Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

Neil Down

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/medicinal-cannabis-reliant-on-willing-gps-says-ashford/

Parried/dodged/shirked/delegated the decision. 

Unfortunately it looks like it will NEVER happen as the Govt are clearly under impression that anyone who partakes is a feckless junkie.   It's a shame, but did we expect anything else?

• Like 2

Just now, quilp said:

It really isn't on their list of priorities. Though Ashford is himself positive about the use of medicinal cannabis. It seems the majority of GP's are not so you're probably right that widespread availability of it is a long way off. 

Why would GP's want or support an alternative to their big pharma pay masters

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quilp said:

It really isn't on their list of priorities. Though Ashford is himself positive about the use of medicinal cannabis. It seems the majority of GP's are not so you're probably right that widespread availability of it is a long way off. 

Basically the vast majority of MHKs are a bunch of ill informed cunts then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

I’m not sure it’s that simple. I’m a big advocate of the whole thing as I’ve found CBD to have had a big medicinal effect for me for joint pain. But the doctors I’ve spoken to seem to be concerned about unwanted police attention if they register to administer medicinal cannabis etc rather than protecting big pharma. It seems the perception is that a lot of the plod are still of the opinion that if you sign up for this you’re also the sort of Doctor who will be knocking out scripts for diazepam and other opioids to junkies on the sly. 

If people (like me) with Fibromyalgia, and other complex regional pain syndromes were able to go to a pharmacy or licensed outlet and buy quality herb, or premium hash, we wouldn't have to endure the side-effects of our daily intake of strong opiates, gut-burning anti-inflammatories, and other 'approved' concoctions. The horrors of opioid addiction are well known and yet doctors will hand out prescriptions for them in full knowledge that the consumption of them may end in an addicted patient. Another drain on health services resources.

Maybe opposing doctors feel disempowered by the existence of an effective palliative substance they have little understanding of. 

Edited by quilp
Spelling.
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

Is that the case over here though?

I know it is in the US, but I don't recall ever having named brand drugs pushed upon me by my Doc.  Although I've never really had significant ailments or requirement for longterm medication. 

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Just a pity that so many people now have a criminal record...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Just a pity that so many people now have a criminal record...

Cannabis may be less harmful to the person but it is harmful to society.

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

Explain (please). And what do you think about the article in this week's local rag claiming that in the last 5 years, more people died from prescribed legal pharmaceuticals than died from illegal drugs? What about that harm factor? 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Barlow said:

Feel free to expand on that comment. Whilst we await that with baited breath, have a go at answering the the following questions?

1. How many times have the police attended locations where alcohol has been the prime mover on violent crime

2. How many times have the police attended locations where cannabis has been the prime mover on violent crime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

In another life I used to work closely with the Peel police and they told me once that they called it the wonder drug. i.e. it gave them a quieter shift with less forms to fill in.

goes some way to show just why it isn't a priority to legalise. Constabulary would see their budget slashed

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

In another life I used to work closely with the Peel police and they told me once that they called it the wonder drug. i.e. it gave them a quieter shift with less forms to fill in.

Which succinctly provides answers:

13 hours ago, Barlow said:

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Explain (please). And what do you think about the article in this week's local rag claiming that in the last 5 years, more people died from prescribed legal pharmaceuticals than died from illegal drugs? What about that harm factor? 

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Feel free to expand on that comment. Whilst we await that with baited breath, have a go at answering the the following questions?

1. How many times have the police attended locations where alcohol has been the prime mover on violent crime

2. How many times have the police attended locations where cannabis has been the prime mover on violent crime

Society simply won't function if it is addled on weed.

I'll expand for the breath baters:

Someone explained in an earlier thread (was it you Quilp?) how they would have a joint when working on a construction site, it was how they operated and there were others that did the same. Maybe such as this would explain why the Promenade and other such projects take so long, and mistakes are made. It would certainly explain a lot, and you only have to read the promenade thread to see what I mean. Oh, and I am noit just suggesting the lads on site, what about the office workers and designers? Spliffers too? 

Another prominent poster explained that they liked a joint before they went to work and they were aware of others that did the same - teachers, accountants etc and even - god forbid - a couple of advocates. This didn't surprise me one iota.

It explains a lot.

Now that maybe just a handful and apparently they do ok. But as I said in that thread, would there be such a self-righteous air if the list had included surgeons, dentists, and big decision makers.

Perhaps it does.

Again it would explain a lot.

A society can't function if it is weed-addled. It is as simple as that. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2