Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

44 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Then I apologize.

No need to apologise, but thank you. 

Zooming out on the specifics as to whether the IOM needs to have its own discreet genomics facility in the fight against covid, and looking at the bigger picture, the debacle with R G has been highly visible. Biotech was a sector IOMG was hoping to encourage here to diversify our economy and reduce the reliance on the finance sector,  which is becoming increasingly vulnerable.

HQ made a statement about the accreditation of RG's facility, or lack thereof, which is challenged by RG.  A biotech company looking at relocating to the island will look at the whole thing, but specifically the lack of government support for its own existing industry and may well decide that the island doesn't really want to foster the sector, possibly through a lack of understanding of the industry,  and decide against the move. 

That is apart from the specific role of RG, but more indicative of the attitude of the government to a technical sector. 

Andy Onchan makes the point about a lack of an IP register and legal means to protect locally developed innovation.  I added that some form of registry which requires such companies to meet minimum industry requirements in order to establish their credentials on the world stage would also help.  Much like the ship registry which requires vessels on it to meet certain internationally recognised technical  and inspection requirements giving credibility to the vessels registered on it. 

In summary, on the one hand IOMG is encouraging biotech, but on the other, saying its not a proper sector because they won't use it. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just because Dr Glover is a “ home grown expert” in this field does not mean the IOM should ploughing its own furrow. The data feed into Liverpool is valuable in itself and means we can share the benefits.

I am sure we have plenty of home grown experts in other fields who have made important national ( British) and international contributions in science and other fields without all this hoo hah

The data would’ve been shared regardless of which lab processed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Exactly. That's what scientists do.

Well maybe those developing chemical weapons and other weapons of mass destruction in pursuit of world domination wouldn’t want to share their data.

I am thinking along the lines of those scientists working for Goldfinger in the James Bond movies. Don’t think he would be too happy if they were to share their data ( chemical composition, test results etc) with scientists working for more legitimate organizations 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well maybe those developing chemical weapons and other weapons of mass destruction in pursuit of world domination wouldn’t want to share their data.

I am thinking along the lines of those scientists working for Goldfinger in the James Bond movies. Don’t think he would be too happy if they were to share their data ( chemical composition, test results etc) with scientists working for more legitimate organizations 

And this is what is wrong with the world, Don't watch the films until you have read the books.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

are you expecting Dr G to start her next interview with Paul Moulton by spinning round in a chair while stroking a cat?

"No Mr Ashford, I expect you to convolut"

• Haha 8

News in the Financial Times today that Porton Down will be expanded with a £30 million investment from UK Government to assess Covid 19 new strains and to test vaccines against them.

Causing conversion at present are the P.1 from Brazil and the B1.1.7 with a further mutation called E484K. B 1.351 which has showed signs of evading vaccine induced immunity may become more dominant in future the article says.

Apparently there are 737 cases of the B1.1.351 variant and 82 cases of the P.1. variant in the UK. 

The variant in India B.1.617 has been found in hundereds of cases in the UK but is not regarded as significantly concerning.

Are we really out of the woods yet ?

Edited by Apple

59 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

think bigger, moonraker .

On 5/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, Rhumsaa said:

are you expecting Dr G to start her next interview with Paul Moulton by spinning round in a chair while stroking a cat?

‘I’m Genomics…Genomics Galore’

’I musht be dreaming’.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, Rhumsaa said:

David Ashford is more an Oddjob, trying to shine under Howards Auric. Than Bond M together.

2 hours ago, Holte End said:

David Ashford is more an Oddjob, trying to shine under Howards Auric. Than Bond M together.

Does that make Bill Shimmins Jaws?