Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Then why have so many 'imports' failed?

A good question. The last 5 years has clearly shown problems with this.

Could it be that those recruiting are sub consciously displaying bias to 'protect' their own future positions by taking on candidates who will not threaten them so appoint sub standard people 

Or:

Are they just no good at picking the right people. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Banker said:

A salary package of £150k plus is exceptional for a civil servant on our little island!!

We can afford it, according to the DHSC. Two new Directors at £100 + each plus expenses = no problems.

Come one, come all.

20 hours ago, Banker said:

A salary package of £150k plus is exceptional for a civil servant on our little island!!

He's not just a civil servant, he is the most senior civil servant. I'm not bulling him up, he might be useless for all I know, but what I am saying is that it's not an exceptional salary for such a position of seniority. 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

He's not just a civil servant, he is the most senior civil servant. I'm not bulling him up, he might be useless for all I know, but what I am saying is that it's not an exceptional salary for such a position of seniority. 

It’s exceptionally good for here but Jersey senior civil servant was on £250k but had to resign recently 

25 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Should we all be paid less by those rules?

No because, say a pensions clerk in the Isle of Man will be doing roughly the same job as one in the UK.  But the Head of Pensions in Island will in charge of administering pensions for 15,000 people and maybe a dozen staff, while the equivalent in the UK will be responsible for 12 million pensions and thousands of staff.

We don't expect the manager of a small local supermarket to be paid anything like the same as the CEO of Tesco, but those at the top of our civil service seem to think they are entitled to almost as much as their UK counterparts. - and possibly more than their equivalents in devolved administrations such as Scotland, despite those countries being so much bigger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No because, say a pensions clerk in the Isle of Man will be doing roughly the same job as one in the UK.  But the Head of Pensions in Island will in charge of administering pensions for 15,000 people and maybe a dozen staff, while the equivalent in the UK will be responsible for 12 million pensions and thousands of staff.

We don't expect the manager of a small local supermarket to be paid anything like the same as the CEO of Tesco, but those at the top of our civil service seem to think they are entitled to almost as much as their UK counterparts. - and possibly more than their equivalents in devolved administrations such as Scotland, despite those countries being so much bigger.

But CEOs in the UK dealing with massive numbers will have many, many managers below them to take the strain. The job is the same no matter where it is. 
I would rather see a top civil servant earning £100,000 plus per annum than a local charity leader getting that sum.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I would rather see a top civil servant earning £100,000 plus per annum than a local charity leader getting that sum.

I am going to regret this I know,,,, but who on earth is getting £100,000 for running a charity on the island?

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Its a fair point and its an economy of scale the Isle of Man doesn't have. I can say though that a national department head in the UK Civil Service will earn significantly more than £150k. It doesn't scale directly I agree but if it did a senior CS here would only get about £5k pa which obviously would not work