Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Like this one:

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/14/government-awards-122-million-ppe-contract-to-one-month-old-firm/

Well, it seems the IoM is involved in one way or another.

This may be one of the few cases in history where Manx Radio did more investigative journalism than Byline Times and pointed out the Doug Barrowman link.

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

We lack economy of scale, the UK suffers from diseconomy of scale - it’s too big to manage effectively. This explains the debacle of the national test and trace, the stupid rules that mean you could go to gym in Manchester but not Liverpool, the 4 nations doing what they please.  I could go on. Ditto the US. Economically all they have is borrowing ability. 

That is a really good point. I think the UK is really struggling for an identity at the moment. Is it one nation, or four? Is it one nation or North/south? What about regions? Devolution of power may be causing more problems than it is solving right now.

• Like 2

The reckless allocation of gov. funds is in a way relevant to the title of this thread. No doubt Dr. Glover (or whoever is the substitute) and associates would be grateful for money to spend on new equipment.

Here the gov. spends near countless amounts money on new buses that have Wi-Fi, and GPS enabled announcements that say things like "Say hello to the fairies" and "This is the airport, get off here if you want to catch a plane".

The hospital has recently announced that has just received three new scanners - all three paid for by charitable donations. Or, to put it in the way I see things, the Health Service has been walking up and down Strand Street holding out a begging bowl.

I think that the gov. should instead be spending our money on medical equipment, and if the DoI wants to have new buses with all the extras, they should send Ian Longworth out to walk up and down Strand Street with the begging bowl - and maybe a few MHKs should be there to help him out.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

That is a really good point. I think the UK is really struggling for an identity at the moment. Is it one nation, or four? Is it one nation or North/south? What about regions? Devolution of power may be causing more problems than it is solving right now.

The Union flag is a powerful a symbol now as it ever was, despite the regional and devolved crap going on that's going to cost the residents in those areas dearly.