal

Gate 10. Guilty/Not guilty

Gate 11. Sentencing options.

Well, CC Roberts is just expressing the position publicly, that has always existed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Barlow said:

Well actually yes, we should. Until such time as the law is changed then it is the law.

I happen to agree with you. And no, I’m not a God botherer either. Quite the opposite. 

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Thankfully you and your mate are not in a position to enforce outdated laws

Whatever, but the last time I looked it wasn't outdated.

If the law is so "outdated" - accordingly to you, stoners and such others - then it will be easily changed. And if not why not? (Genuine question).

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Whatever, but the last time I looked it wasn't outdated.

If the law is so "outdated" - accordingly to you, stoners and such others - then it will be easily changed. And if not why not? (Genuine question).

Probably because people like you kick off everytime it gets mentioned

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, quilp said:

Has any guidance or advice on how and where to apply for the private prescription been issued by ManxCare or whichever department is managing the process? 

No guidance issued.  They are hoping nobody will use the service so they can justify dragging their heels.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Manx Care won’t care as long as they are getting a cut of it

I don't think you need to cut cannabis, it's relatively mild?

Tho I wouldn't trust any that Slinky is selling!!!

Court case in todays paper, man fined 1200 quids for growing his own, seems to me that growing it is keeping the illicit market element out? Fines for possession are much lower usually. Should growing be regarded as a lower grade offense?

Also someone, from Merseyside, charged with 'removing' 90k quid from the Island, that's a indication of the market?