Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

I get it @wrighty and @Gladys but using some simple logic

Where did our first covid case come from? Travel.

When we locked down in Jan where did the covid come from? Travel.

The source of the current lockdown and Kent variant? Travel.

It therefore screams at me that on a common sense basis, you don't travel unless absolutely necessary. Everyone has a reason for wanting to travel. Mostly these are pretty good reasons too. People are however making difficult sacrifices by choosing not to travel - notwithstanding that they are free to do so.

This woman picking up a dog is IMHO selfish. Josem's tried tweeting about it to garner anto-gov feelings and its backfired on him for this very reason.

Covid got out not from travel per se, but because the rules around travel/quarantine/isolation etc were either wrong, or weren’t followed correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I stay in my home and only go to the shop twice a week and always wear a mask. 

I know the rules and could quite easily buck the spirit of the lockdown and the emergency regulations, go to the shop every day and walk for an hour or two, not wear a mask. Yeah, the rules can't stop me doing that. Maybe all 85,000 of us should do that eh.

Me, me, me.

3 hours ago, piebaps said:

The source of the current lockdown and Kent variant? Travel.

Well only in so far as all cases contracted by Steam Packet staff seem to have been classified as 'travel-related'.  Certainly the index case was.

Which in a sense they are, but not in the way that those words are normally used - ie returning travellers.  By the same logic all cases on the Island are travel-related.  Just as they are China-related or bat-related.  Government communications have used the phrase as a way of avoiding responsibility.

Now unless you're going to ban all travel to the Island, passenger and freight, there is always going to be some risk from and to transport workers and the onus is on government to implement measures to minimise that and react speedily when such measures fail.  Instead they seem to have done very little (no regular testing for example) and then tried to blame everyone else when the  strategy failed.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Now unless you're going to ban all travel to the Island, passenger and freight, there is always going to be some risk from and to transport workers and the onus is on government to implement measures to minimise that and react speedily when such measures fail.  Instead they seem to have done very little (no regular testing for example) and then tried to blame everyone else when the  strategy failed.

For a while the IOMG pretended that it was leading the world in how to effectively manage Covid. No more! They left the proverbial back door, the SPC, well and truly open and unsupervised. Consequently, Covid slipped silently past their defences, back into our lives and sent us back into lockdown.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, code99 said:

For a while the IOMG pretended that it was leading the world in how to effectively manage Covid. No more! They left the proverbial back door, the SPC, well and truly open and unsupervised. Consequently, Covid slipped silently past their defences, back into our lives and sent us back into lockdown.

Summoned up perfectly code99.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, code99 said:

For a while the IOMG pretended that it was leading the world in how to effectively manage Covid. 

Whilst the Government was feted by worldwide media there was never any pretence from the IOM Government that it was leading the world.

During that time, rather than indulge in any sort of boasting or self congratulation the CM was very measured and modest in interviews, for example quoting our inbuilt advantage by geography and population size.

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Whilst the Government was feted by worldwide media there was never any pretence from the IOM Government that it was leading the world.

During that time, rather than indulge in any sort of boasting or self congratulation the CM was very measured and modest in interviews, for example quoting our inbuilt advantage by geography and population size.

Code99 has written a condensed summary, a precis.

And as such it is spot on.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He/they could have been really modest and turned down any interviews. That would have been the sensible thing to do.

Sometimes, less is more. Knowing which PR MO to use and when to apply it takes a certain skill. The CO have lots of PR people but it seems they don't really understand how to use it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I still find it hard to believe that at the start of this there was no meeting between IOMG and the SPCo to thrash out robust SOPs that achieved the task while keeping passengers and crew safe.

If you ever wanted to guarantee there would be no joined-up thinking IOMG have absolutely nailed it....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I still find it hard to believe that at the start of this there was no meeting between IOMG and the SPCo to thrash out robust SOPs that achieved the task while keeping passengers and crew safe.

If you ever wanted to guarantee there would be no joined-up thinking IOMG have absolutely nailed it....

There probably were meetings, or at least discussions.  The problem is whether the right people were participating.  I have posted before that rule writers are not necessarily the best people to check and test compliance. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The direction notices have been published as part of an FOI. Its reply number 1688549. The first one in March 2020 is supposed to have been for all workers but the wording of the notice itself implies that it only applies to non-residents. This is a recurring theme until the last one on 25.02.21.

Sorry I can't link to FOI and the file is over the limit for posting on here as an attachment. The FOI is called Steam Packet Direction Notices and was dated 23.03.21. https://services.gov.im/freedom-of-information/search

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

May I just ask. Are you actually paid by the government to spend a huge portion of your day on MF supporting the government? Or are you just a contrary twat?

Either way, you’re consistently consistent. 

May I just ask. Do you believe the IOMG pretended it was leading the world in the prevention of COVID?. And if so how?