Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

Interesting blog post from @rachomics concerning the true costing of testing, which she works out to be around £17 each, probably less.   Obviously, as someone running a commercial lab, it's the sort of calculation she has to do all the time, though she points out that the NHS should be able to do a lot of this cheaper still.

I'd add that, she is also underestimating the numbers taking tests at the moment as being 60 plus 20 rapid tests (which she doesn't include in the costing).  In fact the current 7 day average is around 140 - and that is the lowest it has been all year.  So she probably should be using 120 not 60 as the number of swab tests.  This affects the costings because a lot of this is fixed costs, so the per test true cost will be even lower than she says.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, Barlow said:

One of the MF dos? Certainly the other Mr Wright was there. Perhaps you were not there? Railway.

you were both in the same room at the railway for sure

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

So she probably should be using 120 not 60 as the number of swab tests.  This affects the costings because a lot of this is fixed costs, so the per test true cost will be even lower than she says.

As you say they are interesting things to consider, and at first glance there seems to be a discrepancy.

However I am not sure about your statement that a lot of the costs included are fixed costs. None of the costs Dr Glover has included appear to be fixed costs. Things like staff costs cannot be considered as fixed because clearly it takes more staff to take and process 120 tests than 60 tests. The other costs included appear to be mainly consumables, which will vary according to the number of tests.

Fixed costs would be things like the appropriate proportion of the costs of owning and managing the buildings required to run the operations, the cost of insuring the buildings, cleaning costs, heating and lighting costs, the cost of servicing and maintaining equipment etc. etc., none of which are included.

The calculations also don't include other non-fixed costs such as NI contributions, employers pension contributions, the cost of community swabbing in peoples homes, the 111 costs associated with booking tests and supplying results etc., which all add to the cost of providing a service. It is teasing out and correctly calculating all of those 'hidden' costs that would make calculating a true figure time consuming. 

Also, I am not sure how valid it is to ignore the equipment costs based on the fact that a Charity has bought 2 pieces of equipment. If a charity has purchased this equipment, they have less money to spend elsewhere, so there is 'a cost'. If calculating the 'true cost' per test is considered important, equipment costs should be included.

Without there being an obvious operational benefit to knowing the exact figure per test, I can see why the government wouldn't think it was worthwhile to devote resources to calculating it.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You here, there, or somewhere else?

possibly I was looking out for an MHK I know? 

Did you believe that the Manx Forums P.K. and the (former) MHK with the same name were the same person? (I did but for a few posts only, and when PK used full name back in manx.net days)

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

One appears to be able to read and write and the other was an MHK:D

But eh by gum he could speak in that there posh house down there. Just about some times, but he could give em what for.

Good chap an' all.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 7:18 AM, Manx Bean said:

Thought I'd bring this thread to the fore, rightly or wrongly. Some interesting posts, reading it back. 

Whether it's significant or not, there is no Q&A with Moulton and Ashford as there usually is on a Sunday. Perhaps they've all gone to church to pray...

HQ: "Dear Lord..?"

The Lord (for it is He): “Yes, Howard?"

HQ: "Fastyr Mie my Lord. I am faced with an arduous task for which I am at a loss, going forward."

The Lord: "Is it the troublesome scientist?“

HQ: "Yes, my Lord, she will not be silenced!"

The Lord: "I will set thee a task, take unto thee this bucket and empty Sulby reservoir, when you have finished, silence shall prevail."

HQ: " But Father, the bucket has a hole in the bottom!"

The Lord: "Alas my son, be patient, your penance shall be rewarded, I am the word"

HQ: "As you wish, my Lord saviour."

It came to pass, one month later...

HQ: "Dear Lord?"

The Lord: "Ah, Howard, you have finished your penance, Sulby reservoir is empty, and I see you've also ridden that place of all the dog poo too, truly you shall be rewarded, go forth, all your troubles shall be at an end, I am all things to all men and the power to silence the scientist. Your wish shall be granted, Amen."

HQ: "Thankyou Lord."

The following Sunday...

HQ: "Dearest Lord?"

The Lord: "Howard, how art thou, hast thy trouble departed?"

HQ: "Er, no Lord, I was wondering..."

The Lord: "Yes Howard?"

HQ: "Can David have the bucket back..?"

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, quilp said:

Thought I'd bring this thread to the fore, rightly or wrongly. Some interesting posts, reading it back. 

Whether it's significant or not, there is no Q&A with Moulton and Ashford as there usually is on a Sunday. Perhaps they've all gone to church to pray...

HQ: "Dear Lord..?"

The Lord (for it is He): “Yes, Howard?"

HQ: "Fastyr Mie my Lord. I am faced with an arduous task for which I am at a loss, going forward."

The Lord: "Is it the troublesome scientist?“

HQ: "Yes, my Lord, she will not be silenced!"

The Lord: "I will set thee a task, take unto thee this bucket and empty Sulby reservoir, when you have finished, silence shall prevail."

HQ: " But Father, the bucket has a hole in the bottom!"

The Lord: "Alas my son, be patient, your penance shall be rewarded, I am the word"

HQ: "As you wish, my Lord saviour."

It came to pass, one month later...

HQ: "Dear Lord?"

The Lord: "Ah, Howard, you have finished your penance, Sulby reservoir is empty, and I see you've also ridden that place of all the dog poo too, truly you shall be rewarded, go forth, all your troubles shall be at an end, I am all things to all men and the power to silence the scientist. Your wish shall be granted, Amen."

HQ: "Thankyou Lord."

The following Sunday...

HQ: "Dearest Lord?"

The Lord: "Howard, how art thou, hast thy trouble departed?"

HQ: "Er, no Lord, I was wondering..."

The Lord: "Yes Howard?"

HQ: "Can David have the bucket back..?"

I thought the same.  But someone said PM is now attached to James Davis's outfit.  It will be interesting how challenging PM is in his questioning in future. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I thought the same.  But someone said PM is now attached to James Davis's outfit.  It will be interesting how challenging PM is in his questioning in future. 

Or it could just be that David Ashford is actually enjoying the weekend with his family.  As he's entitled to do.