Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I suppose it depends how you interpret "major role". Its a subjective view. Professional writers rarely use adjectives in reports. "played a role" would have sufficed, which is probably what it did. Like I say I don't challenge that.

Its those who thinks its the answer to everything/criticize everything government do mob that exasperate me.

https://www.health.govt.nz/news-media/media-releases/update-genomic-sequencing

Here’s an example of how it was used to determine the scale of response needed for an emerging outbreak. 

Nobody is aiming to replace track and trace. They’re complementary. 

This covers the timeline referenced by the above press release. https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/437359/timeline-the-year-of-covid-19-in-new-zealand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the stinking enigma said:

I fully realise you have been open minded about the whole thing throughout. From the time you were sealioning to now. I suppose i should be grateful at least that you accept faster genomics will be required in the future to navigate through this. How we go about this is the question

Sealioning! I had to google that, great phrase

On 4/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, Happier diner said:

Yes. Tynwald was wrong. They know SFA about disease control.

If I extend your logic to other issues, then I inevitably get to the conclusion that the democratically elected people’s representatives (MHKs) know SFA about almost everything that they deal with. They are therefore reliant on the experts advice before they make their decisions. Given that Tynwald came to the opinion that genomic testing was ‘vital’ then I can only assume that they were given the relevant expert advice beforehand. It was therefore remiss of HE not to have properly briefed/advised Tynwald before they collectively agreed on the matter.

As much as we slag off MHKs for the government’s failures (horse trams, NSC flumes, SPC crew members not self-isolating, etc., etc.) it seems to me that subject matter experts like HE, who are behind the scenes, may be a significant part of the problem. Unfortunately, the GMP cannot hold unelected advisors to account for their professional failings.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, code99 said:

Unfortunately, the GMP cannot hold unelected advisors to account for their professional failings.

There are several mechanisms for dealing with these sorts of problems in DHSC and they have seem to work quite well.

Anyway, I think retirement looms for some soon ? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, code99 said:

it seems to me that subject matter experts like HE, who are behind the scenes, may be a significant part of the problem. Unfortunately, the GMP cannot hold unelected advisors to account for their professional failings.

Behind the scenes? Is it not the role of DoPH to provide a strategy for dealing with pandemic?

What surprises me is that people seem to think she is acting alone. Do you not think she is using her extensive networks in the UK and doing her research?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Behind the scenes? Is it not the role of DoPH to provide a strategy for dealing with pandemic?

What surprises me is that people seem to think she is acting alone. Do you not think she is using her extensive networks in the UK and doing her research?

Indeed, following what PHE strategy says may not necessarily make right for IOM though.