Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

If the Government took up my offer they'd have to send both samples and the anonymised COG-UK genomic sequence accessions for me to link them up. Not much point having one without the other. 

What do you mean by "extremely good PR". PR for what? Which of the products my company sells (which aren't linked to or talked about on my Twitter) are the great manx public going to be compelled to purchase after an offer like that?

I would suggest you perhaps be a little less cynical and understand that when you pass someone having a heart attack in the street, you offer to help, you don't walk past. You certainly don't expect people to say "he's only offering to do those chest compressions because it'll be good PR". 

Why not keep quiet about it and just make the offer? 

• Like 1

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

Yes, because backing government  into a corner really works, right?

It just fucking stupid.  Could easily have has a casual chat or email under the radar.  Done the job.  Publicly thanked for it.

Instead, this clusterfuck of ego driven nonsense. 

You're right, it isnt rocket science.

Oh dear.

You seem to have completely missed the point that the government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens. Hard to believe after the shenanigans of Thatcher and Bozo Johnson but it's true. Various CM's haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either....

Anyway Dr Rachel should not have to force Tynpotwald into a corner to give the GMP the benefits of her operation. But looking at the history it would appear that it's the only option left.

The question the GMP should be asking themselves is how has it come to this?

As Dr Rachel has offered her services free, gratis and for nothing at this difficult time in order to fulfill their duty to the GMP certain organisations need to swallow their pride and just go with the flow and never mind the quinciquonces.

Bet they don't though - to the detriment of all....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, forestboy said:

If the offer is not taken up then what?

14 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Well no harm in going public at that stage?

Well, that would involve public health/DHSC/CoMin/whoever actually saying "sorry, we don't want to use your services, thanks very much for the offer, here's why we won't use you". 

I've quietly sent emails and I've sometimes backed that up with a public tweet to try and get a response. All I get is radio silence. No refusal of our expertise, no acceptance our expertise, no acknowledgement that we even sent an offer. At least if it's simultaneously public the people who makes these decisions (for the good of the Isle of Man) might have to answer a question some day as to why they ignored the offer.

Radio silence just means that they can try to say "sorry, we didn't see the email, we were busy". They can't easily ignore a public offer on social media in the same way. 

At the end of the day it's about getting the right information to the contact tracing team to explain the unexplained cases as fast as possible to aid decision making. Sod all to do with Taxa's copyright. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Oh dear.

You seem to have completely missed the point that the government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens. Hard to believe after the shenanigans of Thatcher and Bozo Johnson but it's true. Various CM's haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either....

Anyway Dr Rachel should not have to force Tynpotwald into a corner to give the GMP the benefits of her operation. But looking at the history it would appear that it's the only option left.

The question the GMP should be asking themselves is how has it come to this?

As Dr Rachel has offered her services free, gratis and for nothing at this difficult time in order to fulfill their duty to the GMP certain organisations need to swallow their pride and just go with the flow and never mind the quinciquonces.

Bet they don't though - to the detriment of all....

I'm not sure what you are "oh dear" about.  Bizarre.  I see your trolling hasn't ceased during your ban.

It isn't about cost. Or whether it's a good deed etc.

Have you actually been following what has been happening between Rachael and the government?

I think it's great she can and would do it.  But it is quite clear that if you go about it in the same manner that has inflamed things before ( i.e social media) how would you expect a different outcome?

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

Well, that would involve public health/DHSC/CoMin/whoever actually saying "sorry, we don't want to use your services, thanks very much for the offer, here's why we won't use you". 

I've quietly sent emails and I've sometimes backed that up with a public tweet to try and get a response. All I get is radio silence. No refusal of our expertise, no acceptance our expertise, no acknowledgement that we even sent an offer. At least if it's simultaneously public the people who makes these decisions (for the good of the Isle of Man) might have to answer a question some day as to why they ignored the offer.

Radio silence just means that they can try to say "sorry, we didn't see the email, we were busy". They can't easily ignore a public offer on social media in the same way. 

If you had emailed them this offer and there is radio silence or ignorance etc then I agree with what you are saying.

If twitter is essentially the first port of call (or the simultaneous port of call) then I disagree with that approach.

Given that this has broken out today it wouldn't appear you've given them long at all to respond?

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

I'm not sure what you are "oh dear" about.  Bizarre.  I see your trolling hasn't ceased during your ban.

It isn't about cost. Or whether it's a good deed etc.

Have you actually been following what has been happening between Rachael and the government?

I think it's great she can and would do it.  But it is quite clear that if you go about it in the same manner that has inflamed things before ( i.e social media) how would you expect a different outcome?

You funny.

What ban is that...?

Yes I have been following the diatribe between Dr Racheal and the various IOMG players and clearly a lot more closely than you have as certain nuances seem to have completely passed you by....

Wait and see mode.

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

If you had emailed them this offer and there is radio silence or ignorance etc then I agree with what you are saying.

If twitter is essentially the first port of call (or the simultaneous port of call) then I disagree with that approach.

Given that this has broken out today it wouldn't appear you've given them long at all to respond?

I sent a quiet email four weeks ago to Henrietta Ewart, David Ashford and Howard Quayle. Was that all over twitter, facebook and the like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, rachomics said:

They will have reached a decision not to use you for what is the equivalent of a commercial decision, and have no obligation whatsoever to disclose the reason behind it.

If you go for a job interview and don’t get the job do you expect to receive a detailed account of why you weren’t considered the most suitable option for the position?

Why so petulant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They will have reached a decision not to use you for what is the equivalent of a commercial decision, and have no obligation whatsoever to disclose the reason behind it.

If you go for a job interview and don’t get the job do you expect to receive a detailed account of why you weren’t considered the most suitable option for the position?

Why so petulant?

Fair enough if it actually was a job interview or a commercial decision but it's not. They are yet to even acknowledge the receipt of any email of mine offering free sequencing and bioinformatics expertise. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Fair enough if it actually was a job interview or a commercial decision but it's not. They are yet to even acknowledge the receipt of any email of mine offering free sequencing and bioinformatics expertise. 

Well then that is a bit rude I agree.

A polite refusal would have been in order.

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why so petulant?

Forgive me but this 'commercial decision' involves no financial cost to IOM gov ,   the cost could well be the lives of residents and the loss of revenue to businesses .

I'm informed that if one is unsuccessful in a job interview  these days it is acceptable to ask and be told why  .

I am curious to know why you allege "rachomics" has been petulant as it's not a view I share :flowers:

• Like 7