Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Are there still legal issues outstanding ?

Reason I ask is in relation to the DHSC legal costs announced today. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-spends-more-than-2m-on-legal-advice/

This new article is new but the data itself was published last week as a response to a Keys question https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/k210126 Early Written Answers.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I see there are some Employment Tribunal sessions heading the DHSC's way. Are all the Managers involved though still in their roles? I that where the legal costs are coming from ?

23 hours ago, Apple said:

Are there still legal issues outstanding ?

Reason I ask is in relation to the DHSC legal costs announced today. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/govt-spends-more-than-2m-on-legal-advice/

Which advocates are getting all IoMGov/taxpayers money these days?

On the Isle of Man the cabal of advocates have a tacit agreement between themselves, especially in civil litigation of "you pluck this goose, I'll pluck the other".  ]

But when it comes to Government it is a case of getting THE GOLDEN GOOSE.

The names of individuals, Businesses, Companies and any advocates are named in the published judgements after the cases are determined.

Other than trawl through them then I am not aware where it is possible to find them.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

I see there are some Employment Tribunal sessions heading the DHSC's way. Are all the Managers involved though still in their roles? I that where the legal costs are coming from ?

I think its just that its a big Department. The fees are likely to cover defence of various compo claims, from unhappy staff to medical negligence and anything in between. The Employment Tribunal awards are only fairly modest (although the Tinwell case could be bigger) and you don't always see advocates involved. The big fees are more likely linked to compo claims.

27 minutes ago, Apple said:

The names of individuals, Businesses, Companies and any advocates are named in the published judgements after the cases are determined.

Other than trawl through them then I am not aware where it is possible to find them.

Tip of the iceberg.

There's plenty of 'advice' and letters to be writ and general this and that to do at £500 or whatever an hour.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

some Employment Tribunal sessions heading the DHSC's way

I saw Malcolm Couch's name somewhere within the documentation. According to his LinkedIn account he is no longer using the title of "Doctor". Claiming some kind of title is probably the kind of thing that impresses some sections of the gov.

His c.v. states that he is "A person who loves and is at ease with meeting people at all levels, both at work and in the community". In my brief encounter with him he proved to be the most insulting, ignorant, person I have met. Maybe that is par for the course for DHSC management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

In my brief encounter with him he proved to be the most insulting, ignorant, person I have met.

I'm afraid I am inclined to agree and I cannot see why he was given the role - unless it was to purely curb the "medical mafia"  that was rumoured to be running Nobles at that time. Iirc he was either the 5 th or 6 th choice.

Still really don't know why he and his deputy had to go so suddenly. It couldn't have just been about that Wigan copying report thing was it. ? 

13 hours ago, Apple said:

I'm afraid I am inclined to agree and I cannot see why he was given the role - unless it was to purely curb the "medical mafia"  that was rumoured to be running Nobles at that time. Iirc he was either the 5 th or 6 th choice.

Still really don't know why he and his deputy had to go so suddenly. It couldn't have just been about that Wigan copying report thing was it. ? 

The Tinwell tribunal case doesn't paint a positive picture.

I met him a few times and he came across well to me. I know he had a reputation for not suffering fools so maybe that's where two-lane fell down:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, piebaps said:

The Tinwell tribunal case doesn't paint a positive picture.

I'm afraid that sounds just about right. Presumably if some people are no longer in their roles that they were at the time then they can not give evidence.

I hear also we have a new Consultant locum Psychiatrist and Dr Hudson has moved on. I wish her well.

Edited by Apple

21 hours ago, Apple said:

I cannot see why he was given the role ...Iirc he was either the 5 th or 6 th choice.

At the time of Couch’s appointment (after Mark Charters hurried departure) the government gossip was that he was moved out of Treasury because of the poisonous state of his relationship with Eddie Teare (who was by then Treasury Minister having previously been in health himself of course). I don’t think there were any other choices to render Couch ‘5th or 6th’.

3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

At the time of Couch’s appointment (after Mark Charters hurried departure) the government gossip was that he was moved out of Treasury because of the poisonous state of his relationship with Eddie Teare (who was by then Treasury Minister having previously been in health himself of course). I don’t think there were any other choices to render Couch ‘5th or 6th’.

I always understood the reason he moved after Charters going was to try and sort out the financial mess in health . Had that from a very good source but happy to be corrected . 

• Thanks 1

The direction of this topic just reinforces what I was told about the problems of the DHSC and the hospital ! As I have posted previously, towards the top of the organisational tree is / was a very nasty cabal of people who are resistant, if not impossible to change ! It would certainly be consistent with where we are, and the wholesale changes are still not happening !

11 minutes ago, asitis said:

The direction of this topic just reinforces what I was told about the problems of the DHSC and the hospital ! As I have posted previously, towards the top of the organisational tree is / was a very nasty cabal of people who are resistant, if not impossible to change ! It would certainly be consistent with where we are, and the wholesale changes are still not happening !

I think that's pretty much spot on. 

Based on what I was told just before the last lockdown the plan within Comin is to fold DHSC once Manx Care is established and running. The welfare side of DHSC will  be split out to a new department replacing the current DHSC. It seems to be the only way Comin can have a clear out 

• Sad 1