Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

13 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

......very much a Civil Servant who will carry out the will of their political masters

You mean there is one? And not the other way round?

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:29 PM, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Have you never heard the term whistle-blowing? Dr G. tried every avenue and was well aware of what was at risk on her island. She isn't doing this for publicity, she's been offered far better gigs than helping out testing for COVID on a small island. But she wants to put her neck out, for the good of the island. It's a pandemic, we don't have time for cricket.

We are currently in a situation that could have plausibly been avoided, if the calls for testing had been listened to months ago.

The outbreak on the island is actively impacting upon people's health, both mental and physical. It's stopping people from being able to work, to put food on the table for their kids, to look after granny, and to keep the lights of their businesses on. There is also a credible risk to life, and the ongoing vaccination program, as HQ and DA often like to remind us.

The Island is in a very fortunate position to have resources on the island that would actively, and arguably, uniquely for the size of the island, give us an insight into how best to trace and mitigate against the ongoing outbreak. From a quick look, I don't think this is something either Jersey or Guernsey have at their disposal. The Isle of Wight have taken to military helicopters evacuating patients to hospitals able to treat them.

Everywhere is different, and I doubt there is a better opportunity for us, or the rest of the world fighting against COVID to understand how, why, where and when this virus spreads. It's a damn shame that that's going to waste because of politics.

Well said AC :) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Possibly panic over Guernsey position?

Good point. The IoM needs to understand more about that before any preening at a press conference.

I would respectfully suggest our leaders discuss with Guernsey their border controls and testing which is far advanced and more stringent than our own. That said, I see the irony in that statement, considering the situation.

I wish all the very best to Guernsey. Let's all learn from each other.

Edited by Barlow

22 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In yesterdays figures it stated 114 people awaiting results. This seems a bit higher than usual to me. I dont follow them wvery day though. I thought usually its about 10 or 15.  

you're right, a scroll back through Gef's graphics show that is abnormally high. Sunday figures?

22 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

you're right, a scroll back through Gef's graphics show that is abnormally high. Sunday figures?

I've noticed this before with Gef's figures.

The Mongoose can yap, but not too good when it comes to maths I fear.

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

So just for clarity, I wonder, how much influence our Director of Public Health, Dr Henrietta Ewart, had over this matter?

Rachel's always made it clear that the problem was with DHSC management and Public Health has been in the Cabinet Office since last April.  And we know that, at least up to October, Ewart was being ignored as well.  She also made a big thing this week about the usefulness of genomics after Ashford and Quayle had dismissed them, so I suspect the answer is 'none'.

• Thanks 1