Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

10 hours ago, Apple said:

Brexit has not happened yet.

If you want to debate who "runs" the island then I suggest starting  a new topic.

Dr Glover is back and that is all that matters for this thread.

I don’t know whether you missed it but the UK left the European Union at 11 pm  GMT on 31st January 2020

6 minutes ago, All Right said:

And the agreement to leave kept being extended by mutual agreement to the point that the UK a has still not actually left. 

I could have sworn that I saw on television the Union Flag being taken down from the European Council in Brussels on that date.

Of course there is a transition period, but to say Brexit has not happened and the UK has still not actually left is patently nonsense

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I could have sworn that I saw on television the Union Flag being taken down from the European Council in Brussels on that date.

There is quite a bit of legal work involved apparently. I can put a German flag up in my garden. It doesn’t mean that I live in Germany. 

On 11/24/2020 at 8:20 AM, Roxanne said:

Would someone be good enough to explain 'spreadergate' to me.  Keep it simple.  Thank you.

The following little Ditty may assist - nothing serious and no criticism of any individual intended. 

Ashie to Ashes, Trust to Dust

Media invited, Popcorn a must.

In 3 inch high heels, She seals the deals

Her bright star rises, Then bites the dust

She gets off the floor, comes back for more

It's Dogshit V Bullshit, Gonna be a fight

But as we all know, Two pongs don't make a Wright

This won't be over, till the fat lady sings

Methinks he waits, out in the wings

Muck spreading and Muck shredding, it's all the same

Just a small part, of the political game.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, All Right said:

We are heavily restricted whichever way you look at it. Yes we can go to pubs (you can also go to the pub in the UK too provided you also eat) but if your have off island family you’re actually more segregated here than you would be if you all lived in the UK. It’s even difficult for people to come over here for funerals and to see sick relatives. Off Island family can’t visit. Friends from across can’t visit. Students are basically treated like pariahs and many have even been forced out of their homes for two weeks on return now. It always amazes me that people say it’s so free over here when the reality is that it isn’t. If your life revolves around the pub and going for coffees rather than wanting your family and friends to be close to you you’re probably a very shallow person. 

I agree totally with you there. The only thing that makes living here tenable, especially if one’s family is elsewhere, is the ability to travel off island regularly and freely. And before someone says “you’re free to leave the island any time”, yes, technically I am. But having to self isolate for two weeks is a royal pain, a logistical problem and for some  people, not possible. So yes. Free to travel. With severe restrictions. 

Edited by Itsmeee
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

I agree totally with you there. The only thing that makes living here tenable, especially if one’s family is elsewhere, is the ability to travel off island regularly and freely. And before someone says “you’re free to leave the island any time”, yes, technically I am. But having to self isolate for two weeks is a royal pain, a logistical problem and for some  people, not possible. So yes. Free to travel. With severe restrictions. 

I see it's not ideal, of course, but really, how would you like to live in UK (or anywhere else in the world just now). Can't you just be grateful for what you/we have. I'm not sure you can, actually.

I'll remind you - there's a pandemic going on. 

A pandemic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

You don't have to come back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Oh gee...that's kind of you.

If the only thing that makes living here tenable for an individual is the ability to go elsewhere, then going elsewhere seems a reasonable option. Alternatively, one can choose to stay, and abide by the regulations currently in force for the common good.

1 hour ago, manxman34 said:

If the only thing that makes living here tenable for an individual is the ability to go elsewhere, then going elsewhere seems a reasonable option. Alternatively, one can choose to stay, and abide by the regulations currently in force for the common good.

I am abiding by the regulations. And I know they are for the common good. I’m just saying it’s hard. And I’m a bit sick of the vaguely racist attitude displayed by a minority towards ‘come overs’

Edited by Itsmeee
Spelling
  • Like 2