Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

10 minutes ago, WindJammer said:

She seems to have tried to deal with the issue nicely via a request for a for,al licensing agreement and basically got blown out / ignored. 

I have an idea that I read somewhere that somehow someone had tried to involve the Police in something related to a contract and / or intellectual property - which obviously (surely) wouldn't be a Police thing.

Where did that bit of the story come from - was that misreported or am I misremembering?

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

I have an idea that I read somewhere that somehow someone had tried to involve the Police in something related to a contract and / or intellectual property - which obviously (surely) wouldn't be a Police thing.

Where did that bit of the story come from - was that misreported or am I misremembering?

Breach of copyright is capable of being an offence these days. 

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

No, RG said in the PAC that she had reported the theft of her software to the police.  They didn't do anything.  I suppose the don't investigate all crime. 😏

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

No, RG said in the PAC that she had reported the theft of her software to the police.  They didn't do anything.  I suppose the don't investigate all crime. 😏

Selective it the term you were looking for.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

That’s already been covered, it escalated to that stage, it didn’t happen overnight, again that’s how things have been portrayed.

20 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

She stated she wasn’t bothered about  money ,she was doing it to help .  So why the urgency to be paid and not draw up a proper contract as a business woman ? I’m not saying who is right or who is wrong and like I said . She did a fantastic thing for the island . But I’m not a hundred per cent sure if it’s not more about she wanted to take the lead more than anything and when she wasn’t,  she didn’t like it and then things fell apart . 

If you listened to what she said, you'll have heard that the demand to regularise her position and pay her came from the Department not from herself.  She offered them the choice of being paid as bank staff or being a contractor at her usual commercial rates.  The latter would have been much more expensive, but she was happy to be paid as bank staff, so clearly money wasn't the main motivation.  A 'proper contract' would have taken longer (much longer if the behaviour of the DHSC and AG's Office in the rest of this is anything to go by) and slowed down her effort to help.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

What by calling the police ? 

If they refused to pay a licensing fee and continued to use her software without her consent or without paying for a license theres no real difference between that and someone knocking out pirate DVDs or downloads. Which is illegal. It’s a police matter is it not theft of someone else’s intellectual property rather than paying a license to use it? It seems she only called the police after all other attempts at finding a solution failed. I don’t see what the issue is really. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

BS  if that was true what about the robot wasn’t that used for free ? Give Dr Glovers due she probably should of been given more recognition for what she has done . But I’m sure the whole island knew and know. 
every single person has done something in this pandemic and no one has looked for a pat on the back. Look around Drs Nurses swob teams the 111 teams the vaccine team the government working around the clock to try and keep everyone safe . All I’m hearing inow from Dr Glover is when something goes wrong . I told you so . So she should state what it is what she is wanting from all of this .

Bloody hell!. A bit of balance in this feeding frenzy of hate, ignorance and paranoia. (apart from me of course).

14 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

If it comes out to be true that Dr Glovers coding was stolen . All tax payers should pay and the government should make a briefing stating they are sorry and that they should of stopped testing and waited until they set up their own coding. Where hundreds could of ended up in hospital and dying.

You’re being deliberately obtuse. They were offered a license to continue using the code. They were not told to stop using it straight off and so no delays would ever have happened. According to her response allegedly they then chose not to pay for a license for whatever reason which then prompted the retrieval. If you don’t understand what intellectual property theft is then this may act as a reminder. Using unlicensed software without permission is no different to illegal downloads or DVDs.

Edited by WindJammer
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

it appears she actually just wanted things to be done in a more professional manner rather than the initial quick fix that was put in place but they refused to put anything in place, leaving her with no option than to leave.

It appears she wanted to run the show. Sure she has plenty of expertise, knows her stuff etc, etc, I think we all know that by now, but she should not be able to dictate operational procedures.

• Like 1