Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

11 minutes ago, KERED said:

Mouton's first question was ok, and I was pleased that he pressured Howie to provide a suitable answer.

However - his second question. . . "can you believe that it is 12 months since you, personally, contracted long Covid?" was pathetic!

What sort of question is that?

I think he was asking that question because Howard has still lost his ability to smell the bullshit from his Ministers.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I think he was asking that question because Howard has still lost his ability to smell the bullshit from his Ministers.

He is still suffering from a lack of taste, others would say a lack of discernment.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Quayle. One minute saying he had met RG once then saying he hadn’t. Reminds me of St Peter. Mind you wouldn’t put it past Kered. Do you think his real name is Derek?

OMG, TVOR!. .. . . . please don't blow my cover!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Quayle. One minute saying he had met RG once then saying he hadn’t. Reminds me of St Peter. Mind you wouldn’t put it past Kered. Do you think his real name is Derek?

I’ve just never seen you insult HQ, so it came as something of a shock. Kered is almost certainly a Derek.

What is surprising is that DA and HQ seem totally unprepared to respond to the evidence given by RG.  Surely they had half a clue and would have been ready with a rebuttal in pretty short order after the PAC hearing?    Presumably, they are aware of the correspondence,  including the letters before action, and would have already determined what their response would be.

HQ distancing himself, and DA saying he gave everyone the weekend off.  They must have known well before last Thursday what their position is on every point made, surely?  

If they were confident and firm in their position, a short statement could have been issued within hours of the hearing. 

It is not only worrying that the circumstances arose in the first place, but that they were unable or unwilling to negotiate an 'everyone's a winner' outcome long before last Thursday.  

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve just never seen you insult HQ, so it came as something of a shock. Kered is almost certainly a Derek.

It was a bit tongue in cheek as in that HQ obviously forgot in his second statement that he had met RG on one social occasion. 
His forgetfulness (of which we can all be guilty on some occasion) is neither here nor there in the context of this debate.

48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What is surprising is that DA and HQ seem totally unprepared to respond to the evidence given by RG.  Surely they had half a clue and would have been ready with a rebuttal in pretty short order after the PAC hearing?    Presumably, they are aware of the correspondence,  including the letters before action, and would have already determined what their response would be.

HQ distancing himself, and DA saying he gave everyone the weekend off.  They must have known well before last Thursday what their position is on every point made, surely?  

If they were confident and firm in their position, a short statement could have been issued within hours of the hearing. 

It is not only worrying that the circumstances arose in the first place, but that they were unable or unwilling to negotiate an 'everyone's a winner' outcome long before last Thursday.  

It’s almost as if HQ, DA and their advisers aren’t terribly good at managing things isn’t it. Remarkable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It’s almost as if HQ, DA and their advisers aren’t terribly good at managing things isn’t it. Remarkable.

Indeed, you would think it would be managed as there is an awful lot of other stuff going on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I have listened to  it , I wouldn’t of commented if I hadn’t .

RG did a very selfless thing in helping , which I think many people are grateful including myself.

But I know she has stated that she was bank staff . Bank staff choose their hours , and she then goes on to say she resigned because she wanted to be an outside contractor , so she can do her own work  in her company. So I’m not understanding the difference in how much work she wanted to do with DHSS , as she could of done what she wanted doing bank work . The only difference with an outside contractor she could of charged more for her services and I’m not suggesting  that’s what she wanted to do. As I don’t think that .

from the coding theft allegation , she knew at that point that (if true )  government were struggling to provide testing with her resigning and wanting the robot back and being a clever lady she must of  known how hard that would be to put in place , as she already stated it happened at the start of the pandemic. So with her thinking she was badly thought off by government or managers  , she actually hurt the islands people . She was either doing what she had done at the start for the good of the people or for the good of government or her status in my view . 

She agreed to be paid as bank staff because that worked out to be the easiest and quickest way to organise things and to pay her in the middle of a crisis.  But she wasn't exactly able to pick her own hours because of that crisis - she was having to work all possible hours just to keep things going.  Effectively they were getting a full time professional contractor at much lower bank rates.

Once the crisis lessened during the Summer, she obviously wanted to regularise things and to put the Path Lab Covid testing on a more professional basis, less dependent on her personally and the equipment they had borrowed for free from her company.  The DHSC seem to have failed pretty much completely, taking ages to order a replacement robot and unable to set up their own supply of reagents.  She seems to have done her best to train up existing staff, but I get the impression that there may not have been enough extra people recruited of the right calibre (or at all) to make up the manpower gap so she could get back to her own business.

As I've said before this is the pattern we have seen consistently from the Manx Government - leaving things to last minute and then expecting everyone else to do whatever they demand.  It's the sort of behaviour you might expect from a spoilt small child, not from very well paid managers supposed to be professionally competent.

As for the coding theft, the point she is making is that the DHSC and its lawyers in the AG's Office are simultaneously claiming that:

(a)  The code was written by them anyway

(b)  Her removing her code meant that they couldn't operate the testing

(c) They had back-up copies

(d) They had to get the manufacturers to supply new code

(e) Two of their own staff spent weeks writing the new code

(There may have been more, but I lost the will to live at this point)

It's not just that these things are demonstrably all untrue - she has old copy of the code on GitHub; testing didn't stop last year when they claim it was forced to - it's that these accusations all contradict each other.  They're just making up random shit and throwing it without caring if it makes sense. 

And it all could have been avoided by a simple licencing agreement.  As ever they seem obsessed with 'saving' tiny amounts of money while carrying out actions (or not doing so when they should) things that cost enormous sums.  Penny wise and pound foolish seems to be the motto.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

She agreed to be paid as bank staff because that worked out to be the easiest and quickest way to organise things and to pay her in the middle of a crisis.  But she wasn't exactly able to pick her own hours because of that crisis - she was having to work all possible hours just to keep things going.  Effectively they were getting a full time professional contractor at much lower bank rates.

Once the crisis lessened during the Summer, she obviously wanted to regularise things and to put the Path Lab Covid testing on a more professional basis, less dependent on her personally and the equipment they had borrowed for free from her company.  The DHSC seem to have failed pretty much completely, taking ages to order a replacement robot and unable to set up their own supply of reagents.  She seems to have done her best to train up existing staff, but I get the impression that there may not have been enough extra people recruited of the right calibre (or at all) to make up the manpower gap so she could get back to her own business.

As I've said before this is the pattern we have seen consistently from the Manx Government - leaving things to last minute and then expecting everyone else to do whatever they demand.  It's the sort of behaviour you might expect from a spoilt small child, not from very well paid managers supposed to be professionally competent.

As for the coding theft, the point she is making is that the DHSC and its lawyers in the AG's Office are simultaneously claiming that:

(a)  The code was written by them anyway

(b)  Her removing her code meant that they couldn't operate the testing

(c) They had back-up copies

(d) They had to get the manufacturers to supply new code

(e) Two of their own staff spent weeks writing the new code

(There may have been more, but I lost the will to live at this point)

It's not just that these things are demonstrably all untrue - she has old copy of the code on GitHub; testing didn't stop last year when they claim it was forced to - it's that these accusations all contradict each other.  They're just making up random shit and throwing it without caring if it makes sense. 

And it all could have been avoided by a simple licencing agreement.  As ever they seem obsessed with 'saving' tiny amounts of money while carrying out actions (or not doing so when they should) things that cost enormous sums.  Penny wise and pound foolish seems to be the motto.

Many years ago I knew a charming Jewish girl in London called Penny Wise.