Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

That'll be brave then?

Why would you be brave to offer your opinion as an expert to a uneducated farmer who just happens to be CM? Just remember come next year he could be back shovelling cowshit out of a barn, I very much doubt the same could be said for the good DR.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Neither,  she is honest, which in this day and age is to be applauded and if only Dr RG had some colleagues who had the balls to stand up to the CM we may well be a bit more transparent and have a clear forward plan which we are lacking.

How many Consultants do we have in Nobles, along with senior managers and nurses ? They are all publicly very quiet.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Why would you be brave to offer your opinion as an expert to a uneducated farmer who just happens to be CM? Just remember come next year he could be back shovelling cowshit out of a barn, I very much doubt the same could be said for the good DR.

Howard won't be shovelling shit in those two-tone leather brogues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Neither,  she is honest, which in this day and age is to be applauded and if only Dr RG had some colleagues who had the balls to stand up to the CM we may well be a bit more transparent and have a clear forward plan which we are lacking.

But, as I'm sure she'd be the first to point out, she has the advantage that she has her own business which doesn't rely on government contracts or indeed on-Island business.  She's only a temporary employee of the Manx NHS who is there because she offered to help.  Most of her NHS colleagues don't have that advantage and will have to be careful for fear of damaging their careers and livelihoods.  And of course that's even truer in the Isle of Man because it's not like you can get a job at a neighbouring Trust if you fall out with people.  It's clear that this is about the government not consulting with any of the medical/technical people.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I'm not likening HQ to Trump as that would be a step too far but here we have a microcosm of a situation not so far removed where the leader of a country surrounds himself with those who share the same opinion and anyone who may be able to contribute with an alternative point of view is ignored and ostracised. She's not the only one this has happened to is she?

Isn't the object of any major decision that affects the population best achieved after consultation with as many experts as possible?

(not including all the ones on here of course - that really would be a step too far)

Who else has been ostracised?

Back in the day when I had a proper job with some responsibility, quite often I’d have to run something fast moving, with limited information and take some tough calls. The job would normally calm down after an hour or two, and you could consult on a much wider range of advice and information to base your decisions from that point on. If there was ever an inquiry it would save the embarrassment of the “how widely did you consult?” And “ this person was offering expert advice, why did you exclude them?” 

Having an independent expert on hand to give a sterile opinion, outside of the bubble is a bit of a gift, especially in long game stuff. Until you know what they are saying, it is difficult to evaluate the worth of their information. I suspect Rachel has a naysayer in public health who is keeping her from the door. 

• Like 4

Whatever the ins and outs are any professional that takes to twitter to vent their spleen and have a hissy fit loses all credibility as far as I am concerned, many have done this and deeply regretted their actions.   Why not go down the path of the telephone or emailing the CM.   No she goes on Twitter with her grievance how pathetic is that, she is not a Government employee she has her own business.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Whatever the ins and outs are any professional that takes to twitter to vent their spleen and have a hissy fit loses all credibility as far as I am concerned, many have done this and deeply regretted their actions.   Why not go down the path of the telephone or emailing the CM.   No she goes on Twitter with her grievance how pathetic is that, she is not a Government employee she has her own business.  

A public spat is never good but the government are not good at engaging. Whether the decisions the government are making on Covid are right or wrong, they have a large impact on all of us and should not be shrouded in secrecy. Unfortunately taking matters to a public forum appears to be the only way of getting a response from the civil servants making the decisions.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A public forum for me would be an interview with the media not going down the back entrance  of twitter....

Unfortunately, David uh sorry Sid, the manx media are not noted for their inquisitive reporting or for that matter willing to rock the boat in case they are sunk, look at the response PM got at the last briefing and PM was correct in his opinion that HQ should have delegated if he had "man flu" and not stood on stage and reported on nothing new.

• Like 1