Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

Hmm.... I had to look up Dr. Glover. As far as I can ascertain, she is not a medical doctor and does not have any relevant field expertise or experience in controlling a Pandemic. Also there's plenty of local experience and expertise in laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19. So I'm at a loss trying to understand why we think HQ should be listening to her rather than his Public Health and Infection control consultants. What am I missing here?

Edited by Dr. Grumpy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Hmm.... I had to look up Dr. Glover. As far as I can ascertain, she is not a medical doctor and does not have any relevant field expertise or experience in controlling a Pandemic. Also there's plenty of local experience and expertise in laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19. So I'm at a loss trying to understand why we think HQ should be listening to her rather than his Public Health and Infection control consultants. What am I missing here?

I might be wrong but if it wasn't for her we probably wouldn't have had the testing facility up and running in such a short time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I might be wrong but if it wasn't for her we probably wouldn't have had the testing facility up and running in such a short time.

With respect, you are incorrect. It was people like Dr Shields, Mr Doyle and Dr Khan who were and are key to our success with on-island testing for COVID-19

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

With respect, you are incorrect. It was people like Dr Shields, Mr Doyle and Dr Khan who were and are key to our success with on-island testing for COVID-19

I hope they've been recognised and rewarded for their efforts because they seem to have been very low profile? Of course they may have preferred that?

1 hour ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Why do you need to be a medical doctor to set up laboratory facilities and offer expertise in molecular diagnostics and the like?

We have plenty of medical personnel on the island who have presided over one of the most inefficient and dysfunctional bureaucracies many will see in their lifetime. I would think this is the exact time we need heads other than our own Public Health to offer opinions in a scenario none of them will have faced before.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

With respect, you are. Without @rachomics on island PCR testing for covid would not have happened when it did, if at all. Of course, Rizwan Khan and Steve Doyle were vital too - sorry don’t know Dr Shields. 

One reason Rachel needs to be involved in testing strategy discussions is logistics. She knows better than everyone how much we can do here, and how quickly etc. It’s no good someone announcing a mass-testing policy at borders, for example, if there’s been no discussion as to how it might or might not work. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

With respect, you are. Without @rachomics on island PCR testing for covid would not have happened when it did, if at all. Of course, Rizwan Khan and Steve Doyle were vital too - sorry don’t know Dr Shields. 

One reason Rachel needs to be involved in testing strategy discussions is logistics. She knows better than everyone how much we can do here, and how quickly etc. It’s no good someone announcing a mass-testing policy at borders, for example, if there’s been no discussion as to how it might or might not work. 

And I was wrong, apparently :cool:

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

We can agree to disagree on this Wrighty, Rachel's input has to be weighted equally with that of the colleagues mentioned above whilst formulating policy in my view.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1