Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

Poor reporting, or am I just being ignorant?  Surely you can only be charged if you have actually sold it?  Not saying "yeah I can get you some"?  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/woman-charged-with-offering-to-sell-cannabis/

On 3/31/2022 at 4:45 PM, Kopek said:

Court case in todays paper, man fined 1200 quids for growing his own, seems to me that growing it is keeping the illicit market element out? Fines for possession are much lower usually. Should growing be regarded as a lower grade offense?

This does also confuse me.  Surely aren't laws put in place to protect our general safety, ensure our rights as citizens against abuses by other people, by organizations, and by the government itselfBy growing your own, you are neither endangering yourself, anyone else (assuming you're not selling) not contributing to organised crime and all that entails etc etc. 

• Like 3

One-point-nine grams, not 19 as proposed in that link.

That drug arrest referral scheme isn't worth the paper it's printed on. The number of people, mainly kids, who've attended did so for reasons of appearance. One lad I know, arrested for a tiny, basically unusable amount of poor-quality hashish, which wouldn't have got a fly high, laughed all the way home after attending and immediately skinned-up as soon as he got home. A deterrent it is not. 

On 3/30/2022 at 9:27 PM, quilp said:

Has any guidance or advice on how and where to apply for the private prescription been issued by ManxCare or whichever department is managing the process? 

There's an interesting FoI response (to DHSC - 2355293/Legislation and Meeting Minutes regarding Medicinal Cannabis Pharmacy)  published a couple of days ago to someone who asked: I would like to request all regulations/legislation and meeting minutes that discussed the new Medicinal Cannabis Pharmacy/Dispensary planned to open in July 2022. 

What they have replied with (as usual they have refused everything they can and taken as long as they can) is quite revealing, though mainly about the usual civil service attitude that any action should be delayed for as long as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What they have replied with (as usual they have refused everything they can and taken as long as they can) is quite revealing, though mainly about the usual civil service attitude that any action should be delayed for as long as possible. 

They don’t really have any intent on bringing it in. They’ve just conned a few people to apply for licenses on the grounds that it sounded plausible at the time. 

9 hours ago, Bandits said:

They don’t really have any intent on bringing it in. They’ve just conned a few people to apply for licenses on the grounds that it sounded plausible at the time. 

hasn't the ex CM got an interest in one of the licences ??