Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, asitis said:

The direction of this topic just reinforces what I was told about the problems of the DHSC and the hospital ! As I have posted previously, towards the top of the organisational tree is / was a very nasty cabal of people who are resistant, if not impossible to change ! It would certainly be consistent with where we are, and the wholesale changes are still not happening !

Are you suggesting that, despite seemingly many and frequent personnel changes in senior positions, the cabal remains intact and functioning? I’ve previously posed the question (not necessarily to you, can’t recall) whether the cabal members are drawn from the 9 most senior people in the Department (all women) as identified in the recent annual report. If not, how are individuals further down the food chain exercising such malign influence? It’s always been suggested that these ‘nasty’ people are managerial in nature. Are they in fact clinicians?

9 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Are you suggesting that, despite seemingly many and frequent personnel changes in senior positions, the cabal remains intact and functioning? I’ve previously posed the question (not necessarily to you, can’t recall) whether the cabal members are drawn from the 9 most senior people in the Department (all women) as identified in the recent annual report. If not, how are individuals further down the food chain exercising such malign influence? It’s always been suggested that these ‘nasty’ people are managerial in nature. Are they in fact clinicians?

I have no idea, except to say the person who explained the problem to me did know !! They were very discrete due to the fact they do know !!

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

I think that's pretty much spot on. 

Based on what I was told just before the last lockdown the plan within Comin is to fold DHSC once Manx Care is established and running. The welfare side of DHSC will  be split out to a new department replacing the current DHSC. It seems to be the only way Comin can have a clear out 

Given that medical and care services are to be integrated under Manx Care and the Department to be a commissioning and regulatory body it wouldn’t make any sense to divide the commissioning function.

Maybe its a different interpretation of welfare?

But welfare in terms of benefits and pensions was hived off to Treasury about a decade ago.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Given that medical and care services are to be integrated under Manx Care and the Department to be a commissioning and regulatory body it wouldn’t make any sense to divide the commissioning function.

Maybe its a different interpretation of welfare?

But welfare in terms of benefits and pensions was hived off to Treasury about a decade ago.

Welfare as in standards monitoring etc. 

5 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’ve previously posed the question (not necessarily to you, can’t recall) whether the cabal members are drawn from the 9 most senior people in the Department (all women) as identified in the recent annual report. If not, how are individuals further down the food chain exercising such malign influence? It’s always been suggested that these ‘nasty’ people are managerial in nature. Are they in fact clinicians?

Have an organagram, which sounds like something on special offer from Ann Summers, but is just an organisation chart, probably edited to remove any useful information:

image.png.48babf592b2104cfb2e1a3b8f2f99471.png

Many of these are newish and I suspect that the real problem lies below this layer among the longer-serving middle management.  Of course even having a middle management for such a small place may be a lot of the problem[1].

Again the real problem is the cultural one in the Manx Civil Service where no one can ever be sacked for just being bad at their job, so ever-more frequent reorganisations are invented, which end up making things worse.

[1]  This isn't unique to the isle of Man.  A recent EU survey found: "The incidence of establishments with four or more hierarchical levels is highest in Malta (36%) and Cyprus (28%)" rather than in larger countries where you would expect to find bigger organisation and so more elaborate hierarchies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Are they in fact clinicians?..............Some of them like to think they are...

You describe the situation well, but things this week seem to indicate the wind is changing. Theresa Cope is the new name on the block and is effectively in charge of all things operational now. I hear it is apparent that some do not like having their crown taken away and are not happy to give up the reins completely yet.

I am told that by people who know that political infighting very much in evidence and that staff can't wait until everything is sorted because no-one knows who is in charge anymore. The leadership at the moment seems confused and some report that a little game playing is afoot.

More fun to come.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Many of these are newish and I suspect that the real problem lies below this layer among the longer-serving middle management. 

Sorry Roger but totally not the case. For me that is exactly where the problems arise.

The organogram will be out of date when Brayshaw and Quilliam leave soon but the role of Executive Director of Nursing on £120k has been advertised.

Never a truly wholehearted supporter of Manx Care I have come round to the view that things can only get better when those on the chart  apart from Henriette and the Medical Director for one reason or another step down as part of the transition process. 

Remind me again, why did the complaints manager get a gong and how did everyone feel about that?

Edited by Apple
added the end bit.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Have an organagram, which sounds like something on special offer from Ann Summers, but is just an organisation chart, probably edited to remove any useful information:

image.png.48babf592b2104cfb2e1a3b8f2f99471.png

Many of these are newish and I suspect that the real problem lies below this layer among the longer-serving middle management.  Of course even having a middle management for such a small place may be a lot of the problem[1].

Again the real problem is the cultural one in the Manx Civil Service where no one can ever be sacked for just being bad at their job, so ever-more frequent reorganisations are invented, which end up making things worse.

[1]  This isn't unique to the isle of Man.  A recent EU survey found: "The incidence of establishments with four or more hierarchical levels is highest in Malta (36%) and Cyprus (28%)" rather than in larger countries where you would expect to find bigger organisation and so more elaborate hierarchies.

My initial thought on the organagram is that it is women only.  No wonder things are not as they should be.

3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

My initial thought on the organagram is that it is women only.  No wonder things are not as they should be.

It does seem a little odd that it is all women in these positions (worthy as I’m sure they are) Perhaps a case for positive discrimination here to better represent society as a whole?

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Didn't you see that coming?  :cool:

As soon as the organogram (a word I'd never heard before and that I already hate) went up it was just a matter of time. If hissingsid was around it would probably have been him, but it's not a surprise that the fuckwit said it. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It does seem a little odd that it is all women in these positions (worthy as I’m sure they are) Perhaps a case for positive discrimination here to better represent society as a whole?

I'm a firm believer in the best man for the job, but not sure what's gone wrong here, the time lost talking about the price of fish, babies and 'those lazy bloody men' will be immense! 

**Disclaimer**

I'm joking!

• Haha 1