Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yep, tried that, but my pockets and personal wellbeing were finite! 

That’s really the point I was trying to make to Voice of Reason (!) in that just because you might accept money to stop legal proceedings doesn’t mean that you aren’t 100% right with the worlds strongest case. Many really strong cases get bought out. A lawyer gave me very good advice years ago which was never sue anyone who is much more wealthy than you on a point of principle as if they choose to drag it out they can afford to write cheques that you can’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WindJammer said:

That’s really the point I was trying to make to Voice of Reason (!) in that just because you might accept money to stop legal proceedings doesn’t mean that you aren’t 100% right with the worlds strongest case. Many really strong cases get bought out. A lawyer gave me very good advice years ago which was never sue anyone who is much more wealthy than you on a point of principle as if they choose to drag it out they can afford to write cheques that you can’t. 

That is true.  Sometimes it is better to leave the battle with your principles, bank balance and wellbeing relatively in tact.

• Like 1

I do not know Dr Glover.

I have a strong suspicion she could have, should have, wanted to, assist in reducing deaths, infection rates and minimising lockdowns where possible.

I do not know the senior politicians involved.

The more I hear from them, well, the more they believe, of their own poisonous self interested waffle.

A time for change.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, quilp said:

Common practice. I've seen quite a few come and go, usually good people eventually too frustrated at not being able to make a positive difference.

Further back than Charters, the reason why it's so difficult to induce change is because of an entrenched ideology.

I beg to differ, those terms describe a great deal. I prefer 'group think' myself, and a climate of fear that keeps people in their place.

Very true. I've seen it and experienced it. There's a big problem with the plethora of 'smiling assassins' in middle-management. I think RG has unwittingly been a victim of this cancel culture; too trusting on face-value.

I'd agree, but there's an insidious level of protectionism of position and self-regard.

I'd agree here also. Power and influence together. All very underhand and undermining the confidence of any challenge to the status quo is a well-used tactic.

That would really be an almost impossible task. From the coalface through to the higher echelons so many have come and gone for a variety of reasons. And there's been a considerable amount of talent and resource ignored and cast aside for all the reasons being discussed. Many departed out of sheer frustration once becoming aware of the culture. And there have been those who didn't leave and became part of the structure, using it too their advantage.

I'd say there is an understanding of what happened to Rachel and where she is coming from but much less of an inclination to do anything about it. Don't threaten the status quo by taking sides. The far-reaching consequences of alliance would make your life hell. No one wants to be cast into the wilderness by speaking their mind, this is something you learn very early on.

It's a nice thought but once again no one would want to jeopardise their position, or advancement by speaking out and projecting alliances when there's so much at stake.

Ain't gonna happen. Even if it did, the testimony of the experiences of others would carry no weight nor hold water. You cannot criticise government publicy if you're employed by them. There would be consequences. This deters employees from speaking out.

She has exposed something, but expecting Joe Public to understand just what it is she's exposed is another matter. Docile Manxies are rarely up for a challenge and the brave few who clamour for solid accountability and openness are met with little enthusiasm and there is a majority out there who appear to have a great deal of support for this administration. Whatever the outward appearance of political modernity presents, politically we're still a nation of disinterested cap-doffers and forelock-tuggers to authority, who prefer the decisions are made by someone else. 

This is not just a DHSC problem it exist's throughout every Government Department at all levels, if you question the hierarchy you will have a bumpy ride and put out to grass somewhere away from public glare and will eventually be forced out, I know several good people who have had this done and eventually they either toed the line or moved on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Good point. However I would rather they go to court so the truth comes out.

yes, the truth always comes out  when fighting against IOMG in IOMG's courts,  fuck off. I'm still splitting my sides. 😄

Edited by Pipsqueak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And of those people I talk to a minority know there is some sort of issue between what they see as a laboratory and the Government but they haven’t got a clue what it is about, nor do they care.

Thats the truth of it.

Don't be so sure, Manx folk are not as stupid as you would like to think, the proof of the pudding will be in the results of the GE. Manx folk do care about their reputation and if a little prick of a minister is disrepectful and trying to mislead the general public he will know at the ballot box, he can do all the granny farming he wants, look what happened his predessor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Can much be done about this constant denial that Genomics was/is of zero benefit to us? That is despite you explaining in layman’s terms how it all worked numerous times , you also offered to showcase your skills for free and we now have New Zealand as a running shining example?

For me that’s a lot more serious than any rights issue and ‘hypothetically’ we’ve all suffered as a result.

Like I said way, way back IOMG missed a golden opportunity to show case what IOM can do (you know..... "Where You Can") by allowing this to get as far as it did, instead of thinking of the bigger picture. They have now all but written off the Biomed sector by burying their heads in their respective silo sand.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Like I said way, way back IOMG missed a golden opportunity to show case what IOM can do (you know..... "Where You Can") by allowing this to get as far as it did, instead of thinking of the bigger picture. They have now all but written off the Biomed sector by burying their heads in their respective silo sand.

Indeed, not least by questioning the accreditation of a local player to provide services to IOMG.  From RG's evidence it would seem that the Noble's lab does not have the accreditation (ISO 17 something)  that her lab is in the process of securing. 

She also said that her lab has what is required to feed into the UK's genomics analysis on the pandemic.  So why wouldn't you use her to get the genomics quicker and still contribute to the national genomics gathering?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They have now all but written off the Biomed sector by burying their heads in their respective silo sand.

Quayle's oh-so-sage presser comment about us not having the on-Island capacity/ability won't have helped matters....

• Like 2

As mentioned above the outcome of the General Election will be interesting. If the Great Manx People (I love that phrase it is up there with "boarders" as a keeper) are so truly outraged by all of this then I fully expect that to be reflected in the outcome of the General Election. However, I suspect that it will all be forgotten at the ballot box.

• Like 1

Just now, The Duck of Atholl said:

As mentioned above the outcome of the General Election will be interesting. If the Great Manx People (I love that phrase it is up there with "boarders" as a keeper) are so truly outraged by all of this then I fully expect that to be reflected in the outcome of the General Election. However, I suspect that it will all be forgotten at the ballot box.

Forgotten about or not even cared about?

It's hard to gauge a real general opinion on things by seeing comments and opinions online, the Michael Josem defeat at the by-election is a great example of that disconnect

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

the Michael Josem defeat at the by-election is a great example of that disconnect

I'm not so sure of that. He made the fundamental mistake of aligning himself with LibVan. The political equivalent of being handcuffed to a frog.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, piebaps said:

I'm not so sure of that. He made the fundamental mistake of aligning himself with LibVan. The political equivalent of being handcuffed to a frog.

An insult to our amphibious friends everywhere

• Like 1
  • Haha 4