Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is what is so extraordinary.  Except it now appears they had since Wednesday morning to get the response correct and they still managed to come up with something that made a staged denunciation at a Stalinist show trial sound convincing and reasonable in comparison.  It's incompetence taken to the highest level.  Blaming the media for reporting stuff was never going to go down well either.

Amazing analogy

Couldn't agree with this summary more

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

My balls are not brass. They're titanium plated steel. The typical variety for a woman employed in science. 

:D Please for benefit of all of us just crack on! What happened today in press conference was an embarrassment. Had politicians (people with few hundred votes) questioning role of press and criticizing an individual who firstly over many years developed expertise to be able to and then set up “Lighthouse” lab for small island community (size of UK county council).

The nature of scientific research at least in my field (I am maths PhD) is over time (typically many years) you develop a unique perspective, intuition and insight into your area(s) of interest. The unbelievable luck for IoM was that at start of pandemic of new pathogen an individual Dr Glover who resided here, firstly had the insight into the field to set up a local testing facility, and secondly lowered herself enough to get involved with all inevitable politics. The idea you can somehow lift know how from people with real insight developed over 20 years in 7 months is not realistic…. If get outbreak things could go pear shaped at test facility pretty fast. [In UK as I understand it when people returned to University teaching roles from “Lighthouse” labs in September the system suffered.]

Fact Dr Glover was not primary technical advice on testing facility, I assume because someone did not like scientific version of reality based on 20 years’ experience including running lab with 20K samples day. Which begs the questions what exactly were those views?

Edited by BenFairfax
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Quayle and Ashford have indisputably shown themselves as the petty, spiteful, ignorant and incompetent half-wits that many of us have clearly discerned from day 1. They’re a disgrace who should be unceremoniously booted out of office. ‘Chief Minister’ my arse. Appalling.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Easy analogy really. If your in a fight you dont leave the guy/girl with the gun out of the battle ! We are faced with a uncertain future as far as lots of things go so currently left with numpties in charge who know jackshit and a person with knowledge , Rachel , left on the periphery. You couldnt make it up. We are governed and led mostly by ego driven  people that believe their own hype and are not bright or intelligent  enough to see the big picture. This all has confirmed what many of us have suspected for along time.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is what is so extraordinary.  Except it now appears they had since Wednesday morning to get the response correct and they still managed to come up with something that made a staged denunciation at a Stalinist show trial sound convincing and reasonable in comparison.  It's incompetence taken to the highest level.  Blaming the media for reporting stuff was never going to go down well either.

I can't help wondering if Quayle is behind this - if only because not even the hapless 'communications professionals' that he surrounds himself with can be that useless.  The sort of petty spite with which the whole thing was carried out and the way he got someone else to do his dirty work (he got someone else to sack Beecroft remember) do seem rather his style.  But then that sort of thing is very characteristic of how many in the civil service operate - that's why Quayle was their chosen man.

Good post Roger.

I can't help thinking that there are similarities with this latest debacle to that of the October 2017 car crash media briefing on the Panorama investigation into the VAT treatment of business aircraft! Shambolic and amateurish.

In situations such as this I'm always reminded of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_holes#:~:text=The first law of holes,on and exacerbating the situation.

Edited by Andy Onchan

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Good post Roger.

I can't help thinking that there are similarities of this latest debacle to that of the October 2017 car crash media briefing on the Panorama investigation on the VAT treatment of business aircraft! Shambolic and amateurish.

In situations such as this I'm always reminded of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_holes#:~:text=The first law of holes,on and exacerbating the situation.

Jonathan Davies has been internally promoted to the head of Communications after the departure of Liz Aelbery who is now head of Comms for Basildon Council. He’s been with Government for a decade or so. 

Edited by Derek Flint

That press conference was pure satire. I swear it was like watching a Little Britain sketch combined with Yes Minister.

It actually made me worried for the first time about how we are going to navigate our way around this whole Covid nonsense. If those two are the best we have then I really do fear for what the island will look like in a year's time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1