Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So who nominated these people for the EAG ? What qualities, experience, knowledge and independence do they bring to this specific role, or do they just move in the right business and social circles ? How are they the right fit ? Rachel excepted. 

No nomination process as such, just application and then selection for interview. The biggest issue I had was that the application period was only 7 days and it wasn't well advertised. I wasn't aware of the other people selected until the Tynwald paper was published but there are a few names I recognise, some of whom I've met over the last year during COVID. 

2 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

I love this forum ‘this government is shit and requires oversight’

who are these clowns who think the can advise and give oversight to our government. I bet they are shit... 

ha ha ha ha. 

The Island’s government most assuredly needs oversight; on present evidence it’s never needed it more. EAG is not an oversight body. Its purpose is to advise at times of emergency.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So who nominated these people for the EAG ? What qualities, experience, knowledge and independence do they bring to this specific role, or do they just move in the right business and social circles ? How are they the right fit ? Rachel excepted. 

I don’t think it’s a case of being nominated for the role, more putting yourself forward if I understand Dr Glovers post correctly.

Have you ever employed someone? Examined their curriculum vitae and evaluated their experience, knowledge and independence they would bring to the position? I have and their movements in the “right “ business and social circles was not a consideration.

Why would Dr Glover be an exception to this process?

5 hours ago, code99 said:

It seems to me that HE, being a typical bureaucrat, was afraid to think ‘outside the box’ and was either incapable of comprehending Dr Glover’s ground breaking scientific methodology, 

It’s not ground breaking scientific methodology. I’m sure she herself would not claim to have invented genomics. While she may or may not be good at it, It has been around a while.

48 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s not ground breaking scientific methodology. I’m sure she herself would not claim to have invented genomics. While she may or may not be good at it, It has been around a while.

Been a while since you visited Bride then?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I did link to the Linkedin accounts of each of the others and to the Tynwald memo explaining how they were chosen.  You could try reading those.

7 hours ago, display name said:

They do.  "Oh dear,I'd suggest you be careful,that could land you in an emergency" 

They’ll be busy then.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I did link to the Linkedin accounts of each of the others and to the Tynwald memo explaining how they were chosen.  You could try reading those.

I had a skim look Roger but it's for this specific role I was asking. Public emergencies bring their own specific problems and a need for a certain skill set and experience. 

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t think it’s a case of being nominated for the role, more putting yourself forward if I understand Dr Glovers post correctly.

Have you ever employed someone? Examined their curriculum vitae and evaluated their experience, knowledge and independence they would bring to the position? I have and their movements in the “right “ business and social circles was not a consideration.

Yes, but interviewing bar persons for the outback is a little different.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Its not a job. Its a place on a committee as I understand it. A panel of people with possibly opposing views