Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

5 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

would we?

Genuine question, how do you know we would?

We wouldn't. Dr Glover said that she would have been able to find out the results within two days and they would have known before the press conference. Two days I believe she mentioned was her lead time on it.

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

We wouldn't. Dr Glover said that she would have been able to find out the results within two days and they would have known before the press conference. Two days I believe she mentioned was her lead time on it.

My understanding of it was Dr Glover would’ve have had the results of the positive case returned a lot quicker and as such the contract tracing would’ve happened a lot sooner? That’s certainly what her tweet appeared to suggest.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:42 PM, Non-Believer said:

I don't know if we'd be further ahead. But I do think that our Govt. would have been in receipt of some authoritative, credible and above all else, qualified input into the subject matter. Which may have influenced some decisions.

But that is anaethema to the "tailor the facts to suit the policy" of the IoM CS culture across the board. None of whom have Dr Glover's credentials in the matter.

I find Dr. Glover's new suggestions that a longer incubation period may be part of an increased transmissibility very interesting. Is anybody else in our public service qualified or knowledgeable enough to comment on this?

No they are not the only person who has that knowledge is you guessed who

13 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

would we?

Genuine question, how do you know we would?

Dr Glover was talking in her blog post the other day that she actually had the kit for doing the genomics in her rucksack every day back in March.

Whereas at the moment, I think we're probably at the mercy of Postman Pat and PHE labs which will be understandably rammed.

• Like 3

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Dr Glover was talking in her blog post the other day that she actually had the kit for doing the genomics in her rucksack every day back in March.

Whereas at the moment, I think we're probably at the mercy of Postman Pat and PHE labs which will be understandably rammed.

Government and CS. should put their differences aside for the benefit of the whole island and get Rachel back on board. 
Their actions and behavior towards her have been diabolical  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Government and CS. should put their differences aside for the benefit of the whole island and get Rachel back on board. 

I think what you really see is the difference in attitudes and environment of science vs playing politics.

Science is an incremental thing, you are constantly re-evaluating and adapting based on the data. Whether it's your own data, that of others, or feedback from peers and reviewers.

Politics on the other hand is all about optics. You have to look at what looks good, and go into things acting like you're doing the right thing. The problem is, you don't necessarily have the skill set to hold your hands up and say you did something wrong, and change based on that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, forestboy said:

I totally agree! Absolutely appalling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

If the lawyers are involved it'll be with the AG's chamber.

Excuse me but . . . fuck the lawyers. Look at what we're talking about here. We need fast and effective mediation by intelligent and empathetic people.

Ashford and Quayle are looking like babies in their nappies over this. They need to pull their dummies oot of their arses and sort this out. If they can't (they can't) then find someone who can. 

Why are the rest of Tynwald so silent on this?

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Indeed we are and they will be.  

Minster Skelly, as a prime mover of the Biomed sector you're keeping awfully quiet about all of this. Do you have anything to say to support the one company that can actually provide some assurance in the field of testing? Shouldn't you be supporting companies like Taxa Genomics?

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There's a Japanese proverb: "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down".

Look what happens if you disagree with CM and HRHMBEABC.

That's about it.,

This is an issue that affects everyone on the Island. Everyone and beyond. There is little of more importance

It's about time Ashford and Quayle were held to account to sort this out.

Maybe the other Tynwald members have their heads buried in the sand and are discussing potholes and dog poo. Oh and maybe promenades.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Politics on the other hand is all about optics. You have to look at what looks good, and go into things acting like you're doing the right thing.

If their political objective is optics, they've failed miserably. The whole debacle looks like a shit-show and stinks accordingly. 

I'm also wondering where the other MHKs are and why they're not holding the gruesome twosome to account. It's maddening.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think what you really see is the difference in attitudes and environment of science vs playing politics.

Science is an incremental thing, you are constantly re-evaluating and adapting based on the data. Whether it's your own data, that of others, or feedback from peers and reviewers.

Politics on the other hand is all about optics. You have to look at what looks good, and go into things acting like you're doing the right thing. The problem is, you don't necessarily have the skill set to hold your hands up and say you did something wrong, and change based on that.

I agree, and I know Howard and Ashie are taking the flack for this but I can't help feeling that their hands are being guided and tied by their CS masters?

I don't know Rachel, I do like the way she is open and honest about her dealings with government but I have an inkling that this is what has soured the relationship? If someone in government employ or under contract is making public statements about their work, it can backfire on them both in the event of problems or misunderstandings. This would be the same even within a private company but even more so in government, where egos are fragile and incompetence needs covering up by having control over every aspect of everything. 

• Like 3