Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

29 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I might be wrong here so am open to correction but, Dr Glover didn't reveal wrongdoings or cover ups on Twitter she just stated that she didn't feel her advice was being listened to and felt "dissed" in press conferences. She also expressed (on here I think) that the culture within DHSC was toxic (that's my lazy paraphrasing).

The issues to me are that I absolutely believe that and that is a failing within the management structure which needs to be addressed and dealt with. Also Dr Glover should have been able to raise these issues and concerns through channels and whistleblow internally up to a point where things start to be taken seriously and listened to without having to resort to tagging Manx Radio journalists into Tweets to get a response. I don't know if every avenue was exhausted to a reasonable degree or the interactions held.

If you take this into the private sector if you took to social media slagging off your MD and board and management which somehow resulted in Manx Radio phoning up the place asking questions I'm not convinced you'd be welcomed back into work on Monday morning with a fresh coffee and a hug.

I was not refering to Dr Glover in this case, I was refering to Dr Grumpy in his response that the floodgates would open if there was not a penalty involved, if there are wrongdoing's covered up by silence, this in my opinion is not acceptable. 

20 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I don't know how anyone would be able to reel off the names of all the doctors involved in the government testing unit without being on the inside track. 

No-one likes a smart arse.

First time ever I think, the word smart has been used to describe me. So thanks!

And the information I posted is available in the public domain if you do your research

Just now, Beelzebub3 said:

I was not refering to Dr Glover in this case, I was refering to Dr Grumpy in his response that the floodgates would open if there was not a penalty involved, if there are wrongdoing's covered up by silence, this in my opinion is not acceptable. 

my apologies for misinterpreting the flow of your reply

I think a portion of my response stands - there should be a robust way to escalate issues and have them listened to and steps taken

Whilst I also don't want a silence and censorship culture the opposite is also not conducive to good operation as any old grievance could be aired and not all of them would be with best intentions. Who was the lady who stood for MHK in 2016 with the very public spat with DHSC?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

my apologies for misinterpreting the flow of your reply

I think a portion of my response stands - there should be a robust way to escalate issues and have them listened to and steps taken

Whilst I also don't want a silence and censorship culture the opposite is also not conducive to good operation as any old grievance could be aired and not all of them would be with best intentions. Who was the lady who stood for MHK in 2016 with the very public spat with DHSC?

It is very important to have an open policy on whistleblowing and also support for those that feel the need to "out" certain issue's. IMO every report into any issue's should be investigated thoroughly by an independant body not within the department where the issue has been reported. This should be encouraged and if there is no issue's found/proven, at least you have the evidence to show that an investigation has been carried out and action can be taken or not as the case may be. This should be commonplace especially within Government.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

It is very important to have an open policy on whistleblowing and also support for those that feel the need to "out" certain issue's. IMO every report into any issue's should be investigated thoroughly by an independant body not within the department where the issue has been reported. This should be encouraged and if there is no issue's found/proven, at least you have the evidence to show that an investigation has been carried out and action can be taken or not as the case may be. This should be commonplace especially within Government.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with anything you say there.

A good healthy culture would have plenty of opportunities to raise things internally and that be dealt with and then matters should be able to be raised to an independent body if the internal process yields no result

• Like 2

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

She never really said what capacity she was employed in. The testing facility AFAIK is her standalone business.

No it's not - this is her standalone business.  What she did was help set up the Covid testing facility based on a DNA analyser that DEFA had had sitting around for nearly a decade, doing nothing and then ran it, trained the existing microbiology staff to operate it, set up the correct protocols for running it and sourced the chemicals and so on needed to operate it (this is harder than you would think with current demand).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1